• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
the dubbing of the songs.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quote
So, we all know that there are many people who dis-like the idea of dubbing theme songs/j-pop. I'm indifferent about it. But i would like to know....is what the do to dub it?

Example; in the song "through the years and far away" off of voices of a distant star, It sounds like a, sorry if this offends anyone, really nice voice of a japanese girl person but mutelated into a crappy english voice.

Are they taking the individual sounds a morphing it to the "english sounding words"? or is it just some one who cant really speak english well...

I know alot of people are thinking "this ass, he doesnt know how hard it is to speak japanese" and you're right, I dont, (except for a few words), but anyone who learns another language will have a funny accent.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I think most companies take the instrumental versions of whatever song they're dubbing and then voice it over with an English singer. I'm not claiming I do know how they actually do this, but I would surmise that as a pretty easy way to do so. I also haven't heard too many dubbed songs to begin with, so maybe I'm completely clueless about this.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:22 am Reply with quote
I remember back in the dark ages of anime in the US. Many of the songs were dubbed into English. They used to be pretty good. I'm quite fond of my "P-Anime: Best of Best" Pioneer songs CD.

I'm not familiar with how its done, but I surmise that Tony K is correct. IT could possibly be that ADV didn't want to spend the extra money on that (why dub it at all, if that is the case). 'Hoshi no Koe' was probably a bit of a risk, I personally couldn't see spending a dollar per minute for any form of entertainment. I waited and got it on sale for $17.
Meson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:14 am Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:

Example; in the song "through the years and far away" off of voices of a distant star, It sounds like a, sorry if this offends anyone, really nice voice of a japanese girl person but mutelated into a crappy english voice..

The Main Theme song to Voices of a Distant Star "Through the Years and Far Away", which is sung by Japanese pop singer Low, is sung by Low in English. The American version is unedited compared to the Japanese version. The Engrish used is how the Japanese speak English.

Just so you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jkn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote
Dubs... typically if the original masters are still available - they'll replace the vocal track with the new one. Music usually gets stuck in a rights issue though - the studio may have a license to the recording, but then will have to negotiate a separate license to get at the masters to record a dub. (From the record label/copyright holder point of view... now someone *wants* the track and is willing to pay more for it...there's a bit of bargaining leverage.) The more recent the recording - and if the track was specifically written for the project makes a difference vs. going out and licensing a pop tune.

Slightly O.T.: Music is the sticky point to a lot of dvd releases - (anime or non-anime) - the studio may have secured the license to a theatrical release or broadcast - but not for tape/dvd rights. This has held up (or completely prevented) many releases of old tv shows and movies. If you've ever run across those really (really really) cheap dvd's of tv shows where the theme song is different - the reason is the studio didn't renew the copyright on the actual show so it's in the public domain, but they copyright on the music is still in effect. Quick non-anime examples of 60's era tv shows where this happened: Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, and Beverly Hillbillies.
echocharlie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:08 am Reply with quote
For some older series, you can't find instrumental versions, and the song is on the original track, not the M&E track. When this happens, sometimes the companies have to hire musicians to duplicate the song and then sing over it.

Some companies translate the song, some just use the music and liberally change the words. It's a tough call, because close translations don't often work well when sung. When you have translators and adr script writers doing lyric-writing, the results often leave a lot to be desired. At one point, companies hired song-writers to write lyrics to the songs, but this doesn't always work out either. The phrasing of Japanese and English are just different, and lyrics don't make transition well.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
Most of the time, they re-write the song in it's entirety.

Personally I prefer the original Japanese soundtracks, but occasionally they come up with a classic English dub - Voices from Macross Plus being one - I just love both versions.

If you want to hear a Japanese singer produce a superb rendition of a foreign language song, then listen to Maria-sama Ga Miteru Episode 13, where Rosa Kanina (played by Kino) sings Ave Maria. I've got both OST's and was really disappointed that Ave Maria wasn't on them Sad

JBV^_^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1