• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedComet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Anybody else read the Hellsing manga series besides me?It is a lot better than the anime version. Alucard is one awesome dude and is so cool. Anderson is also a pretty interesting antagonist but I get annoyed with the way he talks. This is a must have series in my opinion.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I have read and own all the volumes that are currently out in the states. I absolutely love the series and it's definitely one of the best series I own. I'm still awaiting future releases and I can't wait to see what's going to happen to Alucard, Hellsing Organization, and of course the Vatican.
zombry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
i think how he talk is completetly normal but I've never seen the anime before but the book is always better
NetDiver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:05 am Reply with quote
I myself like the manga much better than the anime. I saw the anime first and thought it was ok. Nothing spectacular, just a bunch of cool characters blasting bad guys away to their hearts content. Then Dark Horse started releasing the manga and suddenly the there was plot to the whole story. My advice is to read the manga. One thing I don't like is the way the translators use different dialects of English. Sure you can't mistake that hunter from Vatican to nothing but Irish or those Nazis to be any other than German, but it makes the text hard to follow sometimes Anime catgrin + sweatdrop .
Tsubomi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:09 am Reply with quote
I personally love Hellsing, and out of all the manga that I have read so far, I think it is one of the best. At the moment I'm only as far as the fourth book, (I have no idea how many books are out, our local book store is really s...l...o...w as far as that's concerned). I've only seen the first two Hellsing anime and they were quite different. One thing is for sure, I can't wait until the next book(s) come to our store Anime hyper .
cboudreau

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:20 am Reply with quote
I would have to agree with some of the posters, here. I've seen some of the anime and have read some of the manga being released by Dark Horse, and I find myself enjoying the manga more. The main reason for this is I find the manga more interesting visually than the anime.
qollocust

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Tsubomi wrote:
I personally love Hellsing, and out of all the manga that I have read so far, I think it is one of the best. At the moment I'm only as far as the fourth book, (I have no idea how many books are out, our local book store is really s...l...o...w as far as that's concerned). I've only seen the first two Hellsing anime and they were quite different. One thing is for sure, I can't wait until the next book(s) come to our store Anime hyper .

The Hellsing release has been really slow. I've trained myself not to even plan ahead to when they are suppose to come out because I'd be waiting for months.

It is quite excellent though. I love everything about Hellsing.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing is good, campy fun. The art is rich with detail, the characters are over the top (in this case that's a good thing), and the story is well paced. I agree that the anime really didn't do the manga justice, and apparently Hirano also agrees. He was supposidly so displeased with Gonzo's work that he did not let them animate a second season, at least until he has more matterial for them to work with.
Quote:
Sure you can't mistake that hunter from Vatican to nothing but Irish

And just so you know, Anderson is Scottish, which would explain why no one understands him Wink
NetDiver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:14 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
And just so you know, Anderson is Scottish, which would explain why no one understands him Wink

Really Shocked? I had the impression that United Kingdom is mostly under the Anglican church's influence. If he had been Irish that had explained some of his Catholic connections. Hmm.. There's more this character than meets the eye Anime smile.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:57 am Reply with quote
NetDiver wrote:
I had the impression that United Kingdom is mostly under the Anglican church's influence. If he had been Irish that had explained some of his Catholic connections.

What gave you that idea?

True, the Church of England is (still) the dominant Christian denomination in England, but there's a significant Catholic minority in both England and Scotland. Not to mention the dominant Presbyterian/Calvinist faith in Scotland ("the Kirk"), which has nothing to do with Anglicanism.

This doesn't even take into account the many imported religions, of which Hinduism and Islam are the most noticeable.

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
che_guevara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I just read volumes 3 and 4 of Hellsing, and I own the first 4 tonkoubons. It's a very interesting series, it's very dramatic. It's MUCH better than the anime. I HATED the anime. I can't wait for the next 2 volumes to be released.

Only complaint, like everybody else: too expensive. I don't UNDERSTAND why Dark Horse's manga is so expensive.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:57 pm Reply with quote
With other mangas they usually use high quality paper, larger formats and priced based on how many comics the volume collected. Since none of these apply to Hellsing, my explanation is that it cost them quite a bit to licence the series. That or they pay DMP alot for translating duties.
NetDiver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:00 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
What gave you that idea?

Just things I remembered from school which was years ago. Anyway I was really tired at time I wrote my previous message so my head wasn't working right Anime smile + sweatdrop. My intend wasn't to undermine the value of other religions. I just asumed Anderson to be Anglican since he is Scottish, but that's generalizing. Thanks for clearing that up.
Cooro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:34 am Reply with quote
Hallo ^^

My first language isn't english, so I'm sorry if I make mistakes Embarassed

I read the first 3 Novels and I love this manga!
I'm very eager (I don't no if "eager" is right, I looked into my dictionary ^^ ) what will happen in the next novels!

How much novels are published in the states?
In Austria where 4, but i've only 3 Confused

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

XXX
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:44 am Reply with quote
Don't worry; you (and many other non-native speakers) are sometimes more legible than many native speakers on message boards Surprised But you write well enough that everyone can understand you (and yes, eager is the right word). Welcome to the boards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3