• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
mars and mars gaiden

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kashino kira

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
love for rei and kira... healing wounds from the past and looking towards the future in the most special way. Mars is worth the time. if you can share more info about mars the better!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Well it's by the artist who did flame of recca and I didn't like flame of recca. Too many silly moment and the character are annoying, espeically the princess.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Darkhunter, you're confusing Mars by Fuyumi Soryo with MÄR by Nobuyuki Anzai. Very Happy Mars is a shoujo drama about the relationship between two high school students, Kira and Rei, and the angst that ensues. To my knowledge, the storyline doesn't share too many similarities with Flame of Recca...

This is one of my twin sister's favorite series, so I've read all of it (and she somehow convinced me to help pay for all 15 books as well). Mars is an enjoyable read, although it can be overly dramatic at times. It can be very trite as well; for instance, every character seems to have some "deep dark secret." That said, I didn't lose my time (or money) reading it, and I recommend it to fans of "slice-of-life" manga.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Um... I'm not sure what you're looking for in this thread. Do you just want to talk about why its so good; people's opinions of it; or was there something specific about it you want to talk about? It would help to have a little more focus to the topic to get a good discussion going Smile .

I really love Mars; it's one of the first manga series I read and completed so its special to me because of that. I enjoyed the epic nature of it; and I thought the growth of Kira and Rei's relationship was brilliantly handled. I love the artwork and the sensitivity with which the characters were written. I appreciate that time was taken to develop and nurture the characters so that they would have depth. They have good and bad characteristics as well as bad memories that have shaped who they are- they aren't perfect.

Also, time was taken to reveal things slowly; questions aren't answered right away; and the reader is often left guessing, encouraged to figure things out on their own. Very refreshing amidst instant romance stories that give everything to you all at once. Its hard to identify with stories like that because real life often isn't like that. (Not to say that Mars is strictly realistic or anything.) But, I loved that Kira and Rei had to fall in love and overcome obstacles, and it didn't happen all at once, so it was very real in that sense. I personally think its romance at its finest.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
IvoryBirch wrote:
Darkhunter, you're confusing Mars by Fuyumi Soryo with MÄR by Nobuyuki Anzai. Very Happy Mars is a shoujo drama about the relationship between two high school students, Kira and Rei, and the angst that ensues. To my knowledge, the storyline doesn't share too many similarities with Flame of Recca...

This is one of my twin sister's favorite series, so I've read all of it (and she somehow convinced me to help pay for all 15 books as well). Mars is an enjoyable read, although it can be overly dramatic at times. It can be very trite as well; for instance, every character seems to have some "deep dark secret." That said, I didn't lose my time (or money) reading it, and I recommend it to fans of "slice-of-life" manga.

oops the "s" threw me off.
kashino kira

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
well... i just want to know how many would like Mars. I personally haven't got a hold of a copy but, i have read volume summaries and i loved it instantly. i did that in preparation for watching the live action who stars my favorite taiwanese actor and actress. it's really worth the watch and if i can download the manga i will be able to understand things better. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Appaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Mars is one of my favorite romances- and don't worry about downloading it, it's already been released in the US for a few years. I actually only purchased one volume, and read the rest of the series by reading it in the library, in the comic book store, and borrowing it from a friend. Worth every volumes, no matter how out of order I read it.
The extra volume kinda let me down, though. I was hoping for more stuff about the Mars characters, not just a big collection of short unrelated stories.
kashino kira

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
i don't think i've seen any mars mangas in the anime shop i always go to... there isn't much information about mars in the internet too, since it doesn't have an animation series...recently just the live action which stars 2 of my favorite chinese stars.. i also found out that there will be an animated Mars very soon... aiyo.. i forgot where i've seen it! Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1