• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do they have to...?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I find it infuriating that some manga publishing companies tend to change a style some time after they have a title out. For example, Tokyopop increased the size of their icon on the spine of the volumes by at least three times, which I assume is a way to advertise, but Shonen Jump/Viz is a bit worst. For Shonen Jump titles, they have the same font over and over, but they change it in Bleach Vol. 3. Any thoughts as to why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:06 pm Reply with quote
You got me. But my assumption would be that they just do it because they feel like it. They are a big company and probably don't care a whole heck of a lot if people like the font on the side of the novels. I think Viz is busier writing ad subtitles in Shonen Jump than worrying about that sort of thing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kagami no Kage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I was very angry about Tokyopop's logo change, mostly because they did it on unfinished series. My Gravitation will not look as unified if I chose to display it. My Petshop of Horrors is off. I just wish that they did in on new series only.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
xjadedragon750x wrote:
I find it infuriating that some manga publishing companies tend to change a style some time after they have a title out.

That's what infuriates you? Seriously? You have nothing better to complain about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:00 am Reply with quote
Kagami no Kage wrote:
I was very angry about Tokyopop's logo change, mostly because they did it on unfinished series. My Gravitation will not look as unified if I chose to display it. My Petshop of Horrors is off. I just wish that they did in on new series only.

Agreed

jfrog wrote:
xjadedragon750x wrote:
I find it infuriating that some manga publishing companies tend to change a style some time after they have a title out.

That's what infuriates you? Seriously? You have nothing better to complain about?

The tokyopop giant red logo and the different size for the Vagabond manga (first 4 is bigger and cost more than the rest). Many people who buy manga are pissed off at this (especially those guy at animeondvd). Not mad, just annoyed especially if you're a collector and actually buy the manga.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:34 am Reply with quote
I agree that it's annoying. I mean, did they really have to put a BIG ole RED dot on my book? It kinda looks like a warning sticker of some kind. Rolling Eyes

Any and all changes is/are annoying, because then they don't look nice and pretty on my bookshelf. Sure it's a little detail, but then, it's like it should just be that way and when we see it's not, it more of a "Uh, what happened here?" feeling. *shrugs* After seeing it happen to several series, I've decided that it's just something that's going to happen. Confused
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:25 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
xjadedragon750x wrote:

Yeah, why not complain about name changes, or bad manga that shouldn't have come to the USA PERIOD, or even Price changes?
che_guevara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
i HATED what TP did with the logo. I want my collection to be nice and organized.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
jfrog wrote:
xjadedragon750x wrote:

Yeah, why not complain about name changes, or bad manga that shouldn't have come to the USA PERIOD, or even Price changes?

Well, I don't tend to pick up bad manga, as you call it, so how would I know and why would I care? Someone likes it, so that must be good enough for the publishers.

Name and price changes? I'm okay with the price, and they don't ever change the price, not in my opinion, except for the Viz 2nd editions, but those are cheaper, so who's to complain? And since I don't know Japanese, I don't know what the original name or titles was. But I think the Shonen Jump translations are pretty consistent with the original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UberTai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
xjadedragon750x wrote:

Considering that people are entitled to their own opinion about certain matters, I think it's fair to say that xjadedragon750x's complaint is a valid one. I have heard tons of people complain about the same thing xjadedragon750x is talking about.

But, jfrog, seriously? You have nothing better to do than complain about peoples' complaints?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firegirl22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I honestly could care less if they enlarged the logo on the spine. I was a little annoyed at first, but I've grown used to it. It's not like they upped the price or anything major, they just felt like making their logo easier to see, thereby imprinting it on the mind more. Honestly, I like the logo more, it just looks somewhat strange when all my dragon knights are small type, and then suddenly ther're three that are big. Kinda funny now that I think of it, I'm gonna go have a fit of laughter now.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But, jfrog, seriously? You have nothing better to do than complain about peoples' complaints?

That's a good one.

But this is more for those who do buy manga with their own money, so having a mismatched collection isn't very pleasant. Aside from just the logo on the spine, for Paradise Kiss and Forbidden Dance, they changed the WHOLE format, cover, etc. Paradise Kiss was released as a second edition, but the original covers were a lot more pleasant, and was the original Japanese cover. But for Forbidden Dance, Tokyopop had released half of the series before printing the last half in a completely different format.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on. I don't live on a naked hippie farm, I'm just as materialistic as the next guy. But really...is your life so good that that's your only complaint? I mean, there are some things you could legitimately complain about (such as Miramax's butchering of The Thief and the Cobbler, for example), but you're just being ridiculous. Three of my volumes of The Book of the New Sun are in hardcover and the other is in paperback, my copy of High Society is an old printing with no text on the spine, and my edition From Hell is the godawful movie cover instead of the Eddie Campbell painting. Sure it's annoying, but that's outweighed by the enjoyment I get out of, you know, the actual content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Oh come on. I don't live on a naked hippie farm, I'm just as materialistic as the next guy. But really...is your life so good that that's your only complaint? I mean, there are some things you could legitimately complain about (such as Miramax's butchering of The Thief and the Cobbler, for example), but you're just being ridiculous. Three of my volumes of The Book of the New Sun are in hardcover and the other is in paperback, my copy of High Society is an old printing with no text on the spine, and my edition From Hell is the godawful movie cover instead of the Eddie Campbell painting. Sure it's annoying, but that's outweighed by the enjoyment I get out of, you know, the actual content.

Use a car for example: You're saying "I don't care how a car looks, I'll drive a beat up shitty car as long as it run." That's not true with most people.... they want a good looking car that run good too. They take care of thier car. It's something they can be proud of.

Collector want thier manga to look good and organized. Something they can be proud of. But then there are people who don't give a shit how it looks and will likey treat it like a piece of shit.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:07 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:

You know, you might want to give examples that people here know about rather than going on a rant like you usually do:wink: But whatever, I'm kind of pissed at Viz for skrewing around with Vagabond and Phoenix
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2