• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam SEED (Del Ray) vs Gundam SEED astray (Tokyopop)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:48 am Reply with quote
Has anyone read these two Gundam SEED title to give a comprehensive comparison and review. I'm pretty sure the del ray version follow the anime and the Astray series is suppose to be a new telling of it?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:53 am Reply with quote
Gundam SEED is what the anime follows. The SEED Astray manga is merely an extension off of the SEED story. It follows a junk crew, headed by Lowe Gear. They uncover 2 Gundams...Astrays...(I'm no Gundam expert) by the name of...whoa...Red and Blue. I think they also uncover the arm of a Gold one too. They find this in a demolished Heliopolis. Volume 2 of Astray shows a battle between Athrun and Kira, so the SEED link is only strengthened. I view it as kind of an alternate point of view on the whole SEED storyline. The art is different, the feel is different, but both series are only mediocre. Tokyopop is coming out with Gundam SEED Astray R sometime, I think.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:28 am Reply with quote
Gundam SEED is (shockingly enough) a loose retelling of the events in the TV series. It's much quicker in pacing, and changes a number of things up...also makes all the characters look insanely pretty (not that I'm complaining... Wink ).

Gundam SEED Astray is a side-story to the SEED anime. Like Liann said, it revolves around a Junk Guild ship (as well as a mercenary group, Serpent Tail) stumbling upon some leftover Gundams after Heliopolis is destroyed (see SEED episode three) and taking them for their own purposes. Astray and sequel X Astray are the main portions of the story I believe, with Astray R and the novel Astray B detailing the individual exploits of lead characters Lowe Guele (in Red Frame, hence the "R") and Gai Murakumo (in Blue Frame, hence the "B").

There's also another Astray edition now, Gundam SEED Destiny Astray, which uses the Astray cast (along with some new lead characters) to bridge the gap betweem SEED & SEED Destiny.

Liann, you were right; the Red & Blue Frames (Gold Frame, too) are Gundams. spoiler[Basically, Orb allowed the Alliance to construct their Gundams in Heliopolis (Strike, etc.) so that they could get access to the technology and develop their own mobile suits in order to establish a defense force for the country...the three Astray Gundams were prototypes developed without the Alliance's knowledge, and the Red Frame ultimately became the basis for the M1 Astrays (mass production non-Gundam version) seen in SEED.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:45 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Liann, you were right; the Red & Blue Frames (Gold Frame, too) are Gundams. spoiler[Basically, Orb allowed the Alliance to construct their Gundams in Heliopolis (Strike, etc.) so that they could get access to the technology and develop their own mobile suits in order to establish a defense force for the country...the three Astray Gundams were prototypes developed without the Alliance's knowledge, and the Red Frame ultimately became the basis for the M1 Astrays (mass production non-Gundam version) seen in SEED.]

Oh that's right. It's because of this that SEED Astray R has any plot whatsoever. :p
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
So which one do you think is better in term of story?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend SEED over SEED Astray, simply because I like the artwork better and it contains more of a story.

Astray does have a bit more action though--more OMG big GUNDAM! You're not taking MY RED ONE!

But, like I said before, both are mediocre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1