• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam SEED VA Cast

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiNeoX20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:23 am Reply with quote
If you guys could picture doing one of the MS Gundam SEED characters for the U.S dub. Which VA would you want to hear?

Here's my half list of SEED characters

Kira Yamato
- Ian Hawk
- Steve Cannon
- Brian Donovan

Misc
Scott McNeil
Brad Swaile
Amanda Winn Lee
Onalea Gilbertson
Brett Weaver
Sandy Fox
Wendee Lee
Mark Gatha
Carol Anne Day
Emily Brown

What about you guys?
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:06 pm Reply with quote
You forgot Brian Drummond! How dare you forget Brian Drummond! I sentence you to wathcing MD Geist for a week. *begins pouting indignantly*
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:23 am Reply with quote
If I were in charge of the US dub for Gundam Seed, here is what I would do.

First off, I would not send it to Ocean Group.

Let me repeat that, I WOULD *NOT* SEND IT TO OCEAN GROUP.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I WOULD NOT SEND IT TO OCEAN GROUP.

I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than the other dub outfits, but for the love of criminy. Their stable of voice actors are all voices on the cartoon Ed, Edd, & Eddy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DigiNeoX20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:42 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
You forgot Brian Drummond! How dare you forget Brian Drummond! I sentence you to wathcing MD Geist for a week. *begins pouting indignantly*

Well the list wasn't complete, here's some more

Brent Miller (my favorite Armada actor)
Tabitha St. Germain
Brian Drummond
Kirby Morrow

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than the other dub outfits, but for the love of criminy. Their stable of voice actors are all voices on the cartoon Ed, Edd, & Eddy.

Then what dub company would you suggest?
drakh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:49 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I WOULD NOT SEND IT TO OCEAN GROUP.

I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than the other dub outfits,

Regardless of what studio's doing a dub, the price will always vary according to how much time the client wants the dub studio to spends working on it, which again comes down to how profitable the show is expected to be. The dub for a discounted, low profile release like Silent Möbius may have been cheap, but the ones for big releases like Jin-Roh or Soultaker most certainly were not.

(EDIT: Another variable cost I forgot is the size of the cast. Using the same VAs for several parts also reduces the price of the dub.)

LordByronius wrote:
Their stable of voice actors are all voices on the cartoon Ed, Edd, & Eddy.

Not really. I think you'll find more of them if you watch Stargate SG-1 or X-Files.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:19 pm Reply with quote
[quote="drakh]
Regardless of what studio's doing a dub, the price will always vary according to how much time the client wants the dub studio to spends working on it, which again comes down to how profitable the show is expected to be. The dub for a discounted, low profile release like Silent Möbius may have been cheap, but the ones for big releases like Jin-Roh or Soultaker most certainly were not.
[/quote]

I'm assuming that Ocean Group is the cheaper dub studio because they're located in Vancouver. Meanwhile, Bang Zoom, Animaze, and Coastal are located here in the US, and many of the actors of those studios are registered with the Screen Actors Guild and must be paid a certain minimum.

As for Ocean Group, I think they'r best suited to cheesy Saturday morning stuff like X-men Evolution and equally cheesy anime. Beyond that, they're awful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Ocean Group's Jin-Roh dub was good. They're capable of fine work when they take the time to do it right. They have some splendid actors, but when you bang the work out it's hard to get it right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
drakh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:59 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

I'm assuming that Ocean Group is the cheaper dub studio because they're located in Vancouver. Meanwhile, Bang Zoom, Animaze, and Coastal are located here in the US, and many of the actors of those studios are registered with the Screen Actors Guild and must be paid a certain minimum.

Aside from the Los Angeles TV dubs, the only US studios that regularly do SAG dubs are New Generation Pictures, Gaijin/PCB Productions and Animaze (though the latter was mostly non-union until the last year or so). And from what I hear the minimum payments in the SAG dubbing contract aren't particularly impressive anyway... Less than what the average non-union studio pays. In any case, Ocean has always been a signatory to the Vancouver branch of the Candian actors union.
drakh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Ocean Group's Jin-Roh dub was good. They're capable of fine work when they take the time to do it right. They have some splendid actors, but when you bang the work out it's hard to get it right.
Again, that's up to the company paying for the dub. If the customer wants a cheaper, rushed dub, that's what they'll get. A studio can't simply decide on their own to put out something different than what they were hired to do if they want to get more work from that company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1