• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
War anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Well, one series that pops into mind is Tactical Roar. The technologies aren't too far off from current naval tech (as far as I know, anyway), so it would count as a 21st century-ish war story. Setting is the near future, where a huge, permanent weather disturbance in the Pacific has caused enough climactic changes to make air travel dicey. With that, sea travel makes a comeback, and with its expansion comes the threat of pirates (yarr.). Characters are the crew of a PMC-owned security ship.

With that kind of set-up, it could have been awesome. Unfortunately, it's painfully generic harem fluff, with a generically irritating computer tech male lead whose childhood friend is the captain of the ship. The action is serviceable and good at times, but the characters made me drop this one at episode 3. If you have a high tolerance for harem series, I can see no reason why you shouldn't try it, if only for naval missile spam.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Japan likes to view their role in WWII as the poor victims of bombings and don't even understand as a people the simple concept of what the Holocaust even is. Putting that into your mind, you can't seriously be expecting to see a lot of realistic Nazi anime (maybe manga, but not anime).

I haven't seen Zipang, but I would love to. I hope it gets liscensed in Latin America someday. *crosses fingers*

Grave of the Fireflies is a great anime, but it's about civilians stuck in the war, not real warfare as such. While the leading characters are the children of a Marine captain, we never see the father in military action. We just know early in the movie that the father's ship was bombed and that the man died leaving his children homeless and orphaned.

Millenium Actress covers a bit WWII again from an ordinary Japanese civilian point of view that vaguely knew a war was going on, but knew nothing about what the Nazis were doing or anything of that sort. The leading character meets in her youth a painter who is running away from the police because he was a military deserter and she's been chasing this nameless man her whole life which is the plot of the movie. The only warfare that appears in the movie is how the girl's house becomes bombed and that it was a miracle that a portrait of herself made by the artist before he left her life wasn't damaged in the bombings.

I've heard good reviews of an old movie called "Barefoot Gen" which is a Hiroshima bombing movie, but I haven't seen it myself.

I saw Blood the last vampire and it's a good realistical feel military/vampire movie that takes plae in the 1960's (albeit at 45 minutes it's daaamn short). A nice popcorn movie with nice animation and no mecha. I still wanted to stab that bloody school nurse though, ugh was that woman damn ANNOYING.

It's not a military anime by no means and probably something you wouldn't want to watch at all (too shoujo/dramatic), but Candy Candy briefly shows scenes of warfare going on during WWI because several characters in the series go to the war. One of them joins because he's a good airpilot and dies when someone destroys his plane. The other character goes to war as a nurse, but is never heard of again (probably died or something).

While it does have mecha, the mecha in Gasaraki look more like tanks than your typical fast and flashy looking mecha. I personally find the mecha to be too realistic and overly ugly looking. Add in the word: clunky as well. The series revolves more on political/military games and actually the mecha rarely even appear at all.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of War movies. I love to watch Band of Brothers, Black Hawk Down, Saving Privet Ryan, Perl Harbor, Flags of our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, ext. But I personally haven't found to many actual war anime. Now don't get me wrong, I have found plenty of anime with war in it. But very not to many "War Anime". I'm looking for an anime that gives me the same feel as when I watch the movies that I listed earlier. Anime that don't just have war, but actually put you inside the war and show you not only the action seance but also stories about the people. So far I've only thought of a few that could really fit this category, I would like help to try and find more that could satisfy mine and others needs for good "War Anime"
1. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
In my opinion, this anime fits the bill quite well. It really did a good job of putting the viewer into the battle and the situations in the series. It fallows the story of the 8th MS Team through out the One Year War.
2. The Sky Crawlers
A very heartfelt depiction of the future of War fare. Putting you in the shoes of a pilot named Yuichi as he comes to understand war and the true nature of his fate in battle.
3. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Telling the short story of a young boy named Alfred Izuruha, who finds himself in the middle on the final conflicts of the One Year War. Illustrating (as many Gundam series' do) the horrors of war. This is my favorite Gundam anime and I'd recommend it to anyone.

That's all I have right now, pleas suggest any anime that you think might fit the bill of a good "war anime". Thank You.

Last edited by Mushi-Man on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well there are tons more series in the Gundam franchise if you liked those titles. I just recently saw the movie Vexille which is kinda futuristic sci fi but defonatly war themes, and its quite good, I reccomend it highly if you want that kind of action.
There was a nice series called Library War that I think was rather good, although its a bit softer then the movies you mentioned, but it does cary a military theme.
Theres also a series that I haven't seen but people have said is very good called Flag. I would estimate that thats a good bet for you since its gotton ravingly good reviews.

Apart from that Im not sure, good luck. And by the way, Im sure everyones gonna jump on you about this, the plural of anime is anime, not animes. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Apart from that Im not sure, good luck. And by the way, Im sure everyones gonna jump on you about this, the plural of anime is anime, not animes. Smile

Good point. It just doesn't feel right typing that (bit of a reflex). My Bad, I'll try to watch that from now on. And thanks for the suggestions.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Hot forum-user tip: if you are the first poster in a thread, the thread starter, you can change the thread title by editing the title of the first post. That means, you can correct errors in spelling, grammar, and even revise the entire title to a more appropriate one, if you feel there was something wrong with the first one.

Moderators can also do this, if we feel the title is messed up in some way (e.g., contains spoilers).

- abunai
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip, I also went ahead and fixed any of the other moments I used "animes" just to get it out of the way.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I've not seen it, but a mecha-based spin on the atrocities/problems of war I've heard of is Gasaraki, but that's the only one that springs to mind immediately. Seemed interesting from what I read of it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I've not seen it, but a mecha-based spin on the atrocities/problems of war I've heard of is Gasaraki, but that's the only one that springs to mind immediately. Seemed interesting from what I read of it.

Gasaraki is a good Anime, and does sort of look at war. But its focus by far is mysticism, especially of the Japanese kind. That said, if you want to watch THE most accurate depiction of Mecha in all of Anime, then Gasaraki is point blank the Anime to beat. But a War Anime? No, the link is tenuous at best.

A better example might be Zipang. Apart from the time travel and the deliberate mixing up of real WW2 events in order to put certain people in certain places, it is a very good depiction of war, right down to the hardware and the tactics and the military uniforms. Might be a worthwhile look. Just do yourself a favour and be ready to watch it subbed, since the dub is sub-par. Oh, and ah, be prepared for a lacklustre ending. Still, the rest of it is very good, and really gets you into the atmosphere.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Gasaraki is a good Anime, and does sort of look at war. But its focus by far is mysticism, especially of the Japanese kind. That said, if you want to watch THE most accurate depiction of Mecha in all of Anime, then Gasaraki is point blank the Anime to beat. But a War Anime? No, the link is tenuous at best.

A better example might be Zipang. Apart from the time travel and the deliberate mixing up of real WW2 events in order to put certain people in certain places, it is a very good depiction of war, right down to the hardware and the tactics and the military uniforms. Might be a worthwhile look. Just do yourself a favour and be ready to watch it subbed, since the dub is sub-par. Oh, and ah, be prepared for a lacklustre ending. Still, the rest of it is very good, and really gets you into the atmosphere.

Haven't seen Garasaki yet, but Armored Trooper VOTOMS is also a realistic as you can get for a mecha show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Haven't seen Garasaki yet, but Armored Trooper VOTOMS is also a realistic as you can get for a mecha show.

I don't want to turn this into a "Which Mecha Anime is the Most Realistic?" thread, but Gasaraki wins hands down in the realism stakes, Mecha-wise at least. I will however concede that Armored Trooper VOTOMS is a much, much better War Anime.

Read Wikipedia's article for more information about Gasaraki.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Totally OT, but I feel Dai-Guard gives a painfully (in the comedic sense) realistic portrayal of what a robot would be like if it had to contend with things like real-world physics.

I don't think that besides some Gundams, a lot of anime deal with war in any kind of realistic fashion, but there are the occasional rarities. War's a tough subject to tackle, and it's uncommon to find animated portrayals.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps not quite what the OP is looking for (as I get the sense that Mushi Man is looking for something that focuses on the battling and people doing the battling), but Grave of the Fireflies is a great look at war from the perspective of those who are living in a country where attacks are tacking place. So while I might not compare it to what is being looked for (although I personally do not like war movies, so haven't seen any of those), I would consider it a pretty essential movie for a war collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
I don't know if these count, you an decide for yourself.

Area 88, A Japanese soldier is tricked by his "best friend" into signing on as a pilot in a war zone. To win his freedom, he must earn $1,000,000. The friend wanted to marry the pilots girlfriend.

Madlax isn't a war series per se, but had war plays a part of the series and intersects in the lives of the main characters.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
I saw dtm42 recomended Zipang already, this should be completely up your alley if you are looking for an anime focused on war, and it was a very good show.

I would also recomend Barefoot Gen. This shows a lot of the effects of the war and it's something I simply think doesn't get enough attention, it was excellent, if difficult in parts, to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7