• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
North American Created Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:24 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:19 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean, exactly? I've heard of Mangazine, and of course the Tokyo Pop rising stars contest cause my bf is entering, but I don't know about the other two.

I think it's a good idea, though that manga companies are beginning to look into American manga artists for publication. Adam Warren is so popular, but, IMHO, he sucks. He's a wanna-be manga artist, who just fits into the stereotype of big lips, eyes and breasts.

But anyway, what do you mean, exactly? ;P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:00 am Reply with quote
Well, they're good comics, but I'm one of those sticklers that just hate seeing the words anime and manga attached to anything that isn't japanese by nature. Mind you, I don't hate them, just their use of the words, but that's just me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
genericanimefan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:24 am Reply with quote
I think that the terms "manga influenced" or "manga style" are better suited for non-Japanese comic authors who draw the Japanese style. I define manga and anime as comics and animation originating from Japan.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:02 pm Reply with quote
genericanimefan wrote:
I think that the terms "manga influenced" or "manga style" are better suited for non-Japanese comic authors who draw the Japanese style. I define manga and anime as comics and animation originating from Japan.

Yes, Fred Gallagher has been careful to call Megatokyo "online Anime/Manga Doujinshi" as opposed to simply "online manga."

I will in fact be visiting this isse (again) in an editorial soon.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Some people point out that "manga" and "anime" are the Japanese terms for comics and animation in general. Since Japanese folks would call a Disney cartoon anime and an issue of Eightball manga, it isn't worth sweating blood over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
caulfield

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Is that true? But isn't there a scene in Otaku no Video where a fanboy angrily explains to a judgemental drunkard that there is a difference between cartoons and anime? And I think someone told me once that the word "anime" was coined by the French specifically referencing Japanese animation... Could have been unreliable though.
Case

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:04 pm Reply with quote
caulfield wrote:

And I think someone told me once that the word "anime" was coined by the French specifically referencing Japanese animation... Could have been unreliable though.

Can you please just read this thread, so I don't have to listen to someone go into Berserker-rant mode AGAIN?

Thank you.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:08 pm Reply with quote
caulfield wrote:

And I think someone told me once that the word "anime" was coined by the French specifically referencing Japanese animation... Could have been unreliable though.

Not quite. It's been proposed (see the links) that the Japanese word Anime was derived from French.

sailormech wrote:

Can you please just read this thread

Also worth reading, this lexicon entry.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:48 am Reply with quote
So while using the terms anime and manga to refer to non-japanese product is technically accurate, in common english parlance it can be confusing.

I like the term Amerimanga for western-drawn comics in a Shonen Jump style, but maybe Gaijin Manga would be better, considering that there America does not constitute the entire Western world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
genericanimefan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:49 pm Reply with quote
caulfield wrote:
Is that true? But isn't there a scene in Otaku no Video where a fanboy angrily explains to a judgemental drunkard that there is a difference between cartoons and anime?

Technically, there is no difference between cartoons and anime since they both fall under the animation category. However, I consider animation that is labeled "anime" as being of Japanese origin. Confusing, yes? For example, if Cowboy Bebop was written and animated over here in the United States, then I wouldn't consider it "anime" even though it would be in that style of animation. Another example would be if the evil empire of Disney Laughing decided to pack up and move to Japan and animate their next film with a Japanese staff, then the said film would be considered "anime" since it originated from Japan.

So, even though Japanese animation has a definite identifiable style, I still can't bring myself to call any animation outside of Japan "anime".

Aaron White wrote:
I like the term Amerimanga for western-drawn comics in a Shonen Jump style, but maybe Gaijin Manga would be better, considering that there America does not constitute the entire Western world.

Hey, I like the Gaijin Manga term as well. It immediately indicates that the art will be in that style, but at the same time, it's identifying itself as Japanese.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I didn't come op with the term Gaijin Manga myself. I can't remember where I picked it up from, though.
caulfield

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I see...

This reminds me of that bitter argument in the world of online comics when Scott Kurtz (PvP) drew a distinction between independent and alternative comics. It all boiled down to semantics.

I didn't mean to attempt and stir up any senseless old debates about the meaning and etymology of the term anime, and I applogize for my possible carelessness. GenericAF brings up an interesting point... Neither of the examples alone would probably be considered "anime" by the global fandom. The true definition then of genuine anime exists out of context in a vague intermingling of criteria from both.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:34 pm Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:
Can you please just read this thread, so I don't have to listen to someone go into Berserker-rant mode AGAIN?

Thank you.

Very Happy Weren't you the one that gave me the lecture awhile ago about going into rant mode? Told ya the stress builds up.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Personally I go by the whole concept that the distinction between cartoons and anime is solely used outside of japan. In japan anything that's animated is anime, outside of japan it's only anime if it comes from japan, otherwise it's a cartoon. Same goes for comics and manga. Keep in mind that within japan they listed Tom and Jerry as one of the top anime ever, but outside of japan it would have never even been in the running.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2