• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do people compare DBZ with Naruto?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Kibamaru wrote:
The battles of Naruto are much more creative, and I don't mean the Jutsus, but their tactics. Shikamaru's intelligence in battles never fail to impress.

The problem here is that people aren't really drawing their comparisons right. Naruto as it is now is more akin to Dragon Ball than Dragon Ball Z. And in Dragon Ball, they didn't all fly and throw fireballs the whole time, they actually relied on different fighting styles and techniques, same as Naruto.

It wasn't until Dragon Ball Z that the over-the-top stuff began appearing. And what I've seen of post-time jump Naruto seems to be going right down that path.

Kibamaru wrote:
DBZ = focuses on fights
Naruto = focuses on storyline

Naruto's storyline is paper-thin, though. When it isn't trying to force a flat sense of comedy, it's all balled up in ham-fisted angst. The only really interesting stuff, like the Hyuuga clan's internal politics and the evolution of Shikamaru's character, is all kept so far in the background that it only surfaces every five chapters/episodes for about five minutes at a time because Naruto moping like an emo kid takes priority.

Naruto might have more character drama, yes, but that's nothing to be proud of when said drama isn't being handled very well.

dzeratul wrote:
And those are fillers and can't really be accounted for in the conversation.

Fillers are as much a part of the show as the story portions, so yes, they do count in this discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sirkozmo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:

It's true, but if you compared that with the ratio of the times that Gokou ended up saving the day, Gokou is still the one that hogged most of the spotlight in the series in comparison with the other characters.

I'll give you that. Some may chalk it all up to him simply being the main character, throughout Dragon Ball (+Z and GT), but I didn't mind it so much as a kid. Especially how he usually came in at the very last minute to save the day. (I'm talking the Saiyijin/Vegeta and Namek/Freezer Sagas here). I ate that stuff up as a kid.

Raven Shinobi wrote:

On a side note, Trunks and Cell saga were my favorite ones in the entire series, besides my favorite anime character Trunks getting all that focus, Gohan was the least one that I expected to defeat Cell, my money back then was on either Gokou or Trunks Surprised , but it made it up for me when Trunks ended up defeating Cell in his own dimension Very Happy

Growing up, Gohan by far was my favorite character as soon as DBZ came out. From the very jump of the first episode when Radditz steps on the scene, I was hooked. The Cell Saga was obviously my favorite arc to watch. Especially when he ascended to Super-Saiyijin 2 after Android 16 got his head stomped on by Cell. Classic........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4