• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD Second Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
heh, like EVERYTHING Haruhi, reviews are just as devisive. Like a lot of series that I've seen, I am going to skip much of this in the rewatch... but so what? Does that make the things you get so much less value?

If you still end up paying full price for it, yes absolutely you are getting less value out of it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
You do know that Bandai barely has any money to put out awesome boxs sets like they used to, right?

Young man, I've converted my entire collection to the two-sided thinpack DVD cases, which cost me a staggering $100 for three boxes containing 100 cases each.
(The first season I bought had 4 cases and a paper box, which was just fine in terms of cost savings).

If this is my cost, I'm quite sure Bandai could have saved a bundle because the stack pack costs more. Bandai could have easily released this series as FUNimation did with Spice & Wolf, Sgt. Frog, and Ghost Hunt, just to name a few.

The entire series most likely could have fit on two DVDs, which would have reduced even more costs rather than spew out 3/4 episodes per DVD to shove us 4 disks.

I'd say their choices of saving money are questionable.

dtm42 wrote:
Endless Eight is so offensive and mind-numbingly awful that it ruins the entire season. It pretty much ruined the entire franchise for me, not that I was a huge fan in the first place.

Now see, this was much better as now it's your opinion and doesn't belong to Key.

I've heard quite a bit of the E8 episodes and I'll have to derive my own opinion once I'm done consuming them.

Although, given I've watched many of my series many times, I doubt the E8 episodes will bother me at all.

It's Haruhi, for crying out loud. Eye candy, ya know? Wink
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Loved it. E8 was interesting. CD and extras were a plus. Thank you Bandai Ent.

Heminga13 wrote:
For those wishing for a complete box set, Japan is getting a Blu-ray box set with all 28 episodes of TMoHS (in the 2009 airing order) later this year. I know I would definitely purchase a copy if Bandai decided to release one here as well.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B003UTS85C/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=ja_JP
At least that should be the right link, I can't read Japanese >.>

Hey, it's got English subtitles on it if you can stomach the price. Christmas present maybe...? Wink
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess you had to see in in fansubs and to have participated in the rage fest as it was airing.

I caught it for the first time on DVD, and while E8 was going, I lost track of which iteration I was on, when the ending came I was pleasantly surprised.

As I posted in the What are watching thread, I just do not see how this could generate the rage that it did at the time, that carries over to this day! I joked that it is just another excuse that will be used to justify not purchasing something you obviously liked enough to be enraged by the direction it took.

I thought it was a unique stunt that ONLY this franchise could have dreamed of attempting. 5 episodes is only 110 minutes (minus opens and closes), kind of a silly thing to get really bent out of shape about.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I guess you had to see in in fansubs and to have participated in the rage fest as it was airing.

you are quite right, but if you imagine it this way... it wasn't 110 minutes, it was 8 WEEKS. Because you had no idea exactly where they were going with it, when it would end, what it meant? Nothin' So yeah, that caused a ragefest... now I'm thinking what makes it still go is that there were ate least 5-6 eps. that could have presented other aspects of the whole story, so in retro, it seems like a waste.

you know how some people get wrapped around the axle by percieved slights...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

I caught it for the first time on DVD, and while E8 was going, I lost track of which iteration I was on, when the ending came I was pleasantly surprised.

As I posted in the What are watching thread, I just do not see how this could generate the rage that it did at the time, that carries over to this day! I joked that it is just another excuse that will be used to justify not purchasing something you obviously liked enough to be enraged by the direction it took.

I thought it was a unique stunt that ONLY this franchise could have dreamed of attempting. 5 episodes is only 110 minutes (minus opens and closes), kind of a silly thing to get really bent out of shape about.

So I raged about Code Geass, and Gundam 00, the reason I don't plan to buy both is because I hated both second halfs and am not going to just buy the first season of a two season series. I have more pressing things like buying anime I liked.

Also 5 episode might not seem a lot to something like the Simpsons but Haruhi was a 28 episode series so it took a good portion of it and flushed it down the drain for a marketing gimmick.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
You say that a single block of episodes ruined the entire season for you, and pretty much the franchise as well. Yet you talk about looking at the "entire show".

You accuse Theron of ignoring Endless Eight, but you are doing the opposite: ignoring everything but Endless Eight.

Nice attempt to twist my words like that, because it sounds very reasonable and logical. But no, it doesn't work that way.

Key wrote:
And dtm42: stuff it on the "wrong grades" business. I am absolutely certain that a significant portion of the grades you'd give could be picked apart as "wrong," too.

Touch a nerve did I? Here's a tip; when someone says "but seriously", it strongly implies that what they said before that statement was not serious. Like as in, made in jest. You are almost old enough to be my father, I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

And yeah, I often give out incorrect grades. Not deliberately, not maliciously, but because I found it difficult to properly divorce the part of me that watched the Anime from the part of me that analysed the Anime. Also, the more I learn about Anime, the more I realise that the shows and movies that I once thought were amazing are actually not that special. Like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for example. But I do go back and fix those incorrect grades, when I get the time. And more importantly, I am not being paid to give grades to things, whereas you are. That means that if I give a good grade to a bad show no-one cares. But if you do the same, then people begin to wonder what - apart from you getting paid - separates you from them.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Season two wasn't so bad. But I'm not gonna buy the dvd. It's just not worth it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Touch a nerve did I? Here's a tip; when someone says "but seriously", it strongly implies that what they said before that statement was not serious. Like as in, made in jest. You are almost old enough to be my father, I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

And you need to work on how to tell a joke so that it actually sounds like a joke, youngling. A "But seriously" isn't necessarily enough to diffuse a statement that doesn't come across as at all flippant.

And to be clear, it's the "most of the time" part of the comment that touched a nerve. It doesn't bother me (much) to be told that I'm occasionally wrong, and there have been a few times that I've wanted to go back and change grades on an older review. It doesn't bother me much to be told that I'm too soft on such-and-such series, either, since there's hordes of people out there willing to be needlessly harsh. (The same applies for dubs, but that's a different issue.) If you or anyone else wants more opportunities to tell me I'm wrong or too soft, though, then I'm certain that the next review I have coming up will give them to you, as I know that the evaluation that I'll be expressing on a certain part of that series is not a popular one.

Now, to get back to the subject of the thread: I, too, hated the case design. I had intended to say something about it in the review but just forgot to add the comment in before submitting. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Now, to get back to the subject of the thread: I, too, hated the case design. I had intended to say something about it in the review but just forgot to add the comment in before submitting. Razz

That case does in fact suck (and it looks lame as f*ck next to my season 1 LE box) The disc illustrations are nice though! They are up there in my favorites, Media Blasters Berserk remasters being my #1 Smile Nice menus too. Bandai Ent can make some pretty nice products. Ken Iyadomi just seems like one cheap bastard. Can't blame him though...anime just can't be affordable enough for most.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned as I have not read every comment. But it's quite a different experience to watch Endless Eight on DVD vs when it was broadcast. On DVD you know it's going to be eight episodes and you can just marathon through it and onto Sighs.
With the broadcast it was one episode a week, watching each episode to see if there's some big difference and a conclusion. Every episode after the second you assumed had to be the final one, but you were wrong five times. It was really annoying.

So basically I can understand the review score. I think if Haruhi had been simulcast and this was a review of that experience, it would have been much more harsh.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Key wrote:

That case does in fact suck (and it looks lame as f*ck next to my season 1 LE box) The disc illustrations are nice though! They are up there in my favorites, Media Blasters Berserk remasters being my #1 Smile Nice menus too. Bandai Ent can make some pretty nice products. Ken Iyadomi just seems like one cheap bastard. Can't blame him though...anime just can't be affordable enough for most.

I put mine on top of my LE box because it doesn't suck as much as when you put it next to it. I thought about importing one of the R2 boxes, but I have feeling that'll be worse.

The two things I hate most about the case is 1) It's an irregular size, so finding a replacement that's the exact size is difficult and 2) It's a clear case, but there's art on the back of the cover. The second one bugs me the most. Seriously, just get an opaque white case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I put mine on top of my LE box because it doesn't suck as much as when you put it next to it. I thought about importing one of the R2 boxes, but I have feeling that'll be worse.

The two things I hate most about the case is 1) It's an irregular size, so finding a replacement that's the exact size is difficult and 2) It's a clear case, but there's art on the back of the cover. The second one bugs me the most. Seriously, just get an opaque white case.

As problematic as some find the DVD packaging (in which I don't at all), everybody should be grateful and thankful that Bandai didn't and doesn't take Section23's route and stack all the discs right on top of each other, which is so ridiculous. I end up having to buy new 4-disc DVD covers somewhere to solve that problem for myself, but I really shouldn't have to.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
As problematic as some find the DVD packaging (in which I don't at all), everybody should be grateful and thankful that Bandai didn't and doesn't take Section23's route and stack all the discs right on top of each other, which is so ridiculous. I end up having to buy new 4-disc DVD covers somewhere to solve that problem for myself, but I really shouldn't have to.

How often have you seen them do that, though? I have a lot of Section 23/Sentai Filmworks DVDs (most of the ones that they've put out under that label, in fact) and the overwhelming majority of them don't have stacked disks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eaglesdome810

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
Might buy this season in the future but it just kills me that one of the disc might have nothing on it but a marathon of the Endless eight. That is just stupid. The endless eight episode in itself isn't bad, but I didn't need to completely dominate over 50% of season 2. At most It should of been three episodes of the Endless eight. - -"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6