• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Org Tournament: Guide Write-Ups

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Why thanks for the cursing considering I was the one that nominated them. Laughing

Doubt I need to say it, but that was a joke.
Yeah, thanks for writing the entry guide, but don't you think revolutionary would fit them better?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Image: http://www.jwsanime.com/R/WR5-5.jpg

Wolf Pack, Wolf's Rain

Group Type: Travel group

Members: (right to left) Hige, Toboe, Tsume, Kiba (leader)

What Makes Them A Great Team: All four wolves come from very different backgrounds, which at first means they are often at odds with each other (particularly Tsume and Kiba). However eventually the initial personality and idealogical clashes are dealt with and they become a cohesive pack, working together towards their shared goal of reaching Paradise.
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Write up for Blue Seed

Best image I could dig up is here. Includes everyone but Kusanagi.

IDs for the picture, from left, are Kome Sawaguchi, Ryoko Takeuchi, Yoshiki Yaegashi, Momiji Fujimiya, Daitetsu Kunikida, Azuza Matudaira and Sakura Yamazaki. Not pictured is Mamoru Kusanagi.

Terrestrial Administration Center, Blue Seed
Group type: Government organization set up to protect Japan/the world against monsters.
Official members: Daitetsu Kunikida, Ryoko Takeuchi, Azusa Matsudaira, Kome Sawaguchi, Yoshiki Yaegashi, Momiji Fujimiya.
Unofficial members: Mamoru Kusanagi, Sakura Yamazaki
An organization set up by the government, the TAC’s mission is to destroy the monstrous aragami. Each member has a unique skill set that complements other members’ abilities. Each mission requires the team to unite, combining their individual strengths to defeat the monster of the week. The team is led by Daitetstu Kunikida, who is assisted by Ryoko Takeuchi, a former police officer. Azusa Matsudaira is the team’s scientist, studying the aragami for create weapons against them. Kome Sawaguchi, a former JSDF member, handles the heavy artillery. Yoshiki Yaegashi is a computer whiz whose programs both predict aragami activity and test models to defeat them. Momiji Fujimiya is the heroine and the newest member, a girl whose destiny is entwined with the aragami’s. Unofficial members include Mamoru Kusanagi, a half-aramagi whose duty is to protect Momiji; and Sakura Yamazaki, a miko who sees the TAC as invaders on her turf. Both occasionally work with TAC members toward its ultimate goal.

If this doesn't work or needs more, just let me know. Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/thecleric007/SuzakuSeven.jpg

Suzaku Seven (plus Priestess), Fushigi Yuugi

Group Type: Hero Group

Members: (right to left) (top) Mitsukake, Chichiri, Hotohori; (middle) Chiriko, Nuriko, Tasuki; (bottom) Tamahome,
Miaka (leader)

What Makes Them A Great Team: When Miaka is transported into the Universe of the Four Gods, she quickly is given the task of saving the country of Konan. To accomplish this, she brings together seven strangers to realize their destiny as the Suzaku Seven. All eight of them work together towards their common goal and many of them make the ultimate sacrifice before they are finally successful.

First off, Suzaku Seven (and Seiryu Seven) are the official English terms for the two groups.

Secondly, I had a tough time deciding on who to call the leader because I could make a case for Miaka, Hotohori, and Tamahome, but I think overall Miaka is the best choice for the position. Certainly she is leading by the end.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
As promised, my lovely write-up for our infamous Fushigi Yuugi antagonists (PIC1, PIC2 - sorry, I love original Yuu Watase artwork too much not to use that image):

Name: Warriors of Seiryuu (Seiryuu Seishi); Fushigi Yuugi
Group Type: Mystical Warriors (personally I think this classification fits them better than hero team)

Members:
PIC1: Yui - Priestess (former schoolgirl)
PIC2 (top, L to R): Miboshi, Nakago - self-appointed leader, Tomo - without his makeup, (bottom, L to R) Suboshi, Amiboshi - spy, Soi and Ashitare - wolf-form.

What makes them a great team
: Being quite the bastard, Nakago is the tyrannical leader of this group, rather than the Priestess Yui that the warriors are destined to protect. But he is an extremely capable leader and a master tactician who keeps the Seiryuu Seishi focused despite the sacred priestess they are assigned to serve suffering from so many internal conflicts. Even though the show's audience most likely roots for Miaka and her gang of Suzaku protectors, the antics of the diabolical Tomo and telepathic Suboshi, who by communicating with his twin brother (a spy hanging out with Suzaku) thwarts many of the Suzaku Seven's plans. Each teams' objectives are the same; help the nation for which their guardian diety represents achieve victory, at which time it will be awakened and bestow godlike powers onto its priestess. Ultimately Nakago believes he will bear this power by convincing Yui to grant him his own selfish wishes.

Yaay...

Name: Attacked Mystification Police, Silent Mobius

Group Type: Supernatural Crime Fighters

Members: (L to R in image): Kiddy Phenil, Lebia Maverick - field commander, Katsumi Liqueur, Nami Yamigumo, Rally Cheyenne - The Chief and Yuuki Saiko (bottom right). Not shown: Mana Isozaki and Lum Cheng.
group mugshot

What makes them a great team: The A.M.P. are a group of women who are tasked as a special team to deal with unexplained phenomenon that has been plaguing humanity since being intertwined with an entity known as Lucifer Hawk. Various threats in the form of demons, spirits, undead and their spiritual occultist followers pose a new type of crime in the city. Each member of the A.M.P. have specialties in dealing with the supernatural such as psionic abilities, enhanced spiritual sensing and expertise in weaponry designed to deal with these monsters. They sometimes work as a team they sometimes work alone. Either way they get the job done, while looking rather sexy in their somewhat generic police uniforms.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since I watched this series. I did my best for the write up, but if someone can do better, please jump in. You won't hurt my feelings and you will very likely improve upon mine.

Here's the image. ID order is listed below. It might be a little wider than you care for, Key, because I made it from a panned shot of the room. It was the only time I can remember all of them being in the same place at the same time. I hope it's usable.

Dragons of Heaven, X
Members: From left are Subaru Sumeragi, Arashi Kishū, Sorata Arisugawa, Kamui Shirō, Yuzuriha Nekoi, Karen Kasumi and Seiichirō Aoki. Not a Dragon of Heaven, but In the foreground with her back to the viewer is Princess Hinoto.
Group type: Heroes, fighting to save humanity.
The Dragons of Heaven fight to protect humanity in their battle against the Dragons of Earth, who seek to return the planet to its more natural state before humans appears. The seven Dragons of Heaven are bound by fate to wage this world-deciding battle against the seven Dragons of Earth. Battles are often between individuals, but the Dragons of Heaven are a team which assists and protects its members, and even cares about its enemies.

Last edited by murph76 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Are we including Hinoto with the Dragons of Heaven? I would say no to that one, since overall I think it weakens the group, plus she really isn't a member (and you can't stretch it to include her the same way the priestesses from Fushigi Yuugi can be). Plus of course you have the whole issue of spoiler[her actually trying to kill the team members] which would weaken the group overall if she was considered a member.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Are we including Hinoto with the Dragons of Heaven? I would say no to that one, since overall I think it weakens the group, plus she really isn't a member (and you can't stretch it to include her the same way the priestesses from Fushigi Yuugi can be).

I included her in the listing of members mainly because she is in the photo I submitted. Like I said, it's been a while since I watched X, so it's a little hazy for me. But I think you're right. I'll clarify the description above.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
I understand Key's pain, so he's not too appreciative right now of the participants. So on behalf of Key I want to thank everyone who stepped up and went beyond in doing extra Tournament Guide write-ups. I feel bad that not every nominator chipped in and did their own write-ups or maybe it wasn't clear who was supposed to write what. But several brave souls stepped up and completed the needed write-ups. I know Key did many of them, and thank you too for running this tournament and covering for a few of us.

Tasukeru o shimashita de doumo arigatou gozaimasu minnasan!
助ける を しました で どうま ありがとう ございます みっなさん
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Yes, I do appreciate those who came through, especially those who stepped up to do ones they didn't nominate and provided pics with characters identified. Tracking down pics and identifying characters in pics for series that I'm not familiar with were the biggest time-killer in this process; if I had to go to DVDs or fansubs then it could easily take an hour or more just to find a decent pic.

Anyway, this process is now done unless someone decides to offer up proper entries after the fact for the 3-4 which are getting the crap entries this last time around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 25 of 25