• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Tilting at Windmills Instead of Dragons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:08 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
While Ken is an "American Ryu" it is theorized he was based on Joe Lewis. Meanwhile, almost everything about the early Terry is based on Loren Avedon especially the movie the King of Kickboxing. I recommend watching it. The more I watched the more I realized how much Fatal Fury was based on a Hollywood movie

That was a lot of early fighting games, with influence from martial arts movies of the day or kickboxers of the era. The one that immediately comes to mind is Cody from Fatal Fury being based on Benny “The Jet” Urquridez, who to bring things full circle, did the choreography for the Street Fighter movie (although he barely had the time to do anything).
FishLion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:16 pm Reply with quote
RickyTheRat wrote:
I thought the censorship complaints were about outfits being censored and the Type A and B stuff. There's nothing gay in Dragon Quest 3 unless you count the puff-puff scene where a woman tricks you into getting one from a big burly dude instead.

I was referring to the fact that people are talking about things like companies choosing to alter games personally so they are marketable as a form of censorship. To me it sucks that companies would remove things but I wouldn't call it censorship. I only mentioned gay stuff because that was actually censored legally under the Hays Code in the United States
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote
animaters wrote:
if CERO can let fate/extra ccc out in the wild then am sure dragon quest wouldn't have an issue imo. it's clear this is being done to allow the game in all overseas markets

First, CCC came out over a decade ago, and what rating boards consider acceptable for a given rating can easily change in that time (for better and/or worse). And it sounds like even the developers don't know how it would go over today.
Quote:
Niinou also wants to remake Fate/EXTRA CCC. But nothing has been decided. It is quite the lewd game, so he wonders what the best way to go about releasing it nowadays would be.

Second, different publishers have different standards for different series, so Marvelous being okay with CCC getting a D (17+) rating is irrelevant to whether Square Enix targets an all ages rating for DQ.

Last edited by DRWii on Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
RickyTheRat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:42 pm Reply with quote
FishLion wrote:
I was referring to the fact that people are talking about things like companies choosing to alter games personally so they are marketable as a form of censorship. To me it sucks that companies would remove things but I wouldn't call it censorship. I only mentioned gay stuff because that was actually censored legally under the Hays Code in the United States

Well even official companies use the words like censored or uncensored in their marketing like how there's uncensored versions of movies or versions of anime streams labeled as being the uncensored broadcast like how HIDIVE does. Self-censorship to lower the rating or market to more territories is still called censorship so I don't have an issue with it. Going off the comments Yuji Horii made he's obviously not the one calling the shots on the changes so it's coming from somewhere higher up so I would consider that censorship if it's not the creator's decision.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The Monolith Soft video was so cool! Add me to the chorus of people wanting to finally play X, which almost goes without saying

There's so much Atelier coming out jfc. I hope they can use a lot of assets from the game now that the world is free from gacha!

As outside observers, unless they're someone like Uchikoshi who has a blast making fun of detractors in public, or an interview like this, we can't really know why creators are making choices--like are they becoming more accepting personally/attempting to include an audience they may not know much about/getting pressure from someone. I'm curious about his comment about there being more regulations these days are from the ratings board or Square Enix policy because DQ is marketed as an everyone (including kids) game. Though tbh, big company game development is probably messy and involves a lot more confusing memos than we think. Whatever the case, this is an interesting stage in Japanese game development, flaws and stumbles and all.

Speaking specifically about LGBTQ and more women-forward statements makes me hopeful about the future of the world, just like whenever I read a sentiment from a Japanese author like "this wouldn't have happened seven years ago" (Pesuyama Poppy's "Until I Love Myself", about societal change around assault accusations). And the joy and in-game focus on Sylvando in DQ11, who I love with all my heart.

(Now let's get more women being mentored to take story leadership roles! Not just saying this because I finally got to experience Shadowbringers this year)

Last edited by Ultimatum on Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bvick00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Bvick00 wrote:
Darkstalker at least got a re-release in the Capcom Fighting Game Collection from 2 years ago. Us Dino Crisis fans on the hand are still stuck in the freaking time portal, just waiting to be released Crying or Very sad

What? Dino Crisis was announced just a week ago to be released on PS Classics line coming to PS4&PS5, coming before the end of the year. Is a little wait that much of an issue?

Oh I wasn't aware of that, that good news for the PlayStation owners then. Xbox, Nintendo and PC gamers (such as myself) are feeling left out though Crying or Very sad
juaifan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:08 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
First, CCC came out over a decade ago, and what rating boards consider acceptable for a given rating can easily change in that time (for better and/or worse). And it sounds like even the developers don't know how it would go over today.

Kodaka said something similar how he doesn't think he could make Ultra Despair Girls today. Between CERO and the pressure to adhere to western standards it's a lot harder for Japan to make the kind of games it used to do. But you occasionally get a game like Visions of Mana that just seem to pop out of nowhere and be all "Yeah, we can put Palamena in a battle bikini for her Grand Diviner class" which makes you wish Dragon Quest could get a CERO B at least since she makes the new Female Warrior look like she's wearing a full body suit by comparison.

I think Korea and China are picking up the slack in that area though. They seem to be doing things Japan can't anymore and I'm interested to see where that heads in the future as their industries grow.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:11 pm Reply with quote
animaters wrote:
if CERO can let fate/extra ccc out in the wild then am sure dragon quest wouldn't have an issue imo. it's clear this is being done to allow the game in all overseas markets

Fate/Extra CCC has a CERO D rating, which is the equivalent to the ESRB's M-rating. Square Enix doesn't want to limit the audience of the biggest game they're selling to only people within a certain age group, hence the emphasis on keeping the game at the CERO's lowest rating. This is why the Female Warrior's design was also modified for games from twelve years ago that never left Japan in the first place. Not to mention, Fate/Extra CCC was also released a decade ago; CERO has only gotten even stricter since, which is why recent Japanese games like Lollipop Chainsaw Re-POP had to replace the gore with glitter and confetti.

Also: so what if a Japanese studio decides to do something for an American audience? That's how we got Stranger of Paradise and Vanquish. If the argument is that these people were "somehow" strongarmed into "changing" things, the claim is laughable. Consultants don't have anywhere near the leverage needed to pull that kind of thing off against a major corporation like Square Enix. This is why conspiracy theories are so dumb: they require someone being so influential as to be unstoppable in their plots, but dumb enough and obvious enough for people to somehow "connect the dots". Jog on.

Beatdigga wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
While Ken is an "American Ryu" it is theorized he was based on Joe Lewis. Meanwhile, almost everything about the early Terry is based on Loren Avedon especially the movie the King of Kickboxing. I recommend watching it. The more I watched the more I realized how much Fatal Fury was based on a Hollywood movie

That was a lot of early fighting games, with influence from martial arts movies of the day or kickboxers of the era. The one that immediately comes to mind is Cody from Fatal Fury being based on Benny “The Jet” Urquridez, who to bring things full circle, did the choreography for the Street Fighter movie (although he barely had the time to do anything).

... So, like, was Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez from The Sandlot named after Urquridez, or was that just a coincidence? Because they have the same nickname and everything. But more to the point, yeah, fighting games had all kinds of references to kung fu movies in those days. Like, the obvious one is Fei Long being a Bruce Lee stand-in and Balrog based off of Mike Tyson, and I mentioned Billy Blanks inspiring Deejay. But the mood for those games was also inspired by classic Hong Kong action films. A villain like Geese Howard wouldn't be out of place in a movie like Undefeatable or YES, MADAM.

Ultimatum wrote:

Speaking specifically about LGBTQ and more women-forward statements makes me hopeful about the future of the world, just like whenever I read a sentiment from a Japanese author like "this wouldn't have happened seven years ago" (Pesuyama Poppy's "Until I Love Myself", about societal change around assault accusations). And the joy and in-game focus on Sylvando in DQ11, who I love with all my heart.

(Now let's get more women being mentored to take story leadership roles! Not just saying this because I finally got to experience Shadowbringers this year)

Somewhere in Japan is a female writer on-par with Amy Hennig, and she's likely slaving away on some BL gacha game. I can only pray that someday she stumbles into Yoko Taro's office or somesuch, because God knows we're never gonna get Sayo Yamamoto writing a Persona game.

Bvick00 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Bvick00 wrote:
Darkstalker at least got a re-release in the Capcom Fighting Game Collection from 2 years ago. Us Dino Crisis fans on the hand are still stuck in the freaking time portal, just waiting to be released Crying or Very sad

What? Dino Crisis was announced just a week ago to be released on PS Classics line coming to PS4&PS5, coming before the end of the year. Is a little wait that much of an issue?

Oh I wasn't aware of that, that good news for the PlayStation owners then. Xbox, Nintendo and PC gamers (such as myself) are feeling left out though Crying or Very sad

As a Breath of Fire fan: Dino Crisis fans are entitled to every ounce of anger and frustration. I don't blame folks for feeling let down about the PS Classics re-release (and I beg your pardon for not covering it, the past few columns have been beefy). Gotta say, I'm more than a little frustrated with Capcom after years of them polling folks for franchises they want to see revived and their constant announcements of "wanting to bring back older franchises". Quit jerking us around already, we're not getting any younger...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... So, like, was Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez from The Sandlot named after Urquridez, or was that just a coincidence? Because they have the same nickname and everything. But more to the point, yeah, fighting games had all kinds of references to kung fu movies in those days. Like, the obvious one is Fei Long being a Bruce Lee stand-in and Balrog based off of Mike Tyson, and I mentioned Billy Blanks inspiring Deejay. But the mood for those games was also inspired by classic Hong Kong action films. A villain like Geese Howard wouldn't be out of place in a movie like Undefeatable or YES, MADAM.

Good question. I’m going to assume a coincidence from the same point of getting the nickname from the Elton John song, but Benny had already been doing fight choreography for Hollywood and Hong Kong films when The Sandlot came out, most notably the original Roadhouse and Wheels on Meals.

That’s another thought. I’m surprised we never got a fighting game character meant to be Swayze in Roadhouse.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:21 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
DRWii wrote:

Kodaka said something similar how he doesn't think he could make Ultra Despair Girls today. Between CERO and the pressure to adhere to western standards it's a lot harder for Japan to make the kind of games it used to do.

What kind of games? What kind of games? We're still getting ultraviolent slashers from Suda 51 and Swery. We're still getting fighting games. We're still getting RPGs from the big-budget Final Fantasy games to even the Hyperdimension Neptunia games. We're even starting to get erotic thrillers in the US like the Kara no Shoujo games. Lollipop Chainsaw just got remade. We got the Valis collections in the US. There's no better sign of creatives in Japan still making the games they want to make than CyberConnect2 still making Fuga: Melody of Steel sequels and Monolith still making new Xenoblade games after 25 years. You even acknowledge that the bikinis are all because of the CERO rating. Hell, it's easier than ever for someone who even wants pure, unfiltered Japanese erotic games to actually buy them off of DLSite (they actually have an English page now!). What kind of games aren't we seeing anymore?

Beatdigga wrote:

Good question. I’m going to assume a coincidence from the same point of getting the nickname from the Elton John song, but Benny had already been doing fight choreography for Hollywood and Hong Kong films when The Sandlot came out, most notably the original Roadhouse and Wheels on Meals.

That’s another thought. I’m surprised we never got a fighting game character meant to be Swayze in Roadhouse.

I have to wonder if that's because Swayze was never that popular in Japan? Like, I'm no barometer of Swayze's international popularity (who knows, maybe there's a gang of diehard Swayze fans in an apartment somewhere, making Roadhouse/Dirty Dancing crossover doujinshi while wearing muscleshirts as a busted TV in a corner plays Ghost). But maybe Swayze never broke out in Japan? A Swayze-esque character would be a great addition to Street Fighter, though.

Last edited by FinalVentCard on Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
FishLion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:21 pm Reply with quote
RickyTheRat wrote:
Self-censorship to lower the rating or market to more territories is still called censorship so I don't have an issue with it.

The company still made that decision, they had a choice. Uncensored versions and censorship are not the same type of censoring at all, I don't think a word should draw an equivalence between internal decisions and enforced rules.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:25 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

Fate/Extra CCC has a CERO D rating, which is the equivalent to the ESRB's M-rating. Square Enix doesn't want to limit the audience of the biggest game they're selling to only people within a certain age group, hence the emphasis on keeping the game at the CERO's lowest rating. This is why the Female Warrior's design was also modified for games from twelve years ago that never left Japan in the first place. Not to mention, Fate/Extra CCC was also released a decade ago; CERO has only gotten even stricter since, which is why recent Japanese games like Lollipop Chainsaw Re-POP had to replace the gore with glitter and confetti.

Also: so what if a Japanese studio decides to do something for an American audience? That's how we got Stranger of Paradise and Vanquish. If the argument is that these people were "somehow" strongarmed into "changing" things, the claim is laughable. Consultants don't have anywhere near the leverage needed to pull that kind of thing off against a major corporation like Square Enix. This is why conspiracy theories are so dumb: they require someone being so influential as to be unstoppable in their plots, but dumb enough and obvious enough for people to somehow "connect the dots". Jog on.

People also tend to forget that sometimes CERO is stricter than the ESRB or PEGI with some stuff. For example, the Resident Evil games overseas are uncensored, but in Japan they had to cut out the more graphic gore from it, like the guy who's torn in half in the RE2 remake has nowhere near as much viscera in the Japanese release. Same with Baldur's Gate 3 that had to have nudity and some torture be removed to be distributed in Japan with the equivalent of an MA. Welcome to cultural difference and the admittedly head-tilting mindset of ratings boards
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:46 pm Reply with quote
benzone wrote:
So yes, people on each side of the culture war are going to express their views. That is all that is happening. And the people who do the "enough with 'bothsidesism'" stuff ... are just people who claim that their position is right and the other side's position is illegitimate and is not worthy of consideration.

Why must we consider the perspective of people who on top of thinking that real women shouldn’t have any independence in real life. Should also not be main characters in video games well unless they’re dressed in skimpy outfits, have super model good looks, or have ample sized body parts.

Or don’t want LGBTQ characters that are written competently and respectfully (or at all). Instead of being written as shallow borderline offensive stereotypes.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
DQ7 being a good example, as a big part of Maribel's story is that she's a "tomboy" archtype and her lack of liking anything lady-like is driving her parents insane.

Oh sorry I was too busy hating Maribel for being a self centered, never my fault, pain in the ass. To notice her story arc.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Then Kiefer as the king's son & heir, is causing worries that his succession to the throne is going to be messed up because he's an "unreliable son".

I felt that Keifer’s storyline and the schism between him and his father was more over him wanting the life that being a member of royalty would not allow him.

i.e. adventuring.

Him being being seen as unreliable is funny considering the haphazard way he chooses to stay behind in the past while you have to be the one to break the news to his family.
Bvick00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:54 pm Reply with quote
[quote="FishLion"]
RickyTheRat wrote:
FishLion wrote:
Self-censorship to lower the rating or market to more territories is still called censorship so I don't have an issue with it.

The company still made that decision, they had a choice. Uncensored versions and censorship are not the same type of censoring at all, I don't think a word should draw an equivalence between internal decisions and enforced rules.

Censorship is still censorship nonetheless, whether it be government enforced or self imposed by private institutions.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Bvick00 wrote:
FishLion wrote:
RickyTheRat wrote:
FishLion wrote:

Censorship is still censorship nonetheless, whether it be government enforced or self imposed by private institutions.

"Self-censorship" is a crock. Deciding to change something in a work you're making isn't "censoring" yourself. You just decided to change it. Kevin Smith wasn't "censoring" himself by changing the ending to Clerks, he just realized, "Hey, this is a crappy ending."

Stories don't spring fully-formed from the aether, people make them. Sometimes you change your mind about stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6