• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Desert Punk(Sunabozu)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak6969 wrote:
Ya, I've only seen the first 2 volumes of this and it's freaking FUNNY, every other smart-ass remark makes want to hug the Punk with all my heart. and my favorite episode so far is when he had to spoiler[get rid of the cursed rock] that was the funniest thing I've seen in awhile......

"Ya....that guy, Nucking Futs" Junko

That episode to me proves spoiler[how truly perverted that guy is, and that was also the best deal he's had the entire series. It was funny the ghost was trying to kill him and he was ignorant to that as well. ] Laughing
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Of these four, Basilisk (which favors high-powered action and drama) is the best by a narrow margin over Desert Punk (which favors crass humor and action with a sense of humor). It's close enough in production, artistic, and writing quality to be a matter of taste. Yes, Desert Punk's hero is thoroughly unlikeable, but that's also the point; he's meant to be as anti- as anti-heroes can get, but that's part of the joke and part of the fun. I was quite entertained by seeing how much of a slimy prick Desert Punk could be in every episode, and the interaction with his protege made it even better. The dub was particularly good in that one, too.

Alright so since this thread is now open again (thanks Tony) and I have actually seen all of Desert Punk I figured I would share my thoughts on it, and how it's stacks up to the other three Gonzo titles around the same time.

The first time I actually saw Desert Punk was from the sampler "Babes Blood Beauty and Blades". As most of you know this DVD includes Dub and Sub version of Trinity Blood, Speed Grapher, Basilisk and Desert Punk. Having seen all of TB and SG (and the first volume of Basilisk) I decided to check out Desert Punk because as most people have said the Dub is very good. And so I laugh my ass off that first episode while Punk did that song (your mother a dirty whore) and I couldn't wait to get the first volume.

After so much fun with that first episode the rest of the series was so weak with every episode being about girls with the overly huge boobs......stupid. Just stupid, yes I know the first episode had the similar pitfall for our hero, but for 20+ episode it just became old. Not only that like you mention Key the Hero (who is not liked) whom I liked when he originally kept his helmet on, but no sooner did he take it off that I hated him. And I never felt that he was an ass that you love to watch (Aka House) Punk was just a brat, not worth my time.

But I give credit where it's dude, while I disliked the story the dub as noted is very good. And there is a wide range of VA who do quite a great job considering the characters.

Overall had I watched the first volume first (rather then the sampler) I probably would of had a better sense for this series and probably enjoyed it more. But I didn't and I felt that overall it was worth a rent.

As to compare this series with the other Gonzo project, I have Trinity Blood slightly above Desert Punk just because I like the atmosphere more (regardless of lack of story/second season) and also I enjoyed the characters more, soundtrack I thought were pretty much even, I enjoyed Trinity Blood Ending song more to Desert Punk, but Desert Punk OP was far better. As to Speed Grapher I found that series better then the other two, the story had some closure (Warning Speed Grapher ending spoilers Albet spoiler[I wished the Euphoria was explained more]) and the music is top notched, and dub has been very strong. As to Basilisk, I can't compare it really to the other series yet as I have only seen two volume, and I am hoping to get the next volumes soon since I order the next two volumes of Basilisk, Speed Grapher, and Trinity Blood during the last Right Stuf sale.

Delta
slow_moe_504

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that episode with the spoiler[cursed rock] is the funniest and spoiler[when they had to guard that load of shit]
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen up to the end of volume 2, but the fact that spoiler[he destroyed the rock by making it commit suicide from being in his wet dream] is f***ing hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2