• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - B-b-b-b-back and Lovin' It

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Any chance that we'll see a Maburaho review in the near future? Confused

By now, do you even have to ask? Wink It should be fairly obvious by now that if it's a big release, there's a 200% chance that I'll review it. ;p
Kalium

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
biliano wrote:

By now, do you even have to ask? Wink It should be fairly obvious by now that if it's a big release, there's a 200% chance that I'll review it. ;p

Oh, that'll be fun. Odds on Rental Shelf, anyone?
biliano

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder if she's going to do another "awesome" review on Sister Princess later on. Those are hilarious! Laughing

Yeah, I know - and I'm actually a fan of the series. Wink
deathbringer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get why Wolfs Rain gets all the hype it does, it's one of the few shows I've seen that causes me actual physical pain to watch it. I've alway found it to be just a horrendous series. With the exception of Nausica, I'd definitely switch the rental shelf with the purchase shelf. Then throw Wolf's Rain into the perishible section.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
Porco Rosso gets no love?

Joe Mello wrote:

I want to see a Scrapped Princess review. >< Darn lack of time and/or resources.

Both forthcoming in the next one. Very Happy

Yay! *glomp* Man, you're just getting lots of love from me recently. ^^;
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
What no GetBackers, shame on you Bamboo. j/k. Wink
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely like to see some more Shelf Life, because right after I fail my last final, I plan to go get some DVD's to watch. Your reviews, Bamboo, were right in line with my first reactions the last time I went to Best Buy.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned this. I noticed that the synonyms have been replaced with the phrases "Must Sell by" and "Other brands". Personally, this makes a lot more sense considering the title of the column (althought I thought the title was a play on Bamboo's choice of studies in college Wink ). It just make an already awesome column even better.

deathbringer wrote:
I still don't get why Wolfs Rain gets all the hype it does

It's hyped because of the fast-paced action, exquisite character developments, and captivating plot twists, just like you see in Texhnolyze, Ghost in the Shell:SAC, and Spiral (three other shelf-worthy titles and yes, this is coming from someone who proudly admitted that he's a Sister Princess fan). It's also hyped because it was created by the same studio (Studio BONES) responsible for producing the Cowboy Bebop movie and Fullmetal Alchemist, along with RahXephon and Scrapped Princess. They've been around for only five short years, but BONES is already making a name for themselves as a dangerous player in the anime universe. Gonzo should watch their backs! Razz
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
They've been around for only five short years, but BONES is already making a name for themselves as a dangerous player in the anime universe. Gonzo should watch their backs! Razz

I already trust the quality of BONES's titles more than I do Gonzo's (although I'm all about Kaleido Star! Wink).

I noticed the changes in "Must Sell by" and "Other brands" too; nobody said anything previously and I figured it had been changed for a while and I was just being spacy and not noticed it. ^^;

Welcome back Bamboo! You're a sight for this Shelf Life junkie's sore eyes. With this and all the new Sound Decision columns, I'm on cloud nine. Your intro was very sweet. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Kalium wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
biliano wrote:

Oh, that'll be fun. Odds on Rental Shelf, anyone?

I'm banking on perishable.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I already trust the quality of BONES's titles more than I do Gonzo's (although I'm all about Kaleido Star! Wink).

Oh, I love Kaleido Star. Very Happy Sora's one of the best characters out there. Now if only ADV would get off their @$$es and release Season 2... Evil or Very Mad

As for Maburaho, given Bamboo's recent track record for reviewing harem anime, I don't think there's any chance that it would be a shelf-worthy title (but I could be wrong... Wink ).
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Cloe wrote:

Oh, I love Kaleido Star. Very Happy Sora's one of the best characters out there. Now if only ADV would get off their @$$es and release Season 2... Evil or Very Mad

As for Maburaho, given Bamboo's recent track record for reviewing harem anime, I don't think there's any chance that it would be a shelf-worthy title (but I could be wrong... Wink ).

I dunno... I can appreciate the world that it's set in. I definetly don't see this being shelf worthy by any means, but I wouldn't have the heart to set this alongside so many other titles that deserve the title "perishable".

As far as Kaleido Star season 2 not being out yet? I'm just as pissed off as the next person that it's not out already. Evil or Very Mad It should have been out long along with the 2nd volume of Tutu. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
deathbringer wrote:
I still don't get why Wolfs Rain gets all the hype it does

It's hyped because of the fast-paced action, exquisite character developments, and captivating plot twists, just like you see in Texhnolyze, Ghost in the Shell:SAC, and Spiral (three other shelf-worthy titles and yes, this is coming from someone who proudly admitted that he's a Sister Princess fan). It's also hyped because it was created by the same studio (Studio BONES) responsible for producing the Cowboy Bebop movie and Fullmetal Alchemist, along with RahXephon and Scrapped Princess. They've been around for only five short years, but BONES is already making a name for themselves as a dangerous player in the anime universe. Gonzo should watch their backs! Razz

You forgot excellent music and animation. Wink
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
Nausicaa: Bloody brilliant. One of the best, if not THE best, animated films ever.

Wolf's Rain: I found it good but underwhelming, though I probably would have enjoyed it more if some jerkwad on another forum haden't ruined the ending for me.

King Gainer: I would have put this in Shelf Worthy. Tomino's a madman; he knows how to tell a good mecha story, he loves to fool around with openings (do the dancing robots beat the intro to Brain Powered, with its giant flying naked chicks? You decide.) and since it's him, you just know half the cast'll be dead by episode thirteen (disclaimer: this is an assumption, not a spoiler.)

Popotan: Sorry, but I like this show. It's cute, and the plot is interesting and original. The whole "magic teleporting house" bit is pretty fresh, and in the end I found it interesting enough to counteract any problems I may have had with the preteen fanservice. And I think the writers deserve credit for doing a bishojo series where the premise is NOT "OMG, all six hundred of these cute maids are completly in love with Dorkus the Shy Wimpboy!"

Bamboo's spot-on about Sister Princess, though. The show's wrong on so many levels, they had to invent several new levels just to accomdate it. And what's funny is, if you pretend the show is devoid of incredibly creepy incest overtones, it STILL sucks!
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder if she's going to do another "awesome" review on Sister Princess later on. Those are hilarious! Laughing

Yeah, I know - and I'm actually a fan of the series. Wink

I never really had the impression that Sister Princess was a very good series to begin with, but my interest has actually gone up a little bit, thanks to this discussion. I still don't think I will be purchasing the series, but I'd like to know what exactly is the appeal of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3