• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shrek 2 DVD With Millennium Actress Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Antz" went into production before "A Bug's Life" (it came out six months "A Bugs Life").

Ahh, the falicy of release dates. Yes, Antz did see its theatrical release before A Bug's Life, but its developement actually started 3 months after that of A Bug's Life. Antz came out the door first due to the fact that Dreamworks pushed the animation team to their limits [which also included bringing in an 11th hour team to finalize the film]

One thing most of you need to know is that the animation realm has always been dog eat dog. Look back at the Friz Freeling's "Rhapsady Rabbit" and Hanna Barbara's "The Cat Concerto" [both released 1947] and you can see the similiarities, and yet their uniqueness.

Quote:
Also, other then the fact that they both take place underwater, there aren't many similarities between "Finding Nemo" and "A Shark Tale".

More importantly, take into account the developement time of CGI films. The average CGI [from concept to finished product] is 5 years. If you only want to look at actual production time [this is not including writing, storyboarding, designing, suite design, etc] you are still looking at 3 years of developement. There is no way for a studio to have seen a teaser trailer, let alone the theatrical release, and say "we should do that."

Nothing in Hollywood is ever a secret. You hear rumors about current projects all the time.

However, in the case of SharkTale, it was originally designed during the production of Antz. No one really knows when the final draft of the film was made, and when the official production date began.

Quote:
I could also mention what Disney did with "Lion King" (Kimba The White Lion) but I don't want to bring this subject up again.

ANd yet, you somehow found a way ...
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:27 am Reply with quote
MA has been out for a while now on DVD. I picked it up at a bargain price as the store in question had hanged onto it for quite a while. It's a good movie, but I hadn't heard of it before it hit that store.
Advertising is everything, and MA received no advertising to support it.
And now it goes on as a trailer in Shrek 2 DVDs. That's good. How many movies get a second chance like this? Someone there thought well enough of the movie to give it a second chance, and they put it on a perfect DVD.
Shrek 2 has already sold millions, and it will probably sell millions more. Although there is no guarantee that the people watching the DVDs won't hit menu or next to pass the trailers, it's a good bet that many people will wind up watching the trailer. Remember, Shrek appeals to adults as well as to kids, so both generations will see the trailer.
Are all 11 million people that bought the Shrek DVD going to watch the trailer? No, but many will.
Will all the people that watched the trailer go to buy MA? No, but a percentage of them will, and any percentage of 11 million has to got to be good.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Lost_Toys wrote:

Millennium Actress only had Satoshi Kon on its side. His name is not large enough [even within the anime crowd] to bring in the larger reciepts. It is not due to the film not being dubbed. The film, itself, was very poorly advertised, like most of the animation releases to date.

Before seeing Millenium Actress, the only Kon movie I had seen was Perfect Blue (duh), which was good but not IMO a masterpiece. It was only after seeing MA and the complimentary Tokyo Godfathers that I could realize what a genius Satoshi Kon really is. The hype mill was toatlly silent about this movie untill after it was already gone, never giving me a chance to see it in the theatre (and the measley six screens didn't help either). Whenever the next Kon movie comes out I'm sure it will be a much bigger success.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quote
How many trailers are on the DVD, and in what order? I just want a little perspective here...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Shell:
Quote:
Before seeing Millenium Actress, the only Kon movie I had seen was Perfect Blue (duh), which was good but not IMO a masterpiece.

I'll admit PB's a little dated with that macarena dance, but I thought it was an provocative-albeit likely exaggerated-look into the seamier side of the Japanese entertainment industry. Plus it was a refreshing change of pace from pointless overhyped existential garbage like Evangelion and Lain.

Quote:
It was only after seeing MA and the complimentary Tokyo Godfathers that I could realize what a genius Satoshi Kon really is. The hype mill was toatlly silent about this movie untill after it was already gone, never giving me a chance to see it in the theatre (and the measley six screens didn't help either).

The problem is people expected another Perfect Blue, and when they didn't get it, they ignored it. [/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2