• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Sammy Sosa Anime!!??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:04 am Reply with quote
Please, someone tell me Animerica is f#%@ing with me. Appearently there is an anime based on Sammy Sosa's life called (big surprise) "Slamming Sammy". I kid you all not. Animerica had a review for it in their latest issue (The one with G Gundam on the cover).
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:17 am Reply with quote
From the Urban Vision website:

Quote:
From Lil* Vision! Slammin' Sammy: The Sammy Sosa Story is proof that you can reach your dreams! Sammy Sosa rocketed into the national spotlight in 1998, blasting excitement into baseball with Mark McGwire in the legendary home run race to break Rober Maris' record. Now see Sammy's life and career leading up to, and beyond, that defining season. Slammin' Sammy explores the importance of family, determination and hard work - valuable lessons for children to experience. Slammin' Sammy is a sure hit for kids and adults alike!

DVD Special Features include: Exclusive Interview Footage, Trivia game, Trailers, English remastered in 5.1, Spanish 2.0, motion menus, closed captioning, and a free gift inside each DVD!

Link to site? Sure! http://www.lilvision.com/sammy/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:57 am Reply with quote
Okay, so it is legit. That is really whacked. An anime about Sammy Sosa, who was the crackhead who thought that was a good idea. Well, from the screenshots, the animation looked BAD.
By the Way, thanks Cass
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:23 pm Reply with quote
It's not fake... say it with me: "It's so reeeeeeeeeal!" (From a commercial for a Sammy Sosa baseball videogame.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aya Reiko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:33 pm Reply with quote
It isn't anime, it's just animation. There's a difference.

I'm betting it's as good as Sammy's acting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that looks real horrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:21 am Reply with quote
As Aya Reiko said, it isn't Anime.

It was made in North America. We posted an article about it a few months ago, look in the archives under Urban Vision.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:22 am Reply with quote
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:44 am Reply with quote
What a releaf! Somewhere I had read that it was done by a japanese studio that also did animated biographies of japanese celebraties. Thanks for setting my mind at ease, learn something new everyday.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:48 am Reply with quote
I hate to make this a race issue, but would you have reacted differently if he was white? Personally, I don't care, as I don't keep up with sports.
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:14 am Reply with quote
[quote="GATSU"]
I hate to make this a race issue, but would you have reacted differently if he was white?[/quote]

No, this is not a race issue. If they made a Mark Mcquire anime it would be as equally retarded.
Thanks Temp for the clarification. I don't know why Animerica did a review on it since it was made in the US (but I guess that is Animerica for ya)
TheAngstyKiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:23 am Reply with quote
Anyone who's been around on this planet for more than 15 years would know this isn't the first time some cartoon involving athletes was created. Who remembers the Saturday morning Pro Stars cartoon starring Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, and Wayne Gretzsky, being lead by a Brazillian coach? Although that show was mildly entertaining (for me when I was seven), I realized much worse was yet to come with age.

Let me sum up the Apocalypse in two words: Shaq Fu Twisted Evil
Cgoten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:41 pm Reply with quote
TheAngstyKiller wrote:

Let me sum up the Apocalypse in two words: Shaq Fu Twisted Evil

Oh God no!!! lol... To quote EGM "Sounds like a thrid-degree blackbelt in crap."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aya Reiko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:20 pm Reply with quote
You know it's sad that anyone can tell U.S. animation just by looking at it. And I'm not talking about stylistically either. I'm talking about the sheer lack of quality in these things (not to mention, insanely PC).

Of course... there's probably Z-grade zero-budget anime we never see or hear about either...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:38 am Reply with quote
You'd probably be surprised how much "American" animation isn't even american. A lot of what we think is american is actually just as foreign as anime is to us, but even better covered up. For example Asrix the Gaul, Smurfs, and Tin Tin all come from Belgium. There's a number of shows that come from Canada and England, even France has contributed to our viewing habits a few times including co-productions with Japan such as The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2