• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
$225 if you get the limited editions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
At 75 bucks for LE, 39 bucks for bluray and 29 bucks for DVD in 3 parts, I was expecting the dub to be made out of gold...

But this...just makes me less motivated to watch it, let alone buy it. The voices sound like the earlier High pitched Sailor Moon voices in the 90s, like they were trying to go for that and it's making my ears hurt.

No thank you, Aniplex. Sentai's Angel Beats! does better than this, and that is 35 dollars for all 13 episodes plus an OVA and that says something. That is the only Key series I watched dubbed.

Sadly to say, most "Magical girl" shows that are dubbed are horrible. The only one I could stand was Pretear because they didn't make them sound overly happy and.....fake.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
...overly happy and.....fake.

Just making an observation here, so let's not immediately take what I'm about to say out of context by making a bicker-fest out of it. But that weirdly-enough sounds exactly like how all of the promos for this show have been described.
Miitan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
After reading this thread, it's obvious that everything is going according to Kyubey's plan.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
Now am I wrong in thinking that they weren't miscast? Cause from what I'm reading it kinda sounds like you're trying to say I am.

I am saying that you're wrong. But that's for another thread.

Well, I'm gonna say that you're the one who's wrong. It's for this thread. Just take the posts from everyone who disagrees with your position and copypasta here.

I have no idea what you mean by this. But I'm not going to be dragged into yet another big argument about right and wrong, and who is which.

Key wrote:
And dtm42: Others have pretty much answered your last question to me about the trailer, so I'll just add that not giving even a hint in the trailer about the true artistic or storytelling merits of the series is a dangerous ploy on Aniplex's part. In fact, the artistry and story elements portrayed in this trailer look so mundane that I doubt I'd even check this one out without word-of-mouth. (And to those who claim they wouldn't ever buy a series off of a trailer: yes, there are people who still do that. In fact, that used to be the norm.) While I can understand the desire to have a certain amount of surprise value, Aniplex is being so reserved that it's not giving people any incentive to check out what's already a comparatively overpriced series, either.

I don't think you have to be worried about Aniplex on their behalf. They're a big boy, they can take responsibility for the decision they've made (in keeping the original Japanese trailer).

PMMM is so big - almost notorious - that Aniplex doesn't really need to attract new fans. The show has been one of the biggest stories this year if not the biggest, and even many of those who haven't seen it are at least going to know that there's more to it than meets the eye.

So Aniplex's pricing (which as you note is high) suggests that they're targeting those who have already fallen in love with the series, just like it was with Kara no Kyoukai.

Me, let's say I hadn't heard anything about the show and I watched the trailer which was on another Anime DVD I bought, or it suddenly turned up on the shelves of my local comic-book store or JB Hi-Fi. I probably wouldn't buy it either, and that's before the issue of pricing comes into play. But in that scenario I am not the target audience.

I also question how one would cut a trailer to make it appeal to those who like darker stories without actually spoiling that this is a dark story, i.e. a complete deconstruction (spoiler[plus reconstruction]) of the Magical Girl genre. It is easy to do the first, but almost impossible to do both.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh crap, after watching it again I noticed Madoka's mom is voiced by Carrie Savage.

Good stuff.

EDIT: Damn, I remember the days when I argued sub vs dub like plenty of you are now. Back then I would have ripped plenty of you to shreds, but I don't want to get involved anymore.

Last edited by Red Fox of Fire on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I particularly loved the Japanese cast, but this did sound pretty bad to me. Not even as a matter of comparison. I feel that only Homura didn't sound overly awkward. Everyone else sounds way too stiff.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by this. But I'm not going to be dragged into yet another big argument about right and wrong, and who is which.

If that's your conclusion then I succeeded in getting my point across.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
If that's your conclusion then I succeeded in getting my point across.

Another non sequitur. But whatever. I'm not here to argue, and if you think you've won and so are going to drop this then fine, I can live with that.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
Others have pretty much answered your last question to me about the trailer, so I'll just add that not giving even a hint in the trailer about the true artistic or storytelling merits of the series is a dangerous ploy on Aniplex's part. In fact, the artistry and story elements portrayed in this trailer look so mundane that I doubt I'd even check this one out without word-of-mouth. (And to those who claim they wouldn't ever buy a series off of a trailer: yes, there are people who still do that. In fact, that used to be the norm.) While I can understand the desire to have a certain amount of surprise value, Aniplex is being so reserved that it's not giving people any incentive to check out what's already a comparatively overpriced series, either.

Agreed. I've even been purposely avoiding reading most News items about PMMM on ANN because it seemed to be marketed as a magical girl series, of which I'm not a fan. I checked the English dubbed trailer out because I wanted to see if I'd missed anything, considering the popularity of the series. My impression from watching the trailer was that no, I hadn't. Discussions within this thread, however, seem to indicate that there is far more to the series than the trailer implies from a story and tone perspective.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't like Christina Vee?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
Discussions within this thread, however, seem to indicate that there is far more to the series than the trailer implies from a story and tone perspective.

Well duh. It's the third (or fourth, depending on whether you include re-releases) highest-selling Anime series of all time (on a per volume basis), it is the best series in terms of quality to come out in years, it is arguably the most (in)famous series to come out in the past two years, and the series garnered an audience of over a million people when it was streamed online in its entirety.

This ain't your run of the mill Magical Girl show, nosiree.

Edit: see this post.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It's the second highest-selling Anime series of all time (on a per volume basis)

What's #1?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
It's the second highest-selling Anime series of all time (on a per volume basis)

What's #1?

Bakemonogatari. Also made by SHAFT, also directed by Akiyuki Shinbo. PMMM is the better series, but both are deserving of their massive sales.

Edit: This thread is what I'm going off.
ratchet573

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard this I did complain that it sounded rather bad but then I watched it again and realized that it really isn't that bad. You know what, you can't get really famous voice actors to do anime projects because they belong to the Actor's Guild and cost too much so anime companies get people you've never heard of or people who just work within the anime field. I prefer subs, but I don't think this dub will be especially bad, especially after watching the Clannad dub...I thought the Clannad dub was a fan project at first it was that bad...

Overall, I think I'll see the whole thing in English before I complain about how crappy the dub is or isn't. Plus, I don't think all the characters will be quite as cheery after episode three...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 14