• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About Kadokawa's Investment in ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:43 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Well, wasn't expecting this news when I saw it earlier. For now I'll hope for the best. With a large company behind it, maybe the ads can be toned down a bit? It'd be nice to open a few articles in tabs without a CPU spike

I've been using adblock for the site tbh, but still. Just be glad you're not using the site on mobile... thank you adguard vpn for saving my sanity somewhat
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
The following may be of interest.
Justin Sevakis wrote:
Given how few anime companies there really are in the US these days (and therefore, how few potential advertisers), something like this seemed inevitable to me for the last few years. Many mixed feelings.
https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/1587438180776562688
Justin Sevakis wrote:
I may not always be on the same page as ANN, and have little to do with it these days, but it is my first startup, 24(!) years ago. Spent a lot of my life working on that site, and it will always mean something to me. Congrats to @ANN_Ed for crossing a finish line of sorts.
https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/1587439590389911552
Justin Sevakis wrote:
I’m sure pretty much everybody has similar concerns going forward. Hope this means good things, for both the site’s content and its team, and I’ll leave it at that.
https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/1587440270114578433
Christopher Macdonald wrote:
The best part of this. I no longer have to deal with finances, advertising sales, accounting, government taxes, etc. Honestly, this is 33% of why I decided to do this; now I can focus on ANN the website, and not ANN the company.
https://twitter.com/ANN_Ed/status/1587357112048328704

I currently don't know how to really feel about this, other than "Another company buying up another company in this industry?". Seriously in the past year we've had FUNimation buying Crunchyroll and rebranded as Crunchyroll, LLC, AMC Networks bought Sentai Filmworks, PLAION PICTURES bought Anime Limited, Kadokawa bought J-Novel Club, Crunchyroll bought Right Stuf and subsequently then sold Critical Mass Video to Adult Source Media... Where does it end? We're so far removed from the days of ADV's "What is anime?" ads for The Anime Network and everything feels so corporate, the atmosphere is absolutely suffocating as a result. Things are completely unrecognizable from when I got into anime almost 14 years ago (it'll be 14 years in a week). Anime has always been a business, but it now resembles what happened to video games.

I'm hoping nothing negative comes out of this, but I'll remain cautious given how often you hear corporate speak when this happens and then we see all the negative effects (See: Everything going on with Crunchyroll and FUNimation merging in a completely chaotic and haphazard manner). My primary use of this site currently is mainly the encyclopedia and every once in a while the news articles, interviews, and columns like Answerman, so I'm not as concerned about the reviews and such as I currently rarely read them (I rarely read reviews in general).

I wonder if I'll be made to promote Kadokawa stuff even though I'm an Encyclopedia Editor, or a volunteer. I wonder if I'd have to promote say Strike the Blood... Kadokawa overlords, you can pay me to promote "No Senpai, this is our fight!"

(Couldn't resist making a joke with my love for Strike the Blood, a big Kadokawa property.)
Covnam wrote:
Well, wasn't expecting this news when I saw it earlier. For now I'll hope for the best. With a large company behind it, maybe the ads can be toned down a bit? It'd be nice to open a few articles in tabs without a CPU spike
Yeah, the ads have been fairly bad. I'm one of the few that doesn't use an adblocker, but they've been overwhelming the past few years. It's one of the main reasons why I finally subscribed (I choose not to display my subscriber status), so I wouldn't get all those ads that ruined the formatting of the pages and made it difficult to add info to the encyclopedia in a timely manner.

O.K., sure Chris is the Trope Maker of ANN. However, something is to be said about how Justin, the founder of ANN, is basically giving a Sevakis blessing. Personally, I don't know yet if I am "Yes" or "No" for the Kadokawa buy-out.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
Is Chris well-known for creating.. tropes? That's quite the title.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Is Chris well-known for creating.. tropes? That's quite the title.

I use "Trope Maker" in the sense of establishing something in the way we know it to be today. Maybe the TV Tropes title of "Trope Maker" was the wrong title to use here but I hope you get the idea.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:05 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Personally, I don't know yet if I am "Yes" or "No" for the Kadokawa buy-out.

I mean, it's not like you have a whole lot of say in it. (As far as I'm aware, anyway.)

I'm still scratching my head about the dramatic reactions in this thread. Yes, I know there's been bad examples of such things happening to websites before, but like... it's not like any one of us plain users have any say in this. Why not just see what happens, and if you don't like the way things seem to go then just, y'know, speak up and/or vote with your digital feet?

I've been here since 2003 (I had to register a new account in 2015 because I lost access to my old one), I've seen and experienced the changes the site and this forum has gone through for better and for worse, I know the importance of favorite internet places and communities, so yes, I understand people being emotional, but right now it's not like you can do anything other than take the staff at their word and hope for the best. I don't see the point in preemptive despair, or demanding that the staff prove something they literally can't prove at this point.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I use "Trope Maker" in the sense of establishing something in the way we know it to be today. Maybe the TV Tropes title of "Trope Maker" was the wrong title to use here but I hope you get the idea.

Ah, just thought it was a funny and slightly confusing turn of phrase, but with that explanation I see what you meant, yeah.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:14 am Reply with quote
Could have been a lot worse - Sony/CR could have bough ANN out. And at least it's not turning into MAL (FMAB fanboys that they are).

Provided independence is contractual then all's good.

Wonder if Kadokawa will pick up on reviews and fan feedback for what it might license for upcoming seasons....
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Oh, sigs exist in phpBB2; we don't like them.

Well, shoot. Suppose I should've realized; they do date back to Usenet. Maybe less janky BBCode buttons, at least? Quotes that link to the post? Better search?

I guess the only way a sig would actually benefit me is not feeling like I have to paste a link to my Shousetsuka ni Narou anime spreadsheet whenever a new one is announced, lest people who'd use it either not know about it or not be able to find it. (And being able to note that my username is pronounced "shy guy".)

Tempest wrote:
-t

*glances up at first quote*

(Wink)
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
PipimiOden wrote:
I've been using adblock for the site tbh, but still. Just be glad you're not using the site on mobile... thank you adguard vpn for saving my sanity somewhat

This site more than any other has made me think twice about not using one, but I figure it's the least I can do (not blocking their ad revenue) to support the site since I don't subscribe.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I am surprised by the amount of trolling in this thread.
Lynzee Loveridge has my profound sympathy.
If I could somehow resurrect Zac Bertschy, I'm sure he would say something along the lines of, "Been there and experienced that in spades."
jeffpiatt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
This is the same company that owns Newtype Magazine
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtype
They run the Newtype Anime Awards in Japan. It's very likely ANN will remain independent and become the Second coming of Newtype USA. They just have to be more competent than the last license holder A.D. Vision Holdings, Inc. It's last editor was Gary Steinman
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Quote:
Well, maybe now we can finally get that phpBB3 upgrade? It'd be nice to have signatures.
Oh, sigs exist in phpBB2; we don't like them.

I, for one, am eternally grateful for this. There are numerous other anime forums that I've checked out over the years but never revisited because I found the sigs to be such a burdensome distraction.

I never interacted directly with Chris much over the years I wrote for ANN (though he is one of only two ANN personnel I've ever met in person!), but the interactions I have had with him suggest to me that he doesn't make major moves without a lot of careful planning and due diligence. I'm plenty willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There are numerous other anime forums that I've checked out over the years but never revisited because I found the sigs to be such a burdensome distraction.

I wouldn't mind if sigs were limited to text-only in normal-sized fonts of maybe 2, or 3 lines tops, but yeah, people who basically sign off with banner ads and huge gifs five times bigger than their one-liner shitposts kinda ruin the privilege.
the green death

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:47 am Reply with quote
Gonna say that I was worried when Kadokawa bought JNC, but so far that transition has gone quite smooth and I don’t know that I see a ton of difference in how the company runs except they seem to release a few more titles monthly and do a little less with physical editions. I’m hoping to see the same sort of approach to be taken with ANN (and honestly the few details we know from the outside seem similar in how Sam has control of JNC). So I’m actually pretty hopeful for this.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely pessimistic on the whole- I rather expect a brief upturn in quality as money comes in (allowing gestating projects to fruition,) followed by a long slope downward as Kadokawa begins trying to squeeze out every last cent they can. Its an unfortunately well-worn path for a fair number of companies. But while I argue that is a strong trend, it is not a certainty. And well, its not like I have much of a say. So, we shall see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9