• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chainsaw Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:27 am Reply with quote
Chainsaw Man becoming a perpetual motion machine while slicing through the Eternity Devil was depicted amazingly. Devil Hunters with a screw loose being the most effective seems accurate, even if Chainsaw seems special in Devil terms.

Himeno pretty obviously has strong feelings for Aki here, for one reason or another. Even beyond just being the one partner she doesn't want to lose this time, her asking him to follow her basically came off like she was asking him out. And then she cuddles up with him in bed. It's just too bad Aki's so focused on Makima.

Kobeni looks adorable even in hand-me-down clothes!

That whole drinking party scene felt very real and natural (minus Makima drinking both Aki and Himeno under the table). Even the scene of Himeno in her underwear coming onto Aki felt real.

First Denji's first boob grab is disappointing, and then his first kiss...turns into a barf kiss. That he eats. I mean, at least she wasn't lying about the tongue! But yeah, Denji's not very lucky even when it seems like he's getting lucky.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I see where some people may be coming from regarding the realistic style of animation versus the manga art, but I absolutely love how this adaptation is going. It's not a mismatch at all, and there's still plenty of flexibility to get more abstract and loose in the right context. The OP itself has some examples. Everything is on point!

Aerdra wrote:
It was amusing that they'd specifically point out that Denji wasn't drinking beer. Sure, there may be violence and gore, or an adult woman sexually grooming a minor, but underage drinking is the one line they can't cross.

I agree. It would've been better if he was drinking tea or a cola because, like a little kid, he simply doesn't like the taste of beer.

ED was superb this time. But 2nd place to the one 2 episodes ago with the crazy horses as I'm a sucker for that imagery.

Gem-Bug wrote:
I was under the impression that he got drunk by swallowing her booze-vomit, lol.

He's probably dizzy from being forced to throw up which can knock the wind out of you, or whatever medication that other guy gave him. So he's kind of in that post-dizzy phase from being tired, hungry and thirsty, and probably under the same out-there depressive state as when his boob-grabbing with Power didn't live up to expectations.

Everything Denji is doing is not just simply a matter of lizard-brain horniness. He is actively pursuing the promise he made to Pochita to live his life and get a girlfriend. So there is a genuine motivation behind these actions that he pursues with straightforward simple-mindedness.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
But yeah, Denji's not very lucky even when it seems like he's getting lucky.

Feels like there's a sorta moral theme being hammered repeatedly home about not obsessing over an idealized notion of sex, lest reality sucker punch you with a vomit kiss, or something. Though it's hard to blame Denji; kid comes from one heck of a rough background and has honest, straightforward aspirations!
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
This may just be me projecting a bit too much into the story, but Denji can at least take solace in that he's still able to fantasize about dreams of romance, before age hits him and fantasies are reduced to being about finding people willing to talk to him at all on any kind of personal level, and perhaps finding "the one" antidepressant that actually improves anything in any way and isn't just a new kind of side-effect hell with no benefits.

Awkward kiss story: I'm already in my 40s and if one happens in my lifetime (a pretty big if, since I'm not even sure if my last mild one-sided crush was within the last decade), I'll have to explain to them that I have no idea what I'm doing.
...Or is that a little *too* awkward?
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Ladies and Gentlemen, it took eight whole episodes but Chainsaw Man has finally started in earnest. Enjoy Fujimoto's Wild Ride.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:37 pm Reply with quote
After revving it's engine for 7 episodes, the Chainsaw-Man has finally started...

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
So episode 7. Almost gave up because I was rapidly losing interest in the show (liked some parts but was getting bored and didn’t see what all the hype was about). Then episode 8 happened. Holy. Shit. No words.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Shota Goshozono strikes absolutely gold again. This episode was near-flawless in pretty much every single aspect - the suddeness of the attack, the uneasy feel throughout the entire episode even when the cast was "safe", the fast-paced action, and I specially love the way that the Curse Devil was handled. The lack of sound effects + the sudden jump cut to his body afterwards made the scene super eerie.

I genuinely could not have been any happier with how this adaptation has been done. Gorgeous stuff.
ncikz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could not pay attention the hype culture surrounding this series is so exhausting
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:25 pm Reply with quote
And thus Chainsaw Man truly begins.

It's a good thing Denji, despite his horniness, wanted to save himself for Makima otherwise Himeno might've slept with a minor. They're better as each others' wingmen anyways, even if unfortunately we never got to see that bear fruit.

Wow, a mob hit! Probably one of the more effective depictions of Yakuza in an anime in a while.

Himeno died as she lived...a Best Girl trying to keep the man she loves alive, even if it meant erasing herself from existence.

Katana Man! He looks amazing in animation, and his fight with Aki was on par with the fan animation version.
dakitten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 pm Reply with quote
ncikz wrote:
I wish I could not pay attention the hype culture surrounding this series is so exhausting

Same. I like the show. After this week I'd even say I'm willing to believe the hype. Maybe in a few years when more of the story has been told I'll be on the hype train myself. But as it is, I feel like I'm watching something completely different than the manga fans, who, with the benefit of hindsight and the thrill of high expectations being met, can only gush about CM being an unPARALLed work of exTRAORDinary GENiuS!!!!! the likes of which have never ever been seen before! And that take just feels even sillier when Mob Psycho 3 is airing in the same season.

As it is the only way to avoid the hype is to avoid any and all discourse about the anime in the community, which makes my own viewing experience less impactful (and basically means avoiding the anime community completely, which I'm not willing to do). At the very least, though, an anime-only ANN reviewer would have been my preference.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:36 pm Reply with quote
ncikz wrote:

Unfortunately, this is the side effect of what happens when an anime has an existing fanbase for a top ten selling still-running manga many years before it gets an anime. The hype culture will just be its own perpetual motion machine for better or worse.

It's funny because Fujimoto had a oneshot that was about not overhyping something too much
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:29 pm Reply with quote
dakitten wrote:
ncikz wrote:

Same. I like the show. After this week I'd even say I'm willing to believe the hype. Maybe in a few years when more of the story has been told I'll be on the hype train myself. But as it is, I feel like I'm watching something completely different than the manga fans, who, with the benefit of hindsight and the thrill of high expectations being met, can only gush about CM being an unPARALLed work of exTRAORDinary GENiuS!!!!! the likes of which have never ever been seen before! And that take just feels even sillier when Mob Psycho 3 is airing in the same season.

As it is the only way to avoid the hype is to avoid any and all discourse about the anime in the community, which makes my own viewing experience less impactful (and basically means avoiding the anime community completely, which I'm not willing to do). At the very least, though, an anime-only ANN reviewer would have been my preference.

I felt the same way. Until this weeks episode. If it can keep with this shock and go beyond, I’ll be happy.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
one of the best directed and edited productions I have ever seen in a televised anime.

Guessing you haven't seen much anime, then.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I read the manga and even knew what was going to happen, and yet I still teared up a little for poor spoiler[Himeno.] That's just good storytelling right there. Incredible episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10