• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
On a more positive note, can we all agree how ridiculous it is that Slip seems to be the almighty spell to vanquish any foe?

It's more defensive than offensive, but I love that something so ridiculous becomes Touya's 'go to' spell. Pratfalls for the win! And I give the author some credit for coming up with it. How many times have we seen anime battles where someone uses ice or vines to bind an enemy's feet? Yet for all the times I've seen ice used as foot glue, I don't recall anyone being inventive enough to use a Black Ice spell on an opponent.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
On a more positive note, can we all agree how ridiculous it is that Slip seems to be the almighty spell to vanquish any foe? I mean come on, it's just tripping for god-sake. You would think a ridiculously overpowered MC with all the magic disposal in the world could think of a more useful attack.
I found that a nice bit of absurdist humor since of all the powerful spells Touya can cast that is the one he prefers. It vaguely reminds me of a show about a decade ago with witches in which one of them could only make people slip.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
PotatoGirl wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
meiam wrote:
Without struggle there's no story or character growth, drama or tension and the show need to entirely revert to something else (great animation, good comedy, or as I'm sure we'll see more over the next few week fan service).

You have never in your life seen an slice of life series, have you?

There's conflict in slice-of-life stories.

No, not really, Slice of Life is defined by being just like our real lives, of course there are "conflicts" in our average real life, but most of the time it is nothing like the conflicts we are used to seeing in a work of fiction, otherwise it becomes a Drama. There are of course, over reaching themes, whether this series has one or not is too soon to see, since it is at the end of the season of a SoL series when we might see them.

That would still be some kind of conflict, rather than the protag conquering the problem instantaneously.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
That would still be some kind of conflict, rather than the protag conquering the problem instantaneously.

You are as likely to see tension in this series arising from the plot as I am of seeing any of the girls shown to pop huge muscles in a battle, time to move one, I hear that Vatican Miracle Examiner has some tension laced shenanigans.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
On the young wife thing, for me it brings to mind season 2 of Gate, which had a fairly young girl show that she was not a victim of the practice, and gladly wanted to partake in the practice of getting married as per her culture, with a maturity and understanding that made her a strong character. It would have been nice here if the princess character showed a shred of that sort of strength. Her also making me contrast her to specifically Crusch from Re:Zero and I think how a similar trait was used where one is a well realised character, and the other just a bunch of traits. I think it is maybe extra sad that I could see how the princess could be made into a good character, here is hoping that princess does not mean she will often become a damsel in distress.
Yumina seemed pretty strong in the battle with a combination of dark magic and summoning. As for how they handled the issue of child marriage I think with Yumina it was mostly comedic while in Gate it was taken seriously.

There is difference between a character having physical strength, and a character being "strong". The first is a power level that can be really hard to actually compare because if not done well it can be whatever they want for the story.

The second is about a large amount of factors: From having their own desires with a dream they can take steps to fulfil, a multifaceted personality that can show them as a complex person, likely a respect for themselves where they are not just beholden to someone else, and lastly you need some reasoning for why they act the way they do. I don't think we really got any real talk about what this princess wanted other than choosing to marry this guy who fitted her 12 year old criteria after an afternoon, or perhaps mentioning that she can learn about the kingdom, but this does not seem to be something she was working towards until now. For that matter she seems pretty one note as largely being what we see is what we get, and she is doing this because her supposed fiancé is. Which works into it does not make full sense that this princess is allowed to just this after there has been quite a bit of plot of people trying to assassinate royalty, she seems capable to a point, but it does not quite feel like she has the personality to have pushed herself to be a warrior princess (who carries arrow head up?). So far in the story it feels like she was just made able to use a bow and summoning because that is what the plot wanted, not something taken into account for her character.

It does not make her the worst kind of character, or even that I hate the character and the show. But it is pretty hard to ignore where for instance you have things like Re:Zero, where it feels like all abilities of characters is taken into account for their actual character, the strongest example I thought of earlier was Crusch, where her truth detecting ability facilitated a character very invested in acting politically savant rather than just relying on it. Rem is often praised as a good character, and that might be in the face of what I said above about a strong character respecting themselves, but the thing is that it makes sense with her character. While every character in this show has decided to follow him just because or that he is uber strong. Konosuba even makes its characters be strong by having them unashamedly be themselves in how terrible they can be: Megumin will blow things up because she wants. Darkness is quite forthright at doing what feels good to her. And even Aqua who most of the time is an idiot and incredibly selfish, has a complex set of emotions that are consistent with the type of personality she is.

It is not as though I am saying this show lacks any at all. That the girls have been so adamant against doing slime missions that their mood can turn, shows that they have some character there. Yet, there really is not much there to differentiate them, the strong reaction I mentioned is simply something they share, not characters having any personal strong likes and dislikes. To the point it would almost make the princess a strong character if she had not problem taking on slimes, that she did not care about that stuff or something. But she already had that part of wanting to be called cute after all of the other girls had the same reaction to being called as such. A character is more than just character archetype, background, and role. And I am kind of hoping this show will fix that.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Basically, we don't want certain people to be influenced by fiction in a negative way, so we're going to apply some "protections" to everyone, in every scenario, every time. Not going to beat a dead horse with the pros and cons, but just saying...

Anyhow, I can't believe the almighty smartphone isn't being discussed more lol. Pictures, translations, GPS, what's next? "Text to Landline" magical messages or mail service?
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
For that matter she seems pretty one note as largely being what we see is what we get, and she is doing this because her supposed fiancé is. Which works into it does not make full sense that this princess is allowed to just this after there has been quite a bit of plot of people trying to assassinate royalty, she seems capable to a point, but it does not quite feel like she has the personality to have pushed herself to be a warrior princess (who carries arrow head up?).

Well it's not Yumina's fault that the animators aren't archery buffs. Let's face it, the animation here isn't even up to KonoSuba standards. Charlotte, the court mage, gets stuck with big boobs and bewilderingly tiny feet. When the Duke is climbing stairs to see his poisoned brother, the stair shadows have been drawn so it looks like he's walking down them. And so on. True, there are some nice touches from time to time such as Sue's turning into a roll cake as she goes to tickle Touya or Elze's showing off with fancy footwork just before she smacks the Dullahan with a spinning back kick, but overall it's less than impressive.

This adaptation seems to be lurching from incident to incident in a hurry so they can show the biggest events from the first three LNs. Unfortunately, quiet or character revealing segments have been sacrificed. Still, from what we know so far it's not hard to reason that Yumina's mystic eyes mean that she's had to socialize with a string of aristocrats as bigoted and scummy as Count Balsa on a regular basis. Who wouldn't want to duck out on such occasions with the excuse of practicing archery or magic? Along those lines, Touya might well be the first nice guy she's met aside from the occasional guard or butler. Without getting into spoiler territory, I can say one benefit of her mystic eye experience is that at 12 she's arguably the wisest member of the party when it comes to assessing relationships.
Quote:
That the girls have been so adamant against doing slime missions that their mood can turn, shows that they have some character there. Yet, there really is not much there to differentiate them, the strong reaction I mentioned is simply something they share, not characters having any personal strong likes and dislikes.

Remember that Yae was on her way to the capital when she first meets Touya and the sisters? Alas, her quest to meet and learn from a sword master has apparently been sacrificed. And along with it a segment demonstrating her goals and character (not to mention another use for the smartphone!) At another point Elze's gauntlets get damaged and she shops for replacements with Touya. Their interactions reveal her impetuous nature as well as her insecurities, but I doubt we'll see it animated. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even God calls him up to encourage him to bang a twelve-year-old girl!

Boy, that is a sentence I'd never expect to read in my lifetime.
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Quote:
Even God calls him up to encourage him to bang a twelve-year-old girl!

Boy, that is a sentence I'd never expect to read in my lifetime.

Heh. It took me by surprise as well. And we're only at episode four! If some of the later characters retain their LN teasing natures I imagine we'll see similar, er, um, disapproval.

I can't imagine how this reviewer is going to respond when Rising of the Shield Hero arrives.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The great thing about this show, is that for once the reviewer can throw in all the hyperbole he wants and it actually isn't hyperbole because that's just what happened in the show.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The great thing about this show, is that for once the reviewer can throw in all the hyperbole he wants and it actually isn't hyperbole because that's just what happened in the show.
What happened in that scene was that God called Touya up on his smartphone and congratulated him on the engagement, Touya argued with him about that, and God told him to lighten up and that he could have all the wives he wants while comedic music played in the background. It was a comedy scene and it was less serious than what happened in Gate. Now I have no idea what happens in the manga so I am only commenting on episode 4.
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
...God called Touya up on his smartphone and congratulated him on the engagement, Touya argued with him about that, and God told him to lighten up and that he could have all the wives he wants while comedic music played in the background. It was a comedy scene

Yeah, kinda surprised some people are missing that. Despite the pedophilia and "wish fulfillment" charges, the viewpoint/insert character is your typical (anime) high schooler: a nice kid who's never even been on a date much less kissed a girl. He's postponed the wedding for a couple of years and treats members of his party as if they were younger sisters. It's pretty standard fantasy romcom fare; it's not like this is High School DxD. (Oh great. Now I have the Oppai Dragon song running through my head.)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
SleepySkull wrote:
Yeah, kinda surprised some people are missing that. Despite the pedophilia and "wish fulfillment" charges, the viewpoint/insert character is your typical (anime) high schooler: a nice kid who's never even been on a date much less kissed a girl.

Yeah, one has to wonder what kind of thought process would omit such details.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
I'm far behind you all, but couldn't get past Ep1 because it was so dull. However, just saw the dub and it has worked a miracle, Josh Grelle has literally breathed (just a little) life into Touya! The rest of the cast does the same for thier characters as well. Somehow the story doesn't seem so zomboid now, just tolerably vapid...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well I watched episode 5 and they had slime fanservice which included Yuminia. I think that went too far. Also I am a bit surprised at how much of a fanservice show this is turning into since there was basically none in the first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12