• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Attack on Deadlines

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

And some of us Yaoi fans don't like them either. I'm as tired of the incredibly insufferable teenage yaoi fangirls who tend to be mildly homophobic as you guys are.

What. How am I homophobic?

Also, please explain why the element of your group you don't like is something that can just be ignored but the element of my group you don't like for the SAME REASONS apparently represents everyone and MUST be the reason for everything you dislike.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this applies to a not-insignificant portion of yaoi fans, particularly of the teenage girl variety.

And some of us Yaoi fans don't like them either. I'm as tired of the incredibly insufferable teenage yaoi fangirls who tend to be mildly homophobic as you guys are.

Chagen, as mentioned by others before, there is no big war between the yaoi and yuri fandoms and since you acknowledge a vocal minority of yaoi fans behaving badly, why do you have to assume that somehow the yuri fandom as whole has some heteronormative hangups? I am in no way a homophobe and I don't appreciate the implication that you believe me to be one.

As a practical example, I specifically remember that a lot of yuri fans of Rinne no Lagrange wanted the guys to pair up so there wouldn't be any issue with the girls pairing up. As Fencedude said, the fandoms can compliment each other.

So I will request that you stop characterizing the yuri fandom as a whole based on the behavior of a minority therein. Everyone can clearly see that you're using some straw "yuri fan" examples to somehow make it sound like yaoi fandom is the only valid non-heteronormative fandom when it isn't.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

That's not what I meant. I meant "I am as sick of those kinds of yaoi fans as you guys are sick of them". Slightly ambiguious syntax, sorry.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
And I'd like to add that some of us yuri fans would like to see some male homosexual couples even aside from the effect it would have on possible yuri couples. I like Ashiya/Maou in Hataraku Maouh and I don't even care about any yuri pairings (well, I guess Emi/Emerada is nice in theory, now that I think about it).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

That's not what I meant. I meant "I am as sick of those kinds of yaoi fans as you guys are sick of them". Slightly ambiguious syntax, sorry.

Answer my question.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Alright fine:

Quote:
This all is really about you and your persecution complex, isn't it?

No, this is about how sick I am of being a second-class citizen in the anime fandom along with many of my fellow female fans because we happen to like yaoi. I'm sick of misogyny and homophobia from straight male fans.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Alright fine:

Quote:
This all is really about you and your persecution complex, isn't it?

No, this is about how sick I am of being a second-class citizen in the anime fandom along with many of my fellow female fans because we happen to like yaoi. I'm sick of misogyny and homophobia from straight male fans.

Ok, so what does this have to with yuri fans? Also thats not the question I was referring to.

The one about /u/. For all the time you spend bitching about "yuri fans" on /a/, you never seem to mention 4chan's actual yuri community. Have you been to /u/? Have you seen how people on /u/ discuss yuri and lesbians?

Have you spent any time in any actual yuri communities, instead of just assuming random people on /a/ are completely representative?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm sick of misogyny and homophobia from straight male fans.

*clap clap clap* There you go! This is not really a "yuri fan" problem, its (mostly) an insensitive straight male fan problem.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm sick of misogyny and homophobia from straight male fans.

*clap clap clap* There you go! This is not really a "yuri fan" problem, its (mostly) an insensitive straight male fan problem.

Alright. Alright. I'm gonna surprise everyone and admit it.

I was wrong.

There. The problem really wasn't yuri fans but rather prejudiced straight malebut I'll say this straight up, I just really wanted someone to blame and I'd had some bad experiences before. The Sunk Cost Fallacy had set in for me and I just felt like I had to keep defending my position. But I'm tired of fighting like this so I'll just admit defeat now.

There. I said it. You won. I lost.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Alright. Alright. I'm gonna surprise everyone and admit it.

I was wrong.

There. The problem really wasn't yuri fans but rather prejudiced straight malebut I'll say this straight up, I just really wanted someone to blame and I'd had some bad experiences before. The Sunk Cost Fallacy had set in for me and I just felt like I had to keep defending my position. But I'm tired of fighting like this so I'll just admit defeat now.

There. I said it. You won. I lost.

..... yeah, I'm pretty surprised. Well, good job admitting it that's certainly a rarity on the internet. Time to break out the beer and celebrate, I guess. .... wait, I don't really drink. Oh well.

Edit: To be clear, I mean celebrating this whole thing coming to a close, not "winning".
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I must have been hanging around the wrong types of fandom forums. mean, if that Digimon response was so similar to what countless fans and admins genuinely say that I couldn't tell the difference until it was pointed out...

It could be Poe's Law, in that I've been offended by what people on this site say that I can't tell the difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7