• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood DVD Part 1 (Hyb) DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And you like a Song of Ice and Fire?

No, actually. I found it much too grim and depressing. But I do respect it as a work of fantasy.

It's actually an example of a story that starts off with jumping around from POV to POV. While some characters are later phased out completely, you're not given the illusion that any one character is more important than another. Narratively, it's consistent. If Martin had done the entire first novel (or a large chunk of the first novel) from the POV of a single character, and only then switched to a narrative that jumps to different characters every chapter, I would have the exact same criticism for it.

Quote:
YMMV, but there's a reason why the manga is so popular across such a broad spectrum, and the new anime captures a lot of that.

I'm afraid that you lost me on the popularity front. Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece are all more popular than FMA--in Japan, as well-- and appeal to a massive spectrum of people. I'd argue that only One Piece is of comparable narrative quality, although it is very different, but that's besides the point. Popularity and quality cannot be equated, although some things that are popular are also of high quality.

I don't think that anybody is trying to argue that the FMA manga is bad (I don't know who could, because it's a very solid piece of storytelling), just that they don't think it's the best.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
amarielah wrote:

Quote:
YMMV, but there's a reason why the manga is so popular across such a broad spectrum, and the new anime captures a lot of that.

I'm afraid that you lost me on the popularity front. Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece are all more popular than FMA--in Japan, as well-- and appeal to a massive spectrum of people. I'd argue that only One Piece is of comparable narrative quality, although it is very different, but that's besides the point. Popularity and quality cannot be equated, although some things that are popular are also of high quality.

I don't think that anybody is trying to argue that the FMA manga is bad (I don't know who could, because it's a very solid piece of storytelling), just that they don't think it's the best.

Fullmetal Alchemist is the third most popular manga in Japan behind One Piece, and NANA, FMA barely beats out Naruto while Bleach's popularity has fallen a bit in recent years.

Though claiming quality by popularity doesn't mean anything, for example, while Evangelion is popular I also find it a pretentious mess that's hypocritical, had the exact opposite effect it was going for and whose effect on the anime industry and Japan itself has been a disaster.

Or with something everyone understands Transformers: Revenge of the fallen made 400 million dollars in America.
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
Fair enough--Naruto and Bleach are still more popular overall.

But yeah, I think we can all agree that popularity can only be a measure of itself, and not of quality.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
stuff
Y'know, between your OCD hatred and weird standards of the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime, your misapplication of the word pretentious for Evangelion (hint: the word does not mean what you think it means, as is the case with 99.9% of people who use the word) and your misrepresentation of its impact (unless, of course, you hate all of these anime), and your very pedantic red herrings (can you show me where Dorcas_Aurelia explicitly or implicitly states that the first Fullmetal Alchemist is the original?), I wonder if you have even a shred of self-awareness.

sunflower wrote:
This review is kind of a joke. Basically, someone comes in with a set opinion about FMA already being told perfectly and blows this series off after a couple of episodes. So we find out, no surprise, that she thinks other people should do the same. It's the same rehashing of divided opinions we've already seen about the series:

In a nutshell, if you think the first FMA was the greatest thing since sliced bread, skip the new one. If you don't think that, watch the new one. It's that simple.
Uh, no. Hope is saying that, relative to not only the similar material covered in the first anime, the opening set of episodes here is a poor adaption of the manga.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
stuff
Y'know, between your OCD hatred and weird standards of the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime, your misapplication of the word pretentious for Evangelion (hint: the word does not mean what you think it means, as is the case with 99.9% of people who use the word) and your misrepresentation of its impact (unless, of course, you hate all of these anime), and your very pedantic red herrings (can you show me where Dorcas_Aurelia explicitly or implicitly states that the first Fullmetal Alchemist is the original?), I wonder if you have even a shred of self-awareness.

I used Pretentious correctly, and I was simply pointing out that Dorcas was incorrect in using "prime" to refer to the first anime series as the first fullmetal alchemist, you could claim that Dorcas was using it as ideal but that's clearly not how Dorcas was using it.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I used Pretentious correctly,
The only thing that can be argued to be pretentious in Evangelion is the Judeo-Christian references, and even that can have argumements for its use (such as Zac's aside in the recent ANNCast).

Quote:
and I was simply pointing out that Dorcas was incorrect in using "prime" to refer to the first anime series as the first fullmetal alchemist, you could claim that Dorcas was using it as ideal but that's clearly not how Dorcas was using it.
Dorcas is clearly talking about the first anime and using "prime" as shorthand; there's no reason you should find fault with that.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
If you want to continue the conversation on Evangelion than PM me.

I find fault with the fact that Dorcas is implying the first anime came before the manga by using "Prime"
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Somebody who is familiar with the franchise will already know.

Somebody who is not familiar with the franchise will not be mislead anymore by "the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime" than by "Fullmetal Alchemist prime", and I'm sure they'll find out soon enough that the manga came first.

So I don't really see what you're getting hung up about.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
I just pointed out that it was incorrect, it wasn't like I made a twenty paragraph rant about it.
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
But it's not incorrect--not in context. Everybody here will know that it means "the Fullmetal Alchemist anime that came before Brotherhood". You just don't like it.

And, uh, you didn't just "point it out". Rather, you ordered somebody not to use the term. Which...is a bit different.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
You would be suprised how uninformed people are, from what I have seen most people don't know their was drastic differences between the manga and anime until recently. The really hardcore FMA fans would know but not the ones that just caught it on Cartoon Network.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If you want to continue the conversation on Evangelion than PM me.

I find fault with the fact that Dorcas is implying the first anime came before the manga by using "Prime"

I was never trying to imply, merely trying to find a convenient shorthand for the first anime. I'd been using the term on another message board where opinions were also split on which series was better, and no one there made a fuss about it.
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
@ Charred Knight

As I said, it's no more misleading than simply calling it by its name, or "the first anime". You're reading the implication into it for whatever reason, but you really shouldn't expect everybody to see things your way.
17EdwardElric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
The First Like 5 Episodes Of The Origonal Anime Were Better Then The Brotherhood. Brotherhood Should Have Followed Every Manga Chapter And Just Done It Right.

-Worlds Biggest FMA Fan!-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7