• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Critical Mass II: The Seasoning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Says who? You? Tolkien? Why should I, or more importantly, Kawakami Minori, give a flying fudge about that? He's not writing LotR, he's not writing Wheel of Time, he's not writing any-other-damn-thing but his goddamn story.

You are the one laying down entirely arbitrary restrictions on creativity for no other reason than that "its always been done that way"

Sure, Tolkien "wrote the book" on fantasy, good for him. So [expletive] what? When was it decided that Tolkienian fantasy was the only acceptable form? Show me that clause in the contract people have to sign before being allowed to write. Oh wait, there is no such thing.

I really expected better from you dtm, I am, no kidding, incredibly disappointed in you here. You don't have to like Horizon, but I damn well expected you to defend it existing as a creative work. That you aren't, that you are actually arguing that there are distinct RULES as to what types of fictional characters can exist together...well, thats just shitty of you my friend.

You are such a BULL SHITTER Fencedude5609. dtm42 has outargued you, but your stubbornness and pride does not let you see that. It has become clearer that it is a complete waste of time to try to have a constructive discussion with you.

Hate me if you want, but I do not think I am alone with this opinion.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

You are such a BULL SHITTER Fencedude5609. dtm42 has outargued you, but your stubbornness and pride does not let you see that. It has become clearer that it is a complete waste of time to try to have a constructive discussion with you.

Ok, do you have an actual opinion on that post, or did you just feel like injecting your personal opinion of me into a discussion you weren't even involved in?

Also, point out where dtm "outargued" me. Please, proceed.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The reasons humanity became this way was covered in Owari no Chronicle, the Light Novel series that covers the "AHEAD" portion of Kawakami Minoru's universe.

I had seen the Owari no Chronicle novels while browsing Amazon.jp at some point and knew they were by the same author (and character illustrator) but didn't realize they were actually connected to Horizon. Interesting.

dtm42 wrote:
The difference between LotR and Horizon? Orcs, dwarves, humans and elves are all logical beings in a Fantasy work and it is further logical to see them inhabit the same world. Heck, Tolkien literally wrote the book on that. Whereas an incubus has no business being in the same work as a robot, and an angel has no business sharing screentime with a racist Indian caricature.

Tolkien didn't create most of those creatures, if he created any at all. I'm pretty sure all or almost all of the creatures in his stories already existed and he decided to create a sprawling, epic fantasy story using at least a dozen different fantasy creatures. Why exactly is it "logical" for humans, dwarves, elves, dragons, wraiths and orcs to exist in the same work of fiction, but not humans, angel people, werewolves, incubi and slimes?

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Ok, do you have an actual opinion on that post, or did you just feel like injecting your personal opinion of me into a discussion you weren't even involved in?

Also, point out where dtm "outargued" me. Please, proceed.

No, I do not have an actual opinion because I have not watched Horizon yet. I am making an observation from following the back and fort between you and dtm42.

And if I had an opinion, I would not waste my time trying to present any counterargument to you.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

No, I do not have an actual opinion because I have not watched Horizon yet. I am making an observation from following the back and fort between you and dtm42.

So you agree with the side that says that deviations for the Tolkienian Fantasy Norm are inherently bad, and there is no reason for them to exist?

Glad we've established that!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Or maybe it's because Horizon literally RUNS on Rule of Cool. Everything about it is cool. Horizon basically crams every single anime cliche into a blender and somehow became one of the most awesome shows in the recent years...and I'm only 6 episodes into the 1st season.

This coming from the guy who loves saying things like (and I quote) "Panem et Circenses". Well Chagen46, you certainly seem to like your bread and circuses after all.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Says who? You? Tolkien? Why should I, or more importantly, Kawakami Minori, give a flying fudge about that? He's not writing LotR, he's not writing Wheel of Time, he's not writing any-other-damn-thing but his goddamn story.

I'm glad you recognise that he's writing a story. Given the way you were talking about characters living their lives I was afraid you were actually . . . you know what, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that Horizon was made to be popular, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it goes about it in the stupidest, cheapest way possible.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
You are the one laying down entirely arbitrary restrictions on creativity for no other reason than that "its always been done that way"

It would be really nice if you didn't ascribe to me things that I never even said or meant. I mean, you know how to use quotation marks properly, right?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Sure, Tolkien "wrote the book" on fantasy, good for him. So [expletive] what? When was it decided that Tolkienian fantasy was the only acceptable form? Show me that clause in the contract people have to sign before being allowed to write. Oh wait, there is no such thing.

I never said that everything has to be like Tolkien; way to miss the point. I was merely defending LotR's internally consistency while pointing out that Horizon has no internal consistency.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I really expected better from you dtm, I am, no kidding, incredibly disappointed in you here. You don't have to like Horizon, but I damn well expected you to defend it existing as a creative work. That you aren't, that you are actually arguing that there are distinct RULES as to what types of fictional characters can exist together...well, thats just shitty of you my friend.

I hope you aren't crying. Geez, now I feel bad . . .

I'm not going to defend Horizon "as a creative work" because the only thing it does creatively is stuff a record (well, this is Anime we're talking about, so probably only near-record) amount of ill-fitting tropes together in a single badly-directed, badly-written show. If that bugs you then I'll send a bouquet as recompense. Are you still living at your old address of [email protected]?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
This is the point where I ask precisely how much of Horizon you have seen and/or read.

This is the point where I direct you to my Anime list (not the website), while also asking you yet again to actually provide some explanation as to the backstory and how it justifies the trope pileup.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

So you agree with the side that says that deviations for the Tolkienian Fantasy Norm are inherently bad, and there is no reason for them to exist?

Glad we've established that!

No, I NEVER SAID THAT, don't bullshit me, please.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
i made popcorn, anybody want some?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
i made popcorn, anybody want some?

Got any buttered pop-corn?

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Tolkien didn't create most of those creatures, if he created any at all. I'm pretty sure all or almost all of the creatures in his stories already existed and he decided to create a sprawling, epic fantasy story using at least a dozen different fantasy creatures. Why exactly is it "logical" for humans, dwarves, elves, dragons, wraiths and orcs to exist in the same work of fiction, but not humans, angel people, werewolves, incubi and slimes?

I'm no scholar but Wikipedia tells me that elves and dwarves both existed in Germanic lore and that orcs were invented by Tolkien himself. Dragons have been around in many cultures including, of course, Northern Europe. It isn't much of a stretch to weave creatures from the same lore together into one work.

Whereas Horizon's cast is just a bunch of Anime tropes - some borrowed from other sources (like angels), some only appearing predominantly in Anime - thrown together in order to make more sales. It's a problem that afflicted the also-recently-aired Campione!.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Whereas Horizon's cast is just a bunch of Anime tropes - some borrowed from other sources (like angels), some only appearing predominantly in Anime - thrown together in order to make more sales. It's a problem that afflicted the also-recently-aired Campione!.

sure, but they do some pretty cool things once you get past all the info dumping
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I'm glad you recognise that he's writing a story. Given the way you were talking about characters living their lives I was afraid you were actually . . . you know what, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that Horizon was made to be popular, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it goes about it in the stupidest, cheapest way possible.

Yes, because characters who feel like they "live" in their world are not the goal of good writing. You know what I meant, and don't pretend that you didn't. Did you read the blog post I linked to? Zyl went over this point (and others), and I'm not go to restate his points here. If you have an objection to something he said on this, point it out.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

It would be really nice if you didn't ascribe to me things that I never even said or meant. I mean, you know how to use quotation marks properly, right?

You said that, and I quote

Quote:
Whereas an incubus has no business being in the same work as a robot, and an angel has no business sharing screentime with a racist Indian caricature.

While Hassan is certainly...something, I don't think your first point especially holds water at all. Why shouldn't an Incubus share space with a robot? Who said they can't? Why can't Angels share space with whoever they want to? Seriously, this point really does not make any sense.

Quote:
I never said that everything has to be like Tolkien; way to miss the point. I was merely defending LotR's internally consistency while pointing out that Horizon has no internal consistency.

Give me three examples from the two seasons of Horizon that demonstrate this lack of internal consistency. I'm fascinated to hear your examples.

Quote:

I'm not going to defend Horizon "as a creative work" because the only thing it does creatively is stuff a record (well, this is Anime we're talking about, so probably only near-record) amount of ill-fitting tropes together in a single badly-directed, badly-written show. If that bugs you then I'll send a bouquet as recompense. Are you still living at your old address of [email protected]?

We can snark back and forth, but that pile of buzzwords is basically meaningless, and does not even begin to amount to actual criticism. I know for a fact you are better than that.

Quote:
This is the point where I direct you to my Anime list (not the website), while also asking you yet again to actually provide some explanation as to the backstory and how it justifies the trope pileup.

And I explained it to you. The backstory is from Owari no Chronicle, but is far enough in the past that its irrelevant to the actual story of Horizon. In the world of Horizon, Incubi, slimes, angels, Arch Demons, Robots, Automated Dolls, Werewolves, elves, half-elves, mermaids and who-knows-what-else all exist. Everyone knows they exist, their existence is not notable at all, so there is no reason anyone would ask questions about it.

Its like if someone asked about why Dwarves and Elves exist in Middle Earth, you would direct them to read the Silmarillion, in which exists all those myriads of details that were not relevant to the story told in Lord of the Rings, but were created to back up the lore. The answer for Horizon is "read Owari no Chronicle", which, if you are reading the Horizon novels, is a perfectly reasonable suggestion. This is not an issue with the adaption. Sure, the anime has cut out any number of details, but the ones you are talking about weren't in the books to begin with, because they were in the previous series.

Now, seeing as how we can't read Japanese, things aren't that simple, but thats hardly the fault of Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon or Kawakami Minoru.

Edit: Ok, you watched three episodes. Please explain how you feel qualified to comment on this at all? You'd rip anyone who tried to make sweeping generalizations about Madoka based on only three episodes up one side and down the other.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

You said that dtm was winning the argument, which implies you agree with the positions he's stated, and that was one of them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

You said that dtm was winning the argument, which implies you agree with the positions he's stated, and that was one of them.

I say that dtm42 is winning the argument because his/her arguments use logic. Whereas your arguments reduce to something like: why is there an eclectic mix of characters in Horizon? just because; do not [bleeping] question it.

Do not ask me to prove this because I doubt you will consider my arguments.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I say that dtm42 is winning the argument because his/her arguments use logic. Whereas your arguments reduce to something like: why is there an eclectic mix of characters in Horizon? just because; do not [bleeping] question it.

Do not ask me to prove this because I doubt you will consider my arguments.

No, he has made assertions, he has not used "logic" at any point.

His position is entirely based on watching the first three episodes, and largely involves him asserting how things must be, without any proof as to why that must be so.

You are just here cheerleading for him because you don't like me. Which is fine, as far as it goes. Do you need some pom-poms? I think Shinka left some lying around.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
If it weren't for the fact that this forum's moderation discourages posting images, I would've linked that XKCD "Someone is wrong on the Internet!" image already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8