• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
God, I love this show. It is both hilarious and exciting. I loved the Germanophile crew's stereophonic "shoulders up and down" triumphant laughing.

Caesar and Rommel are the best, that StuG is just magnificent. So they've already faced off against Monty in this week's episode, does that mean Patton is next?
Ringking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Ahhhhhhhh *long sigh of relief*.

As a lover of military hardware and things that go boom, I am pleased to report that the heretical act against armored vehicles everywhere that is painting a tank pink has been rectified. spoiler[Didn't seem to stop them from getting shot at much though...]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
Goddamn, they really know how to make these tank battles exhilarating. The use of perspective inside and out of the tanks, and first person are excellent, easily some of the best I've seen in a long time. Even though much can't be done about the use of CG, using it on boxy mechanical objects like tanks doesn't hinder the immersion at all. I could easily marathon this show if the pace and intensity were kept up. Getting spoiler[that shot from the StuG & co. on the first Sherman made me fist pump, especially since they got their through counterintelligence and diversionary tactics.]

What made me curious is when Yukari mentioned that Saunders were spoiler[replicating America pretty well at their school in their enthusiasm. Did some calamity once befall the world which forced civilizations onto massive floating cities in the first place?] Not like the backstory really matters too much, if there even is one. I do wonder how well this series would be received if it were highschool boys instead of girls participating in these interscholastic war games.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
its a good thing we've established that the series plays fast and loose with reality. the tactics may have been increased a bit in this episode but the problem with so wide a variety of tank types is the relative speeds some have over others. by all evidence they are keeping to original specs which means huge differences in speed from one tank to another.

if the only thing they want to develop is tactics then the use of tank traps should become a very prominent item. knowing the terrain can be a much larger tactic than any formation choices. using bogs pitfalls and bottle necks can easily reduce an opponents effectiveness and reduce any shortcomings the tanks might have.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
ep/5

spoiler[well yea trying for tank tournament 5 girl crew having some tank cake & cafe tank area til miho's sister appear with her sidekick saying you will fail.

wonder to ready for next match yukari go like sneak in to other school to get info sure got some then run sgt. oddball cause there on to you so after practice, training, re-design tanks, Measuring Day, etc now battle begins.

10 vs 5 tanks give to chase attack bunny tank til see sherman had spy radio balloon (must be payback for sgt. oddball spying) so new plan cellphone & boom goes a sherman.
]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
I laughed when Yukari's spoiler[infiltration was so surprisingly effective, everyone was friendly, and they were doing their briefing of the match right in front of her and even answering her questions. Did not even notice that she seemed to be talking to a camera.] It was probably a swipe at America about something with them being carefree and money.

I was trying to think how the girls could spoiler[use the radios to their advantage, you know pull something like from FMA:SR, but totally forgot that they do indeed have phones.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I got a question for you guys. I am bored and I am wondering if I should watch it. From the thread it looks like people are enjoying it. Is it better than Upotte? I got tired of that anime 3 episodes in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I kinda of liked Upotte but I'm enjoying Girls und Panzer much more. There is something about the comedic tone, characters and story-telling that is working much better for me in the latter title. I think it's worth your while at least sampling it to see.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I kinda of liked Upotte but I'm enjoying Girls und Panzer much more. There is something about the comedic tone, characters and story-telling that is working much better for me in the latter title. I think it's worth your while at least sampling it to see.

Ok I will give it a chance, thanks.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Ok I will give it a chance, thanks.

This one has a driving premise, whereas Upotte was more slice-of-lifey. GuP goes directly into tank competitions against other schools, except unlike Saki, the battles are actually captivating and understandable. It's also not "monster of the week" like Strike Witches, episodes go in order and flow into one another linearly. If you have not already started, maybe you should wait to marathon it, I'm psyched to see how the current fight wraps up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 was awesome. I want to go to a cake shop like that. Ooooo, the older sister ... can't wait until they meet her team in battle ... somebody needs to be brought down a peg or two.

Saddened that we'll have to wait an extra week to resume the current battle, but I have such faith in this show, I'm willing to bet that even 5.5 is going to be entertaining.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Why is 10 versus 5 considered a fair contest?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Because all tanks are not created equal. The USA tank force in WW2 was known for winning only through sheer numbers. The Sherman was not all that good of a tank, but Americans mass produced them like hell.

Granted, if a team had 10 Tigers or Panthers or something then there would be a big problem. I think there are rules that lay out senshado but have yet to be fully translated in English. I imagine there is some sort of way to ensure that a team is more-or-less even (such as some sort of point system or perhaps just a weight/cost limit)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Didn't one of them mention that the rules stated you could have up to 10? If the rules say you can have ten, then I see no reason why you should cut your forces in half and change your strategy because the competition can't afford more.

Also, I love the camera work in this show! Whether it be first person or third person view, I love it all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Why is 10 versus 5 considered a fair contest?

Because the rules also say that you only have to take out the flag tank to win.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 30