• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I feel like an alien. I never watch television, though I watch DVDs and things online (though for logistical reasons, not so often), so I find the significance of this question hard to judge.
I guess there's still money in getting on TV, and it's good for the anime distribution business in the U.S.?
BarensMom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this theme running through this thread: What does AS and CN have against anime? (Forgive me if this has been asked and answered)

I think if it's done correctly, Toonami could be used to showcase new anime as well as introduce the older classics to a new generation. If marketed correctly, televised anime could bring in a lot of now middle-aged viewers and their children, which means advertising revenue.

Last edited by BarensMom on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I must be the only one who DIDN'T have a raging hard-on for this april fool's prank.

I was surprised, but I wasn't all blown away or anything. I didn't even know it happened until the day after.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
@Adultswim just tweeted this!We've heard you. Thank you for your passion and interest - stay tuned.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
barrelroller wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
I feel like Bebop has been in their lineup since forever (I think it has been there from the start) and FLCL, once it came along, it just never left. And FLCL is 6 episodes long, so it's probably been aired in its entirety the most.

Cowboy Bebop was Adult Swim's first anime. I remember the day it started so clearly because it was on my brother's birthday and 9/11 happened two days later. It later had episodes skipped due to 9/11 and so did DBZ during it's primetime days.

That aside, I think it needs to go like this.

1. Adult Swim Saturday just needs to become Toonami. Maybe before 10 show classics that were already edited then start the new stuff afterwards.
2. They need to license at least 2 new shows to keep people coming back. I think any shonen show would do wonders for them. Fans ate up Naruto and their eating up Bleach now.

Soul Eater and Blue Exorcist (if dubbed) would do wonders. Both have non canon endings but I think it would be a good start and neither have a bazillion episodes. Aniplex USA was behind Durarara!! and Funimation finished SE two years ago. I can see it happening.

On a side note, Starting One Piece at episode 1 (funi dub) probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

3. ???
4. PROFIT!!! (or in this case RATINGS!!!)

That would work great considering toonami's last few years it was only on saturday. One Piece would be great on toonami but since it is so long already they would have to at least show 2 episodes a week or just start at season 4.

Nick did something similar with the 90's are all that and back when it first aired back in the summer it beat out pretty much every other program in the 9-11pm time slot. Nick also brought back stick stickly with the same voice but with updated dialouge since us 90's kids are grown. Cartton network could do the same with toonami. Get steve blum to do some new lines and either show what they showedon saturday or even anime like bleach and durarara or eve young justice and green lantern. The 90's are all that are still doing good despite nick for some reason not having a lot of rights to their own shows. It took them forever to show season 4 of all that.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
So does anyone think toonami will return tonight?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
So does anyone think toonami will return tonight?

It won't. Jason DeMarco has said as much on his twitter account. We can expect nothing until Adult Swim makes an announcement and we can't at the moment really know when that will be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Tonight on twitter everyone is tweeting @adultswim #BringBackToonami to help make it trend again anybody interested needs to get on twitter now.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
BREAKING NEWS: Steve Blum said this - @ERockstar5 @adultswim We're talking about licensing deals and network negotiations. This doesn't happen in weeks. Patience, my friend.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
OtherworldChaos

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, I know this is kind of random, but if you remember Toonami please show your support on Twitter. Smile

1. create or log onto your account.

2. type in #BringBackToonami on Saturday Night.

3. tweet #BringBackToonami @adultswim.

If you guys any of are unaware Toonami aired' on adultswim as an April fools joke. Since then adultswim has been listening to our voice and we made it trend. Please, if you are a Toonami Faithul please show your support, Thank You. Very Happy

[EDIT: Merged the threads together. -TK]
Chang Wufei

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Being from Canada, we don't have Toonami, instead we have an equivalent called YTV, however, I wish for Toonami to return, as I am very familiar with Toonami and I know how popular Toonami was back in the day. Also, Toonami's Gundam Wing closing is better than 'It's just love'.
gedeon-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
I kinda like Toonami back then... There was a lot of shows to see like Afro Samurai, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Durarara. I loved those days...
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
So guess what's coming back on May 26th! Very Happy
Zewerr

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but what does that actually mean? Looking at the schedule, it seems like they're playing the same old reruns with a new Bleach episode just like always.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 16