• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Even I have to agree there.Sure it's a decent fantasy anime series like scrapped princess,unforunately putting it on AS which was mainly for action based anime like Bleach,CG(Code Geass) and FMA and Trinity Blood and Big O was a bad mistake.

Instead of Moribito,AS should've have gotten Claymore.Don't you think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

You actually think that, even late at night, they would've aired a series that carries a TV-MA rating? (That rating is well-justified, too.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

You actually think that, even late at night, they would've aired a series that carries a TV-MA rating? (That rating is well-justified, too.)

Seeing as how they have aired (and do air) several, I think they would. Razz
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Seeing as how they have aired (and do air) several, I think they would. Razz

To give some examples, episodes of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (both the first and second seasons), as well as episodes of Blood +, have gotten M ratings quite often. I'm not sure they always deserved them, though, especially for some of the Stand Alone Complex episodes that got an M.

Also, I'm fairly certain Neon Genesis Evengelion has gotten M ratings, and there are probably plenty of animes I can't remember that AS has aired that got M's.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
To give some examples, episodes of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (both the first and second seasons), as well as episodes of Blood +, have gotten M ratings quite often. I'm not sure they always deserved them, though, especially for some of the Stand Alone Complex episodes that got an M.

Also, I'm fairly certain Neon Genesis Evengelion has gotten M ratings, and there are probably plenty of animes I can't remember that AS has aired that got M's.

I'll want to see proof on this. I have several volumes of GITS:SAC on DVD, and even the one with the most graphic content has a 16+ age rating. (Most are 13+.) Most of NGE is rated 15+, and I can't think of any episode of the regular series which would require a higher rating. (End of Evangelion, now, that's a different story, but to my recollection it never aired on [as].)

Blood + might be an exception, but I've seen all of that series and it's never as intensely graphic as what Claymore can get. At its strongest it's quite a bit more graphic than anything [as] has ever aired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any proof to show you, but I can guarantee you that a number of the anime series [as] has shown have had either certain episodes rated as TV-MA, or been listed as MA in their entirety. I think the first season of GITS aired before [as] had access to MA-rated content, but one particular episode (Jungle Cruise) always had a special disclaimer before it aired, and I think that's been rated MA on subsequent replays; I believe that a few of the 2nd GIG episodes may have pulled MA as well. I do know that both Blood+ and Trinity Blood pulled blanket MA ratings (well, I'm mostly sure for the latter; there may have been a few episodes that didn't), and the FUNi dub of Shin Chan definitely has for certain episodes. And all of that is just on the anime side of things; comedy shows like Metalocalypse, Moral Orel, ATHF, and Venture Brothers frequently rate MA ratings.
mangalore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Beatdigga"]
Top Gun wrote:

The show is boring. The pacing horrific, and the characters flat and lifeless. Balsa's fully clothed and 30. That doesn't mean much when she's dull as dirt. ...

I have to say I disagree. It made a great change of pace compared to other fantasy anime. That the heroine is grown up actually makes her far more believeable as the capable spearwoman who can take on even a group of warriors. I have to agree that the show had some pacing issues and kind of fizzled out in the end but somehow it suited its story not to go out with a big bang but a pragmatic matter of fact "that's how grownups would behave" ending.

As said, I found it a refreshing change of pace with a believeable female lead. The latter seems really scarce to me in Anime.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I'll want to see proof on this. I have several volumes of GITS:SAC on DVD, and even the one with the most graphic content has a 16+ age rating. (Most are 13+.) Most of NGE is rated 15+, and I can't think of any episode of the regular series which would require a higher rating. (End of Evangelion, now, that's a different story, but to my recollection it never aired on [as].)

Blood + might be an exception, but I've seen all of that series and it's never as intensely graphic as what Claymore can get. At its strongest it's quite a bit more graphic than anything [as] has ever aired.

I somehow missed this response till now, so I'm making a bit of a delayed response. Anyways, I assure you I am telling the truth, but I don't see any easy way to prove it at the moment.

I remember I was somewhat surprised that some of the episodes of Stand Alone Complex got the M Rating; I didn't really think most of them deserved it. Though I suppose one thing to remember is that the TV ratings don't have things like "16+," they jump straight from TV14 to TVM.

I can give you one example of an episode that got an M rating: the first episode of the second season. The most violent scene in that episode was a guy getting shot in the head near the end of the episode. I may not agree about that needing an M rating, but that's what it got.

EDIT: Something I forgot, but heck, some episodes of Code Geass have gotten an M rating.

No, I am not lying. I am convinced that whoever does the TV ratings in the US doesn't know how to handle anime. Regardless of that fact, though, as far as Adult Swim is probably concerned, there's little difference between one M rating and another.

And Code Geass is one I can prove, fortunately. Go to the Adult Swim Video site, select Action, and select Code Geass. They have a bunch of episode clips on their site. On the very first page that should come up, near the bottom, a couple of the clips have an M rating. For example, "How Many People I've Killed" and "You Can't Just Spring That."
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Code Geass got the MA rating, though, it was unwarranted IMO.

The last episode of Death Note got a MA rating, too, but that one definitely deserved it. Razz

Anyways, [as] could definitely air Claymore. It's not like they haven't aired a beheading before. Plus, now CN has their own "Cartoon Network West" channel, so they won't get any complains about what they air on late nights on the East coast.

Last edited by braves on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Me? I watched two random episodes (because of Adult Swim) and personally declared it to be incredibly boring, and not endearing at all. My sister agreed. Although, it obviously shouldn't be endearing, maybe at least the kids could be cute? Maybe it's 'cause I'm not into that deep stuff. The deepest thing I ever watched was FMA.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I got to halfway through episode 6 before finally putting a stop to this. Forced myself all the way their, with the only thing keeping me going was the high quality animation. I do enjoy shows that are not all action or fast paced including shows with none at all, so it's not like I wasn't willing to give it a chance. To me, Balsa seemed like she could be a great supporting character in a show. She's strong, makes pretty much all the right choices. She just doesn't seem to have a personality other than "clever spear woman"She's not funny, I'm not really interested in her back story, has a typical relationship that a woman her age would have while protecting a child. Not saying its bad, just nothing really interesting there. And the basic premise of the series so far, while it has some differences, seems to me FAR too similar to Scrapped Princess. Strong bodyguards protecting prince/princess who has been cast out of kingdom/marked for death by father due to some prophecy/star diviners reading, the brother who cares for their lost sibling, the prince/princess being protected will assumedly(word?) cause many people to die though the guardian(s) still protect them knowing this. I'm sure later on, some of the warriors in the kingdom will question the emperor and help balsa & co. Not saying all of these conditions are EXACTLY the same, but I can't help but say so far I haven't seen anything new to me except for good animation and a lead that is TO ME incredibly uninteresting. Just out of curiosity did anyone else notice the similarities to scrapped princess? cause i was assuming someone would comment on them. Maybe I'm just weird and there really aren't that many...
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
And the basic premise of the series so far, while it has some differences, seems to me FAR too similar to Scrapped Princess. Strong bodyguards protecting prince/princess who has been cast out of kingdom/marked for death by father due to some prophecy/star diviners reading, the brother who cares for their lost sibling, the prince/princess being protected will assumedly(word?) cause many people to die though the guardian(s) still protect them knowing this. I'm sure later on, some of the warriors in the kingdom will question the emperor and help balsa & co. Not saying all of these conditions are EXACTLY the same, but I can't help but say so far I haven't seen anything new to me except for good animation and a lead that is TO ME incredibly uninteresting. Just out of curiosity did anyone else notice the similarities to scrapped princess? cause i was assuming someone would comment on them.

Might help if you actually paid attention to the review:

review wrote:
. . .and in many senses the basic plot strongly resembles that of Scrapped Princess. . .

"Resembles" being the key word here, as Moribito has plenty enough difference in style, tone, and content to mark it as a substantially different variation on the same story theme.

Last edited by Key on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah... now I feel stupid, guess I somehow missed that part. sorry.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
I'm sure later on, some of the warriors in the kingdom will question the emperor and help balsa & co.

Nope, that's not what's going to happen =)

What I liked about Moribito is the way it shows how knowledge gets lost over time. spoiler[While different cultures mix with each other there are some parts, traditions that are forgotten. The journey of Balsa and Chagum is one back in time to find those forgotten pieces and understand the world they live in.]

And by the way, if one series is similar to another it's Scrapped Princess which is similar to Moribito. Moribito's first novel was published in 1996, while Scrapped Princess was first published in 1999.

But I also feel that those series are different enough from each other. Scrapped Princess has a lot more Fantasy (magicians) or even Science-Fiction parts, while the world in Moribito is actually very realistic spoiler[with the spirit world not being a direct part of it, but more like two sides of a coin that influence each other in certain places/times. The characters don't use any "real magic", only as a shaman they are able to get into contact with the other world].

And imho the main focus of each series is a different one, i.e. the reason why the prince/princess is being chased and the chase itself. It's the main focus of SP and continues till the very end, while in Moribito that's not really the case. The series focuses a lot more on daily life, the world, its traditions etc.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
What episodes are on this DVD, and when will the DVD(s) containing episodes 8 and up be released in the U.S?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7