• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2022

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
ryboom wrote:
Listen: I don't want to read an anime review. I want to know if Caitlin Moore is traumatized by cartoon cleavage or not. Is she a good virtuous person who hates boobies, or a bad person who doesn't hate boobies?

You have 16 posts over the last decade+ that are mostly just criticizing staff here? Get a life already. Confused
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:44 am Reply with quote
I don't know why but I couldn't get into Call of the Night. I got bored since the characters only talked about daily stuff with little progress about the main plot involving vampires. I feel like I'm repeating the Gantz meme with this comment. Yeah, the backgrounds were nicely drawn but I can't get bought with that.

Quote:
As for movies I have no opinion for I have watched none that came out 2022. Well I watched three anime movies on the cinema in 2022, but they're all 2021 movies

Yeah Morbius counts even if it's not Japanese Cool That's how awesome that movie was
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:14 pm Reply with quote
With all of the staff Top 5s now in, I'm going to do my annual summary. But first my tops for the year.

Best Character: Anya Forger, Spy x Family.
She's a scene-stealer and comedy driver and had the year's best facial expressions and reaction shots, but I loved her most for the way the series allowed her to apply her purely 6-year-old viewpoint to what was going on around her.

Best Moment: Handler One finally meets Spearhead Squadron in person, 86 episode 23.
I knew from reading the novels that this was the scene that the entire series was built towards, and to say that the production team nailed it might be an understatement. Easily the year's most emotionally affecting scene for me.

Best Song: tie - "Mysterious" from Raven of the Inner Palace and "Bloody Power Fame" from Bastard!!
Lots of great anisongs this year, but these two OPs stood out on top both because of rewatchability (I never skipped either) and because of how flawlessly they represented the essence of their respective series. That the former's lyrics are describing the circumstances of the titular character only gradually becomes apparent as the series progresses, while the latter is a bombastic rock paean for a series that is a bombastic paean to the spirit of '80s rock and metal. Other top options in my book using the same criteria include the OPs for Attack on Titan Final Season p2, Akiba Maid War, and Call of the Night.

Top 10 series for 2022
10. Chainsaw Man
9. Akiba Maid War
8. Attack on Titan The Final Season p2
7. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV
6. Summer Time Rendering
5. My Dress-Up Darling
4. Raven of the Inner Palace
3. Spy x Family
2. Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun
1. 86

Most of my reasoning for the title being in the ranking echoes what staff members said in talking about the respective titles (and kudos to Kim especially for the nod on 86!), so I'll only add that DanMachi - my one unmatched pick - earned the spot for how wonderfully it constructed and executed its ambiance, the sense that the Dungeon really is a dangerous place. No other series in 2022 which featured any degree of dungeon-crawling comes even remotely close to achieving the same impact.

Staff Summary
Out of a possible 55, there were 29 unique entries, including eight different #1 picks of of a possible 11. (And interestingly, only one title got multiple #1s.) Ordering in the list below uses higher-ranking votes as first tiebreaker and alphabetical order as second.

Chainsaw Man - 5 (1 #1)
Call of the Night - 4 (1)
Birding Wing -Golf Girls' Story- 4 (1)
Kaguya-Sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic- - 3 (3)
Bocchi the Rock! - 3 (1)
Spy x Family - 3 (1)
Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun - 3 (1)
Akiba Maid War - 3 (1)
Shadows House s2 - 2
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners - 2
Love Live! Superstar!! s2 - 2
Lycoris Recoil - 2
Pop Team Epic s2 - 2
The Orbital Children - 2
86 - 1 (1)
The Executioner and Her Way of Life - 1 (1)
The Eminence in Shadow - 1
Ya Boy Kongming! - 1
Dance Dance Danseur - 1
Teasing Master Takagi-san - 1
The Case Study of Vanitas s2 - 1
Aoashi - 1
My Dress-Up Darling - 1
Summer Time Rendering - 1
Uncle From Another World - 1
Attack on Titan Final Season p2 - 1
JoJo's Bizarre Adventrue: Stone Ocean - 1
Pokemon Journeys: The Series - 1
Raven of the Inner Palace - 1

Last edited by Key on Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:27 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
SHD wrote:
Come to think of it, btw, don't you need an account to vote in the first place? There's either a whole lot of sleeper agents here, or someone just registered a bot army...

I think you don't need an account to vote, no - can't check for sure because it just closed...
Nope, you don't need an account to vote. I verified that a while ago. However, Cloudflare or ANN keeps track of IP addresses. Welcome to 2023 y'all!

Thanks Key, for the collated list and weighing in on the results skewing. Wonder how the gang will sort out the mess, by the aforementioned IP address tracking or time stamp filtering?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:23 pm Reply with quote
One thing 2022 will be remembered for is the corporate consolidation of anime in the West.

• The Sony-directed merger of Funimation and Crunchyroll came into effect, as the Funimation name disappeared from physical releases and dubs, while every video on their still-extant site now begins with a pre-roll directing viewers to Crunchyroll.
  • Crunchyroll/Sony also bought out Right Stuf, with Shane Kleckner finally calling it a day after 35 years. This also had the unfortunate side effect of instantly deleting all the adult items from the rightstuf.com site, although its replacement (buyanime.com) does seem to have gotten its feet under it.
  • Finally, Kadokawa acquired a controlling interest in Anime News Network.

And while it may not be a consequence of all this, but I would like to nominate as my Dick Move of 2022, Crunchyroll's decision to disable the screenshot button on their iOS apps, after more than a decade of supporting it. It's a pitiful sop to copyright maximalism, and a slap in the face to paying customers. I'm paying $100 for a premium membership and you won't let me promote your shows with a screenshot on social media? Funny how the people who pirate their anime don't face these kinds of encumbrances; it's only your loyal customers you can push around like this.

OK, Sony, you win. You've effectively monopolized anime distribution in the West. Tell you what: take $5 of my annual subscription and treat it as a license fee to use screenshots on social media. You've got my money; you don't have to be such dicks about it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
All poll bot answers will be thrown out before the results are published tomorrow Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Rave of the Inner Palace

Ah yes, the spin-off series of Ya Boy Kongming!. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Key wrote:
Rave of the Inner Palace

Ah yes, the spin-off series of Ya Boy Kongming!. Wink

Corrected. Admittedly, that was one of my funnier typos in recent memory. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
By the gods of old, Macross made a "Best of" appearance in this decade!??!?!?! YAKKA DECULTURE! Very Happy

Very happy that it got some praise. I do agree that if you aren't a long time fan from the 80s, or at least Macross Plus, it would be difficult to fully understand the significance of all the many parts of the movie from spoiler[the Protoculture ruins, pop idol worship, and finally the totally unexpected revelations of who Lady M might be!.] Also lets not forget the out of this world/dimension appears of spoiler[The Megaroad Colony ship!!! Misa and Hikaru alive and well???!!! Embarassed ] Who saw that one coming?? Truly magnificent and a worthy addition to the Macross story. Happy 40th anniversary Macross! Lets look forward to the next installment sooner then later.

And also I'd like to show some love for the great new show Eight Six. The story and action of the show was fantastic and really hope we have not seen the last of the Spearhead squadron in animated form. I have the novels and I'm reluctant to read them only because I want to save the surprise and astonishment for when I first see it on screen. The mecha designs are amazing and has restarted my love for model kits and gunpla. I hope that at the least we get some of the Legion kits in the near future.

Here is hope that we do get at least a 2nd season if not several more seasons of 86 before it is left to the distant memory of the anime battlefield.

Glory to the Spearhead Squadron! Cool
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Video games and movies eh?

I didn't play any video games, because video games are insanely pricey and I'm not fond of free-to-play games either. I miss the flash browser game era. As for movies, I did watch some anime movies during the year, but only one of them came out this year and that was Bubble, and I cannot in good faith say that film was the best anime movie I saw during the year. If it's okay, I'll just list the films I watched during the past year from worst to best;

Spriggan
Garden of Words
Redline
Children who Chase Lost Voices
Bubble
Castle in the Sky
Lupin III: The First
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
One Piece: Strong World
Weathering with You
The Girl who Leapt through Time
Demon Slayer: Mugen Train
Sword of the Stranger
Tekkonkinkreet
Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop
Night Is Short, Walk on Girl
Dr. Stone: Ryusui (Would TV specials count?)
Maquia
Boy and the Beast
Wind Rises
Promare
Summer Wars

Spriggan was forgettable, I even watched the Netflix remake and I didn't like it. Redline was overrated, I heard a lot of praise from word-of-mouth through YouTube videos, but I was kinda disappointed, it's good, but it feels too long and drawn out. I think Shinkai is overrated as a storywriter, his direction is otherworldly (I mean look at how water is animated in his films!). Strong World is okay in my book, I probably would have liked it more if I saw it immediately after the arc that preceded the movie. Soda Pop was nice with the character designs, artwork and wholesome vibes. Maquia blew me away with everything, Mari Okada really pulled out the stops with that one. I think Mamoru Hosoda is in the top-tier of anime directors, that said I'll not forgive him for his comments about Miyazaki. Sword of the Stranger is super clean with its animation.
The Wind Rises was a really touching story about passion, love, and sacrifice, it's not necessarily my favourite Ghibli film (that's Kiki's Delivery Service), but it's up there. My first impression of Tekkonkinkreet was that it looked like a Mike Judge cartoon, there's no such thing as a bad Mike Judge cartoon that said.

Edit: If you're wondering why I watched one anime film from this year, that's because in Nigeria we don't get anime films. You either watch them on whatever streaming service you got (Netflix, Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime Video) or through other means. We did get the Dragon Ball movie here, but it did not last long in Nigerian theatres. What a shame,

Last edited by DamianSalazar on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The moral quandaries are at their most thought-provoking.

Big disagree. SMTV was many things, but thought provoking was not one of them.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually just realized that I played waaay more games than I watched anime this year. My list of games has over 50 on it, but I'd struggle to make a top 10 anime list.

Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten and Tunic were the clear standouts for me this year, but Live A Live, OneShot: World Machine Edition, and Seventh Lair were also fantastic. I did also love Xenoblade Chronicles 3 a lot, but...
Jean-Karlo Lemus wrote:
Who knows, maybe Xenoblade 3 will let me down.

spoiler[I'd give most of XC3 a 10/10, but the ending was a real 5/10 for me. Aside from pulling out a needless tearjerker ending at the last moment with no foreshadowing, the big bad guy also ended up being paper-thin and completely uninteresting, and it also managed to undermine the game's themes up until that point. While it wasn't enough to ruin the rest of the game for me, the ending definitely took it out of consideration for being my game of the year.]
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Alright, Kessoku Band's album is available at Amazon, and I assume from other vendors of .mp3 music.

What about Kikuri's band's album? I want that!
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:45 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

And while it may not be a consequence of all this, but I would like to nominate as my Dick Move of 2022, Crunchyroll's decision to disable the screenshot button on their iOS apps, after more than a decade of supporting it. It's a pitiful sop to copyright maximalism, and a slap in the face to paying customers. I'm paying $100 for a premium membership and you won't let me promote your shows with a screenshot on social media? Funny how the people who pirate their anime don't face these kinds of encumbrances; it's only your loyal customers you can push around like this.

That's super bizzare, becuase the complete opposite happened on Android. Before, you couldn't screenshot on the app but a few months ago it suddenly changed and now you're able to take screenshots. Maybe I did something different I dunno, but I find it so weird that the situation is the reverse. It also probably means it's not a license issue
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I did not expect Shin Megami Tensei V to be nr 2. While I can only comment on about half the game, the story seems to be quite bad. The other strong points still stand tho.

For personal favorite, probably Rogue Legacy 2. But I would like to give a shout out to Crystal Project, which was a surprise hit for me. Its exploration just gave me a feeling of satisfaction that very few games match.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12