• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About Kadokawa's Investment in ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Why are there so many people in these forums that literally hate this site? Laughing

Weird, isn't it?

Though cutsio is right that the site tech is all a bit 2004, so it's good to hear there's some investment promised in that direction.

I'm pleased they've announced no staffing changes, because that was my first thought on reading the headlines. Corporate promises of "no changes" have a pretty limited shelf life, but we should give Kadokawa the benefit of the doubt and assume they do genuinely mean what they say, it's just there are no final decisions in business, and everything gets re-evaluated eventually.

That is just the way of the world, but it's rare for companies to act against their own best interests. They're not looking for profits from ANN directly. I'm sure its about marketing opportunity primarily (expect to see announcements of Bookwalker sales and promotions I guess?), and they don't get the benefit of that if they drive the community away. So I fully expect they'll largely leave ANN to its own devices, but ANN will get more content/access on upcoming Kadokawa properties (I can see interviews and features on creative teams and such being considered a win-win arrangement). They don't need to ask ANN for unreasonably positive coverage to reap the benefits of increased exposure.

I've not been here as long as many, but I like ANN. I enjoy reading the streaming reviews (thanks review team!). I find the database a useful resource (thanks unsung database heroes!). I'm not that interested in which VAs are off sick this week but I don't begrudge the site for publishing those articles for people who do like to keep up to date on that sort of thing. I like making a fool of myself on the forums with my idiotic British sense of humor and dumb opinions on TV shows really aimed at people half my age. Until at least some of these things change, I don't really care (within reason) who is paying the bills.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll keep an open mind on ANN's editorial content moving forward, but I am hoping Kadokawa will provide some badly needed investment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:41 pm Reply with quote
seems like you guys did a lot of work and due diligence can't fully shake off my worry, but it seems like it could be a good thing and it's not like it's the first time you had corporate funding.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
ximpalullaorg wrote:
AFAIK they don't really "own" a lot of overseas companies (but I may be wrong).

They acquired J-Novel Club in 2021. In 2016 they acquired 51% stake in Yen Press.

As a FYI Yen Press was always a co-op between Kadokawa (thats why Yen gets first dibs on dengki stuff) and Hachette one of the big five that own 90% of book publishing
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:20 am Reply with quote
Well, wasn't expecting this news when I saw it earlier. For now I'll hope for the best. With a large company behind it, maybe the ads can be toned down a bit? It'd be nice to open a few articles in tabs without a CPU spike
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:42 am Reply with quote
The following may be of interest.
Justin Sevakis wrote:
Given how few anime companies there really are in the US these days (and therefore, how few potential advertisers), something like this seemed inevitable to me for the last few years. Many mixed feelings.
https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/1587438180776562688
Justin Sevakis wrote:
I may not always be on the same page as ANN, and have little to do with it these days, but it is my first startup, 24(!) years ago. Spent a lot of my life working on that site, and it will always mean something to me. Congrats to @ANN_Ed for crossing a finish line of sorts.
https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/1587439590389911552
Justin Sevakis wrote:
I’m sure pretty much everybody has similar concerns going forward. Hope this means good things, for both the site’s content and its team, and I’ll leave it at that.
https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/1587440270114578433
Christopher Macdonald wrote:
The best part of this. I no longer have to deal with finances, advertising sales, accounting, government taxes, etc. Honestly, this is 33% of why I decided to do this; now I can focus on ANN the website, and not ANN the company.
https://twitter.com/ANN_Ed/status/1587357112048328704

I currently don't know how to really feel about this, other than "Another company buying up another company in this industry?". Seriously in the past year we've had FUNimation buying Crunchyroll and rebranded as Crunchyroll, LLC, AMC Networks bought Sentai Filmworks, PLAION PICTURES bought Anime Limited, Kadokawa bought J-Novel Club, Crunchyroll bought Right Stuf and subsequently then sold Critical Mass Video to Adult Source Media... Where does it end? We're so far removed from the days of ADV's "What is anime?" ads for The Anime Network and everything feels so corporate, the atmosphere is absolutely suffocating as a result. Things are completely unrecognizable from when I got into anime almost 14 years ago (it'll be 14 years in a week). Anime has always been a business, but it now resembles what happened to video games.

I'm hoping nothing negative comes out of this, but I'll remain cautious given how often you hear corporate speak when this happens and then we see all the negative effects (See: Everything going on with Crunchyroll and FUNimation merging in a completely chaotic and haphazard manner). My primary use of this site currently is mainly the encyclopedia and every once in a while the news articles, interviews, and columns like Answerman, so I'm not as concerned about the reviews and such as I currently rarely read them (I rarely read reviews in general).

I wonder if I'll be made to promote Kadokawa stuff even though I'm an Encyclopedia Editor, or a volunteer. I wonder if I'd have to promote say Strike the Blood... Kadokawa overlords, you can pay me to promote "No Senpai, this is our fight!"

(Couldn't resist making a joke with my love for Strike the Blood, a big Kadokawa property.)
Covnam wrote:
Well, wasn't expecting this news when I saw it earlier. For now I'll hope for the best. With a large company behind it, maybe the ads can be toned down a bit? It'd be nice to open a few articles in tabs without a CPU spike
Yeah, the ads have been fairly bad. I'm one of the few that doesn't use an adblocker, but they've been overwhelming the past few years. It's one of the main reasons why I finally subscribed (I choose not to display my subscriber status), so I wouldn't get all those ads that ruined the formatting of the pages and made it difficult to add info to the encyclopedia in a timely manner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Boonabadoopadoop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:37 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
Yeah, gonna be tough to trust reviews for Kadokawa stuff now. You can say all you want about "we will keep our independence" but its been long proven that companies that own sites and magazines don't like those reviews to be critical of their products.

The idea that the reviewers would be forced to sing the praises of Shield Hero's next season is pretty funny, not going to lie. Kadokawa is one of the biggest producers of light novel adaptions/isekai works which a lot of the reviewers seem to dislike so this team-up is certainly interesting.

I remember when Trash Taste partnered with Kadokawa. A lot of people called them shills or PR divisions too. But it also let them do cool stuff like tour their offices in Japan or interview LN authors like Redo of Healer.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:21 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
You will when you're fired, and they replace you with someone that does.
They can't fire me as long as I remain a shareholder. They can't force me to sell my shares for years.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:25 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
And so then comes the following question: How much power and/or influence does KAD have over your paycheck/bonuses/employment or other ways to "make things difficult" if you should happen to be "difficult" with them?
Very little. My salary/bonuses are in my contract. My salary is also irrelevant compared to the value of my stocks. It's in my best interest to protect ANN's value, and that goes down the drain if we turn into a mouth piece.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:33 am Reply with quote
Boonabadoopadoop wrote:

The idea that the reviewers would be forced to sing the praises of Shield Hero's next season is pretty funny, not going to lie. Kadokawa is one of the biggest producers of light novel adaptions/isekai works which a lot of the reviewers seem to dislike so this team-up is certainly interesting.
I didn't even watch it but I checked in on the reviews occasionally and season two of Shield Hero already had fair and balanced reviews in the daily streaming reviews and most of the criticisms of it were the issues most fans had with it with the production and pacing of the season. Contrary to popular belief, the ANN reviewers aren't hive minds and they do have reviewers who actually like isekai and otaku light novel type shows. Unless it's a show that's like really bad, ANN is actually generally good at picking reviewers who will be fair but honest about the material they are reviewing.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:37 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Tempest wrote:
I understand your concern, but if you look at our history, you can see that we've consistently been free to write critically about the products of our largest advertisers and our other investors.

I don't have any reason to doubt you on this, but out've curiosity, what're some good examples of critical reviews ANN's done of some of its largest advertisers' products?

The extra investment in web dev sounds great. Has always seemed like there's a lot more that could be done with the ANN site.

Rising of the Shield Hero - Funimation
Rinne - Viz spent a fortune advertising this with us
Rent a Girl Friend - Crunchyroll

I'm sure I can find Aniplex and Bandai shows that were heavily criticized, but I have to get to dinner. I'll come back and add to this later.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:38 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Thank you for being straightforward about this. Can we expect to see a disclosure appended to any article where the subject matter may intersect with Kadokawa properties?
Yes.

Quote:

Also, a couple years ago, you were talking about a revamped VIP membership offering. Is that still in development?
Yes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:42 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
@ANN_Lynzee

"So long as I am here" So, all Kodakowa has to do is fire you, and get someone who will do what they want? None of the staff at ANN is irreplaceable, despite what you all seem to think.

They can't fire her so long as I'm here. They can't fire me so long as I own shares. They can't force me to sell my shares for years.

Eventually I will. I plan to retire. After that, hopefully ANN's independence will be well established within Kadokawa. That's the most I can do, set that foundation.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:44 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
@Tempest, ANN_Lynzee: I dearly hope your optimism proves warranted.
Me too!

Quote:

Well, maybe now we can finally get that phpBB3 upgrade? It'd be nice to have signatures.
Oh, sigs exist in phpBB2; we don't like them.

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:51 am Reply with quote
Closing thoughts: I don't blame anyone here for being skeptical. I would be too. I believe quite firmly that we will be able to remain editorially independent, but you should wait and see. Let us prove it to you.

Should we fail, no one will be more disappointed or angry than I will be.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9