• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chainsaw Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:30 am Reply with quote
That final scene is really interesting. It makes you wonder, is Himeno making a move on Denji because she feels guilty for using him and puking on him, and giving him sex is her idea of making things right? Is she doing it just to further use him and motivate him? Is she doing it to make Aki jealous? Is she just drunk and horny?

Probably all of the above. She's certainly a compelling character (and a menace to minors Laughing) Still don't like her tho.

Anyway, great episode. I kinda hope they keep the censorship in the blu-ray release, not because I think the vomit scene is gross, but because the censorship somehow made it even funnier Laughing

Kobeni looks adorable in that outfit, I'll give her that.

Loved the new ED too. I also like that they used the third ED at the beginning.

"Your blood might taste like shit, but watching you shriek in pain makes it taste like strawberry jam." Chainsaw Man is fun
Philville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
This episode was great, all around. All the VA's are doing a wonderful job; in particular the range of Mariya Ise's as Himeno. We see her playful, somber, panicked, flirty, and sultry, and each one is slightly different sounding while still clearly being the same character. I knew the vomit part was coming but oh man, I don't think an anime scene has made me actually gag before. This ED was also one of my favorites, with it's Vaporwave/retro game/80's anime aesthetic.

I agree with all of this, except that I didn't see the barf coming. I spent most of the second half of the episode thinking "that's some seriously well animated beer" and feeling my mouth water right up until that moment. I never thought booze sakuga would be a thing but this anime is definitely trying very hard to make me like it (it already satisfied the coffee junkie in me with the Aki morning routine sequence). Laughing

Makima being able to hold her liquor makes her even more sexy and it's entirely fitting that Himeno can't but keeps up with her anyway. Do we know how old Himeno is, given that everyone is so shocked that Denji thinks he's 16? On a side note, Power is clearly the worst person to have dinner with. I wouldn't want to get in a fight with her over the sashimi and fried chicken but it would be inevitable.

I also loved the ED and the rainbow vomit was brilliant. It paired beautifully with the insanely catchy song, which is probably my favorite next to the Maximum the Hormone track. This episode had it all -- action, gore, humor and sexiness (i.e., Chainsaw Man cranked to 11, although I suppose the way the fight wrapped up was a little anticlimactic). Also, did that Himeno kiss give the famous Engage Kiss smooch a run for its money or what? Well, maybe not in terms of production values, but it definitely felt a hell of a lot more realistic to me given the context.

Everlasting Coconut wrote:
That final scene is really interesting. It makes you wonder, is Himeno making a move on Denji because she feels guilty for using him and puking on him, and giving him sex is her idea of making things right? Is she doing it just to further use him and motivate him? Is she doing it to make Aki jealous? Is she just drunk and horny?

She talks a lot about Makima so there's definitely some aspect of jealousy linked to Aki. I haven't read the manga at all but my hunch is that they won't actually have sex but that Denji won't remember a thing either way because of how drunk he was, which could become a source of humor and tension with Aki until the whole thing is eventually cleared up. That, or Denji really did get lucky. I mean, the poor guy did have to put in some serious work.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:

She talks a lot about Makima so there's definitely some aspect of jealousy linked to Aki.

Yeah, and maybe the fact that everyone seems to be attracted to Makima is messing with her self-esteem, so this is her way to validate herself? Add that to the list of reasons why she's doing this.

Quote:
Denji won't remember a thing either way because of how drunk he was

You know, I never understood if Denji was drunk here or not. He definitely seems to be, but he said he only drank tea. It might just be a side effect of vomiting, and I don't think Himeno did anything to him (or at least, I'd like to think she didn't!).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Denji may have a future as a Spinal Tap drummer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1QHiYsSGE
Philville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and maybe the fact that everyone seems to be attracted to Makima is messing with her self-esteem, so this is her way to validate herself? Add that to the list of reasons why she's doing this.

Yep, that's my bet (in addition to the other points you've mentioned), unless there's mischief afoot... or just plain old horniness.

You know, I never understood if Denji was drunk here or not. He definitely seems to be, but he said he only drank tea. It might just be a side effect of vomiting, and I don't think Himeno did anything to him (or at least, I'd like to think she didn't!).

Good point. He definitely mentioned that he was only drinking tea when his age came up. I guess swallowing someone else's vomit can be pretty dehydrating, too (come to think of it, Himeno did all the drinking, so the alcohol did find its way into his body eventually). There were also a lot of empty glasses by the end so it isn't entirely clear how much everyone drank, specifically.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Looks like Denji may have a future as a Spinal Tap drummer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1QHiYsSGE

I thought it was "spontaneous combustion" that officially did the drummer in. Laughing Sadly, choking on barf has caused more than one musician's death in real life.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:

Good point. He definitely mentioned that he was only drinking tea when his age came up. I guess swallowing someone else's vomit can be pretty dehydrating, too (come to think of it, Himeno did all the drinking, so the alcohol did find its way into his body eventually). There were also a lot of empty glasses by the end so it isn't entirely clear how much everyone drank, specifically.

When Himeno entered the bedroom, she kissed him again with a mouth full of beer, so maybe he's super lightweight or drunk on the atmosphere of tasting beer (without it being mixed with other things) for the first time.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get the impression Denji was drunk -- I thought literally swallowing vomit had led to him vomiting as-if drunk, and chain-vomiting is pretty exhausting, so the experience left him sleepy and out of it.

Also, gross choice of Denji-eating-Himeno's-vomit thumbnail for the latest ANN Youtube upload! After it floated across my recommended more than once, had to click Not Interested. Shocked
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that he got drunk by swallowing her booze-vomit, lol.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Was curious about what happens next and ended up reading a few chapters. Damn. Looking forward to the next 2 or 3 episodes

Gem-Bug wrote:
This ED was also one of my favorites, with it's Vaporwave/retro game/80's anime aesthetic.

Really enjoyed the visuals as well, but I think they should have used a song that fits them better. Something that sounds like it was from the time of the aesthetic
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
I thought it was "spontaneous combustion" that officially did the drummer in. Laughing Sadly, choking on barf has caused more than one musician's death in real life.

Yes, and not just musicians, but probably not someone else's (though as they said, "you can't really dust for vomit."). Also, ST had many drummers, so your memory wasn't wrong.
Metamarphosis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:43 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Was curious about what happens next and ended up reading a few chapters. Damn. Looking forward to the next 2 or 3 episodes

Dont read manga bro. Anime is so good that you regret reading the manga. I wish to erased my memory.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Gotta give credit with how the interaction in this group things. I bet a lot of people call Aki mean things for ignoring the obvious crush the girl has this episode shows why. Makima also appeared somehow adorable to me when she showed up to nowhere in the middle of Denji's dialogue while casually saying "kiss?" And even after the whole incident she drank A LOT of beer. It feels different from how she manipulated Denji about the reward.

Also, the ending video.... wow! The series sure feels aimed towards an older demography rather than the intended one. The barf kinda reminded me to Gintama and especially Golden Kamuy when Sugimoto threw up his food and it landed completely in Shiraishi's mouth.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
It was amusing that they'd specifically point out that Denji wasn't drinking beer. Sure, there may be violence and gore, or an adult woman sexually grooming a minor, but underage drinking is the one line they can't cross.

The ending song was written for this anime, right? Specifically that scene? Even if the official lyrics read "get on chu", I can only think that ゲゲゲロ ゲゲゲロ ゲロチュー refers to the vomit kiss.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Non-pixelated vomit would've probably made my gag reflex worse.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:46 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Non-pixelated vomit would've probably made my gag reflex worse.

This. I'm very ok with it being pixelated, though it made it a little worse where there was a definite like, strand of puke behind the pixelization as their faces parted ways, while in the manga she is "just" puking into his mouth.

I'm not really understanding people's want of the day-glow colors? Like from the volume covers? I never really saw them as being that flashy?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10