• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Ent. Launches Kickstarter for Aria the Animation English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
true enough. I have never heard of headline studios before. the only dubbing studio I know of that is in new york is of course NYAV which have highly respected VAs. this news on the studio have me worried that it will get a half assed performance unlike other series under nozumi's belt.

I don't release half-assed products.
We have used this studio before for dubs, and they do a fantastic job. Once you see some of the cast added I hope you'll be happy.

Quote:
hopefully other rightstuff/nozumi titles can get projects like these so they can too get dubbed. especially for a series like emma which more or less warrants one. and of course maria watches over us.

Certainly possible. Have to get this one going first!
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Hi Ann, I'm just curious whether this kickstarter is available to people outside the US (eg. the UK), for those of us with multi-region players? Obviously the shipping costs would rise quite a bit, but I'm just seeing it's even allowed before trying to pledge.

Also, I echo the view that a Blu-ray & chipboard Box only option would be appreciated.

This disc will be Region A. If you have a multi-region player, you should be fine.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:
Hi Ann, I'm just curious whether this kickstarter is available to people outside the US (eg. the UK), for those of us with multi-region players? Obviously the shipping costs would rise quite a bit, but I'm just seeing it's even allowed before trying to pledge.

Also, I echo the view that a Blu-ray & chipboard Box only option would be appreciated.

That's a question for Shawne, if you're talking about the Aria Kickstarter.

Did the Early Bird prices end at 200 backers? I was #200. lol

Early bird ends a week from the announcement.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I'm not sure NYAV is particularly relevant here. Most of their recent productions seem to really lean heavy on their LA studio. The random stuff Media Blasters has been putting out is probably more in line, cast wise at least, for what you could expect from an NY dub.

Media Blasters has been using their own studio as of late in-house. They have used Headline in the past, but it has been many years ago. The original Ikki Tousen would be an example of Headline's work, but not things like Kanojo etc. that are recent.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I still agree with this approach to dub Aria, but l upon further reflection I am wondering if it might have been better for Right Stuf to ask for $450,000 upfront to dub the 3 seasons. That is a lot of money, but I am thinking that maybe that way fans would be more motivated to contribute if they know that everything is being dubbed. If things went badly and the goal was not met, I figure that Right Stuf could cover on their own the cost for a sub-only BD release of all three seasons.

And I second the idea of Right Stuf using crowd funding to dub more of their catalog titles. I would love a dub for Sound of the Sky.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I also agree with if this campaign is to dub all three seasons it should have been known from the start.

Clannad VN Kickstarter campaign Ended With US$541,101 so it is possible.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I still agree with this approach to dub Aria, but l upon further reflection I am wondering if it might have been better for Right Stuf to ask for $450,000 upfront to dub the 3 seasons. That is a lot of money, but I am thinking that maybe that way fans would be more motivated to contribute if they know that everything is being dubbed. If things went badly and the goal was not met, I figure that Right Stuf could cover on their own the cost for a sub-only BD release of all three seasons.

And I second the idea of Right Stuf using crowd funding to dub more of their catalog titles. I would love a dub for Sound of the Sky.

In terms of the licensor, it is better to fund and make the kickstarter, and perhaps to create stretch goals than to have it fail and not fund; not funding makes the creator feel their product isn't seen in a good light.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I also agree with if this campaign is to dub all three seasons it should have been known from the start.

Clannad VN Kickstarter campaign Ended With US$541,101 so it is possible.

If the kickstarter were to fail, then it would be off the table entirely. We decided it would be better to have a success to start off with than a failure, as I can't be sure we'd make such a lofty number.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I ment have the other seasons stretch goals known
Not add them to the main campaign. When/if they are announce I will change the amount I contribute to get the other seasons.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
I honestly don't know. If Nozomi stated that they would contract it out to Funimation or Sentai then I'd get a good idea what it could sound like but this could be anything.

We will be using Headline Studios for this, which we also used for Boogiepop, His and Her Circumstances, and The Third. We have access to people all over, so it may not restricted to NY actors only. Cast will be put in updates as added.

Skip Beat, as well as most dubs these days, can easily overcome distances and regions if not always union dues. However, ARIA is even different from Toradora in my mind; It's not just one or two characters that make the show, all the leads...all the named characters... how should I put this...

Need to come together like a string quartet, like the soundtrack itself. You can't score one or two names and call it a day, you need to get a trio that work together as a known quantity. Even if the actors don't work together in the studio, certain combinations are just better. If they have Actor A, they can hire Actor B as the counterpoint and then get Actor C to completely mix it up.

But Aria isn't even that simple as there is two trios that need to be formed as well as three separate duos out of those six. I'm glad it's not Bang Zoom, I really am... all the actresses there are starting to sound the same to me these days and I think its on purpose... but it is a little worrying to hear both "Don't worry, the dub studio is still the same" and "Don't worry, it's all different and not as studio centric".

The trickiest part is that I never thought this show would get a dub in the first place.. What would Akari sound like in English?

"Once more chance, please!" Like that, only though out the entire show? Something like it, I guess. Someone who can get easily emotional but still have a certain core strength.

Like I said, it's tricky.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Skip Beat, as well as most dubs these days, can easily overcome distances and regions if not always union dues. However, ARIA is even different from Toradora in my mind; It's not just one or two characters that make the show, all the leads...all the named characters... how should I put this...

Need to come together like a string quartet, like the soundtrack itself. You can't score one or two names and call it a day, you need to get a trio that work together as a known quantity. Even if the actors don't work together in the studio, certain combinations are just better. If they have Actor A, they can hire Actor B as the counterpoint and then get Actor C to completely mix it up.

But Aria isn't even that simple as there is two trios that need to be formed as well as three separate duos out of those six. I'm glad it's not Bang Zoom, I really am... all the actresses there are starting to sound the same to me these days and I think its on purpose... but it is a little worrying to hear both "Don't worry, the dub studio is still the same" and "Don't worry, it's all different and not as studio centric".

The trickiest part is that I never thought this show would get a dub in the first place.. What would Akari sound like in English?

"Once more chance, please!" Like that, only though out the entire show? Something like it, I guess. Someone who can get easily emotional but still have a certain core strength.

Like I said, it's tricky.

If there is a show that I think would have been too hard to dub and retain the same appeal it would probably be Toradora (Tiaga was basically the iconic role for he voice actress) and yet, the dub as phenomenal. So, I would put my worries to rest if that is what concerns you.

Now if Bakemonogatari was getting dubbed, I would have reservations.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Well made my pledge. Decided to take advantage and do the early bird $95 pledge. Mostly for the slip case and the coffee mug. I drink a lot of tea and coffee. Plus some of my old stuff I cleared out sold on ebay so why not bump up the pledge.

I do have a question though. Obviously this might be way too early to answer but I'll ask anyways. Assuming this meets the goal and season 1 gets made you'll move onto season 2. Then rinse and repeat to season 3. I have to think some of the draw for the higher and mid level tiers (anything $100+) is the merch/bonuses being given for those levels. With season 2 & 3 being full seasons (as in how they used to be 20 episodes+) those goals will no doubt be higher. So my question is do you have any ideas for merch/rewards for different levels for those projects?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6