• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... I don't hear any Jouji Yanami in Schemmel's Kaio. I hear Don Brown. Now, if only Brice Armstrong was still voice acting, he would make a great Kaio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yeah... I don't hear any Jouji Yanami in Schemmel's Kaio. I hear Don Brown. Now, if only Brice Armstrong was still voice acting, he would make a great Kaio.

Maybe R. Bruce Elliot? The guy is basically Bryce Armstrong's understudy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
To be quite honest, I don't really see anything wrong with Schemmel's King Kai's voice.

The lisp.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Crystalblade13 wrote:

But his Japanese voice IS bad, and it's the only reason pretty much that I am not gonna be watching the subbed version on CR. A grown man who is ripped as hell should NOT sound like a shriveled up old lady. I know she was the original VA, and she was fine when goku was a child, but not his adult self. It's ridiculous and I have no idea how someone could prefer it.

You don't understand the character. And I don't mean in a "he's so complicated" manner. He's actually a very simple character. But the dub misled people for a long time.

Being "simple" doesn't stop puberty. Just saying. Goku sounds like he never hit puberty and that's retarded no matter how you try to validate it.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Being "simple" doesn't stop puberty. Just saying. Goku sounds like he never hit puberty and that's retarded no matter how you try to validate it.

People can have higher voices, they don't all get deepish post-puberty.

Look at Mike Tyson. You could try to make fun of his voice, but he'd break someone's face.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Goku was nearly a teen at the beginning of Dragon Ball. He was at least twice the age Gohan was when Nozawa started voicing him (he's four at the beginning of DBZ). He always sounded younger than he was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Goku was nearly a teen at the beginning of Dragon Ball. He was at least twice the age Gohan was when Nozawa started voicing him (he's four at the beginning of DBZ). He always sounded younger than he was.

And how does your point even contribute to rebutting my point? Let's go that route then, if Goku always sounded younger than he was, than why is there absolutely no change to his voice between his preteens and his 30s. That's beyond sounding younger than you actually are and dwells in to the realm of ignoring anatomical facts for just one character so that you can make a metaphorical statement about said character. To make Goku come off child like you just have to make his actions and words fit that description, not try and associate a higher pitched voice in a mans body to portray the fact that the man is child like. That is paper thin and ridiculous way to go about it.

It simple and clear that you are just fallowing blindly and having a plasibo effect to what the voice should sound like (Mangaka likes it I should like it as well) instead of using your brain and thinking how it can even make sense that a person has not hit pubety since he was about 11 to well into his 30's. On top of which, it's not even used a physical attribute in the show but it's used as a metaphor to show that he is child like? Really, do you not see how retarded that is.

Also, on your point about the mangaka stating that is the way he envisioned Goku sounding and that means he MUST sound that way and that it's the best way to make him sound. When in reality, that simply isn't true, just because he created the character doesn't make him a expert on voice acting and directing. He may have a preference but not a professorial aptitude, it's like when Hollywood actors go into signings and their fans believe that they are good because they were great at acting so they can't possible be bad at singing. That is the same thing I'm seeing here. A Mangaka make a great character and story. You love it and praise him for it. Then states his opinion on the matter of how the character he envisioned should sound and you don't ever stop to think maybe he doesn't have the professional aptitude to make a good choice since this is his creation and he must be right. However, his creation and reality don't always sync up and this is a classic example of where a person with authority but no professional aptitude goes into a field and makes highly specific and important decisions based on his feeling and it fails.

Manga and anime are too vastly different medians. Just because you excel at one doesn't grantee your success in the other. There are things that a animator/directer can do better and make better choices in then the original creator of the story to better fit the median of anime. However, you just want to stay blind to the possibility that Goku's voice was a non-expert decision made by a person you respect, thus you try to validate their choice instead of admitting that they may have not been qualified to make a proper choice.

Now this doesn't mean that you can't like it, however, it also doesn't mean it makes sense and is the best choice possible, heck as it's been pointed out already, most English speaking fans prefer Goku's voice in English to his Japanese counter part. You tell yourself what ever you have too, but that is a true you can't deny (not that you won't try).

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
if Goku always sounded younger than he was, than why is there absolutely no change to his voice between his preteens and his 30s

Nozawa's adult Goku sounds older than her child Goku. It's a natural evolution of that voice.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
if Goku always sounded younger than he was, than why is there absolutely no change to his voice between his preteens and his 30s

Nozawa's adult Goku sounds older than her child Goku. It's a natural evolution of that voice.

Not to anatomically correct levels it isn't so no it isn't "natural evolution of that voice" but rather a "unnatural evolution (if there is even any) of that voice). You have variations to voice tone throughout the day depending on what you were doing. Point is there isn't a change to Goku's voice between this preteen self and adult self that makes anatomical sense. An act only present in Goku as the other characters seem to actually age in their voice.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Not to anatomically correct levels it isn't so no it isn't "natural evolution of that voice" but rather a "unnatural evolution (if there is even any) of that voice). You have variations to voice tone throughout the day depending on what you were doing. Point is there isn't a change to Goku's voice between this preteen self and adult self that makes anatomical sense. An act only present in Goku as the other characters seem to actually age in their voice.

FFS, there are many beefy people with higher than average voices. What matters with Goku is not his physicality, but his personality. And there's nobody who delivers his lines with as much charm and personality as Nozawa.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about subs so I'll just wait until the Funimation dub of Super comes out. Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has gotten what it would be a Holy Grail for Funi to license. Congrats.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
most English speaking fans prefer Goku's voice in English to his Japanese counter part.

No, most AMERICAN Englsih speaking fans prefer Goku's voice in English. Nobody I know preffers the English voice.
peno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
@Rinkwolf Toriyama did not choose Nozawa to voice Goku, he simply approved her after she was chosen to voice adult Goku through auditioning, which, I am sure, included director, producer(s) and I expect other anime professionals who worked on Dragon Ball back then. So please stop insulting Toriyama-sensei, thank you very much.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
getting back on topic of the streaming services

Daisuki is also streaming to the UK

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7