• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Good selection of shows that are being reviewed this summer. The ones I really want made it, so I'm pleased (Rokka and Snow White).

As for the Classic Reviews, I don't want this to start becoming "review the most popular shows that show up on recommendation lists," such as Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Death Note, etc. They've been reviewed to death everywhere, even in columns and disc releases on this site. I'd also hope to avoid overlap with the monthly ANNCast series-focused show (i.e. Trigun, Escaflowne, Arjuna, FMA), although I imagine you guys have already considered that.

I'd rather see classic streaming reviews for series that don't get as much attention, such as Dennou Coil or FLAG. Maybe Akagi or Kaiji. EDIT: Just saw your post, Zac. Dennou Coil is at least available in AU though I can understand if it doesn't get picked up for that reason and because it's 2 cours. FLAG has one DVD that's really expensive. Akagi/Kaiji are streaming on Crunchyroll now.

Also, I'd appreciate seeing series that lend themselves to in-depth reviews, such as Mawaru Penguindrum or Mushishi. Frankly, I'm very particular to Tony's episode reviews of Mushishi in its respective anime discussion thread.

I think Paranoia Agent is a great one to start off with, because it has a great balance of both. I'm looking forward to reading it.

In terms of my own personal preference, I'd love to see either an ANNCast or classic review of Princess Tutu at some point.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to what comes in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
^ Oh please, Kaiji (and Akagi too for that matter) no, poor reviewers Laughing . I love that show a lot, but it's clearly one you can only enjoy seeing it in a road, because it's the slowest slow show ever made, seeing episodically is pointless because not only you won't have a lot to talk about (deadly game/strategies series with simple yet very effective and bombastic human nature elements), but also it will be annoying to wait one week to advance only two steps in the development; as overall review cool, but not episodic. In fact, if there is a new anime season I will just wait until it's over to see it, many friends who watched the last season weekly couldn't make it without reading the manga. And by the same reason I don't think Baccano is a good show to recommend either.

I agree though about taking shows that are not your typical Evangelion / Madoka / Cowboy Bebop, that's why I tried to take other options.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Just doin' my math over here.

Going to be watching weekly for sure:
Monster Musume
My Love Story!!
Rokka
Tribe Cool Crew
Snow White with the Red Hair
Gangsta
Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace
Arslan

Shows I'm constantly on the verge of dropping:
Food Wars!
Durarara

Giving it a three-episode tryout:
Aoharu x Machinegun
Charlotte
Ushio n Tora

To try and catch up on past seasons if I have time:
Hetalia
Gatchaman

So that's.....15 shows if I go with everything, wow! I feel like this is a weaker season, but that's still a lot of shows. Of course, I'm still waiting for my Blood Blockade Battlefront Finale too. Most of these air on the weekend also...my weekends are going to be ANIMOOO ALL DAY. Haha.
I'm loooking forward to the next episode of Snow White and Rokka the most. Very Happy
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

They did an ANNcast on Haibane not to long ago, so maybe not that one? The other three I left on seem like strong ideas, and maybe I'd even watch Noir along with them since I've never seen it. Crest of the Stars was something I was thinking of earlier, it's a good Sunrise title, a sci-fi that's about as close as you get to Legend of the Galactic Heroes (even though it focuses on a ridiculously small part of one conflict and not a larger overview), and it's probably been about as forgotten as Betterman or Infinite Ryvius by now compared to the likes of Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, or Bebop.

You're right, they did cover Haibane. Somehow that ANNcast slipped past me. Oh well, gives me something to listen to later. I own Noir (as ADV singles - it's been a while), and it's a show that I think is well-suited to a weekly watch format, especially the more episodic first half. I've always enjoyed it much more watching one or two episodes at a time rather than trying to marathon it.

And I haven't actually seen Crest of the Stars. It's one of those shows that's been on my list for ages, so I suggested it because I know that weekly reviews would give me the incentive to finally pick up and watch it. If it's that good, though, then maybe it's time to move it up the priority list.

Animegomaniac wrote:
By the way, the ultimate episode to episode show to review would be My Hime as it takes a genre shift every three episodes. That one really needs a little rescuing- even if Funimation already rescued it. In 2013.

I don't think Mai-Hime shifts genres as much as it shifts in tone, from an action/magical girl hybrid to a much darker action/magical girl hybrid. It wouldn't be a bad show to review, though; I haven't seen it in probably 7 or 8 years, but I remember a lot of material (both good and bad) that a reviewer could sink their teeth into.

Now if you want genre shifting, Excel Saga makes a running gag out of changing genres every single episode, even going so far as to include segments where the mangaka gives his "permission" for each switch.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Since the shows you are aiming to cover in DSR-C are, well, already done, what is the possibility of making shows under the Classic section truly daily?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Since the shows you are aiming to cover in DSR-C are, well, already done, what is the possibility of making shows under the Classic section truly daily?

Zero. We don't have the time or resources for that.

One thing that's important to know: right now Daily Streaming exists inside a very rigid structure of how many writers we can have and how many shows we can reasonably cover. I have to work within those parameters; we can't really expand it beyond what you're seeing right now (not yet, anyway). So far it's been a big success, but we're still seeing what works and what doesn't.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna miss the Rinne's reviews.

Still, I hope Chapman or somebody else will review Blood Blockade Battlefront's finale when it finally airs
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
Lol. I'm surprised the show got voted in, considering the roasting it got.

Even though people have thought very poorly of Chaos Dragon, it was still only the first episode. Maybe we should give it another chance before completely shooting it with every type of rifle known to man first.

Glad to see God Eater and Overlord made it in at least.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

As for classic: We're aware it's awkward that the show is OOP for NA, but it can be had from the UK on DVD, and used copies are out there.

This is how I finally saw it last year. Even if you don't currently have a region free player, the cost of the UK set bought new plus a region free player is a fraction of the asking price of one used volume of the US DVD. And there's a ton of other stuff that's only obtainable/affordable in R2 right now, like Garden of Sinners and the Haruhi movie.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
As for the Classic Reviews, I don't want this to start becoming "review the most popular shows that show up on recommendation lists," such as Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Death Note, etc. They've been reviewed to death everywhere, even in columns and disc releases on this site. I'd also hope to avoid overlap with the monthly ANNCast series-focused show (i.e. Trigun, Escaflowne, Arjuna, FMA), although I imagine you guys have already considered that.

I'd rather see classic streaming reviews for series that don't get as much attention, such as Dennou Coil or FLAG. Maybe Akagi or Kaiji.

I agree. While I understand the appeal of someone checking out a beloved series that he/she never saw before, I think there's also an appeal in reading someone's thoughts on something that most people never talked about in the first. The idea of someone going "treasure hunting", so to speak, sounds cool. If this "classics" idea works out, then it would be great if it was a mix of covering the obvious picks & trying out titles that were mostly ignored originally.

Still, I am looking forward to Nick's Paranoia Agent reviews. I saw that show for the first time ever in 2013 & it was definitely a trip.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Hope Chapman will drop Chaos Dragon after episode 3 or 4. Calling it now.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Lack of Himouto is disappointing but getting NNB S2 is a good consolation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
covering the obvious picks & trying out titles that were mostly ignored originally.

So, just to be completely upfront here, while we aren't necessarily interested in covering the super obvious stuff - EVA, Madoka, Bebop etc - going super obscure isn't something we're interested in doing either.

The issue with that stuff is that if you go too obscure, you're not going to draw much of an audience, and if the articles don't draw an audience at all, we can't keep doing them. Maybe once we put subscriber bonuses into place, people can 'request' super obscure stuff for daily streaming once they're literally subsidizing it themselves, but in the meantime, we want to stick to stuff people know about and have heard of but maybe not the MOST popular stuff from the last 20 years.

About a decade's worth of traffic on various columns and features that talk about really obscure old anime have told me what to expect from editorial about that stuff, and doing a series of 13-26 articles on one show nobody's ever heard of is absolutely going to be a loser, traffic-wise. It isn't that traffic is the only thing we care about - not by a longshot - but we can't completely disregard it when we're deciding what to cover. 26 articles on B't X is just going to be a money sink with very low audience interest or participation.

Paranoia Agent strikes the perfect balance to me. In my mind, something like Fruits Basket or one of the original Slayers series or Kino's Journey would be great for this.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
In my mind, something like Fruits Basket or one of the original Slayers series or Kino's Journey would be great for this.

I hadn't thought about Kino's Journey, but that'd be great, too. I'd also throw in another vote for Crest (and Banner) of the Stars.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how great Slayers would be; I dunno how interesting episodic reviews would be given how many Slayers episodes are just pure fluff. It's been a long time since I've seen it, though, so maybe it'd be better than I'm remembering...

Thinking of Slayers, though, Bastard!! and Gokudo-kun Manyuuki also come to mind.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Thinking of Slayers, though, Bastard!! and Gokudo-kun Manyuuki also come to mind.

That brings back some memories. Bastard is one of the first anime I ever watched, back in 1998. It's only six episodes, though, so it might be too short.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7