• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Gangsta, More Hetalia, 11 More New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Holy crap, Snow White with the Red Hair is getting a summer anime? I just finished reading the manga and it's wonderful, fully fleshed characters and an incredibly mature relationship between the heroine and hero. I can't wait!

How would you compare this to Yona?

Quote:
I used to hate Funi's streaming but have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of it this year since I got my membership. I watch on a large screen HD TV streamed from a Google TV box and it looks great and we never have issues.

Still not a huge fan of the Funi streaming service, but I think a lot of the problems are rather nitpicky. The biggest issue that I have these days is that their is always a ton of pixelating and tearing at the beginning of episodes when watching in HD. But that only lasts for 5 seconds or so, so it's not a huge deal.

TheAncientOne wrote:
It appears that one of Funimation's two remaining simulcasts will be Chaos Dragon, as they had a page for it up earlier today (although they pulled it shortly after it was made known in their forum they had a page up for something that hadn't been announced).

I would have preferred for it to end up on CR, but I'm just glad someone got it. And if it is a Funi show home video rights are pretty much a done deal as well.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Holy crap, Snow White with the Red Hair is getting a summer anime? I just finished reading the manga and it's wonderful, fully fleshed characters and an incredibly mature relationship between the heroine and hero. I can't wait!

How would you compare this to Yona?

I really love Yona too.

They're both journeys of discovery for young women who come from aristocratic families, though Yona is torn from hers and Snow White (I hope they use her Japanese name) leaves hers more willingly. But whereas the relationships in Yona are more family with her romance as a tease, Shiroyuki's relationship with the hero starts early and is strong and important to both of them, and they both support each other in their work to grow into their desires for each other and their kingdoms, families and friends. There's politics, but not to the extent that there is in Yona. And there are more happy times in Snow White than in Yona.

There are, of course, harems of beautiful men around both, and they are three dimensional characters. But Snow White also has a fair share of female characters who are good fighters, intelligent, and good friends.

So basically, if you love Yona I think you'll like this. Assuming they don't ruin the story with the anime...

relyat08 wrote:
Still not a huge fan of the Funi streaming service, but I think a lot of the problems are rather nitpicky. The biggest issue that I have these days is that their is always a ton of pixelating and tearing at the beginning of episodes when watching in HD. But that only lasts for 5 seconds or so, so it's not a huge deal.

I haven't seen the pixelating that everyone else is talking about, but then our internet and internal network in the house are both very fast so we rarely have trouble streaming anything, except sometimes CR's app since it wasn't made for Google TV.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
^Thank You very much^ Very Happy
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Sam Murai wrote:
These large streaming pick-ups tend to be cyclical, just too bad it had to happen this season…

I don't know why you get the impression this is a cyclical thing. Funimation has gradually been increasing their number of new simulcasts since the beginning of last year.

The number has literally been increasing each season since then, with no backtracks thus far.

"Cyclical" in the strict sense that every other season or so, either FUNimation or Crunchyroll gets a hold of a bunch of anime for it. This summer, FUNimation has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

Sam Murai wrote:
These large streaming pick-ups tend to be cyclical, just too bad it had to happen this season…

The number has literally been increasing each season since then, with no backtracks thus far.

"Cyclical" in the strict sense that every other season or so, either FUNimation or Crunchyroll gets a hold of a bunch of anime for it. This summer, FUNimation has.

TheAncientOne is correct. There's nothing the least bit cyclical about this. For the last five years or so almost every anime available had been streamed, most by Crunchyroll with a few select titles by Funimation. In the past year Funimation has started growing their share of them. The percent of titles shown has been near constant, and Funi's percent share has been on a steady upward trend. There has been no cyclic data.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

TheAncientOne is correct. There's nothing the least bit cyclical about this. For the last five years or so almost every anime available had been streamed, most by Crunchyroll with a few select titles by Funimation. In the past year Funimation has started growing their share of them. The percent of titles shown has been near constant, and Funi's percent share has been on a steady upward trend. There has been no cyclic data.

I think you two are overstating what I said. I'm not talking about or getting into percent shares or upward trends. All I said was every other season, you might see FUNimation get the lion's share (like this upcoming one), maybe another season, you might see Crunchyroll get it. That's it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
sunflower wrote:

I think you two are overstating what I said. I'm not talking about or getting into percent shares or upward trends. All I said was every other season, you might see FUNimation get the lion's share (like this upcoming one), maybe another season, you might see Crunchyroll get it. That's it.

But that's really not true. This is the first season where Funi has had the lion's share, ever.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

But that's really not true. This is the first season where Funi has had the lion's share, ever.

"Lion's share" normally denotes quantity. With 15 new simulcasts, it isn't realistic for Funimation to have the "lion's share" of new simulcasts. (Total simulcasts is not even in question). It would require over 1/3 of this season's series to have no simulcast.

Also, Funimation had more new simulcasts than CR in the past. I suggest you count the number each had in summer 2010.

If by "lion's share" you were referring instead to the quantity of what you consider the best titles, continue to my next response:

Sam Murai wrote:

If you are talking about the greatest number of what you consider the best titles, keep in mind that you are likely to find others who disagree with you. I've seen messages from people on both sides; some thinking Funimation really owned the game, and others only seeing a couple of titles there of interest.

You are also talking about a deal that isn't done, as while Funimation has announced almost all of their 15 new titles, CR probably hasn't announced a third of theirs. (I expect their slate will wrap with around 25 new simulcasts).

Question: Have you actually looked at the 23 remaining titles (I'm counting Chaos Dragon as claimed), and already deemed them unworthy of tipping the balance?
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:

If Crunchyroll has simulcast rights it implies either Sentai Filmworks has the home video rights license or Crunchyroll itself does...

If you don't care about dubs, fine but a lot of fans do and it's not guaranteed to have one from those companies unless very popular and even if it does get a dub, it may not end up with a well done dub (FUNimation dubs aren't perfect either but their track record is a lot more successful)

You think I don't care about my dubs? I would rather Sentai or New York do them. Wider range of different sounding female actresses, faithful scripts with a tiny piece of liberal change and overall more enjoyable experience with even newcoming Houston Actors.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
sunflower wrote:

"Lion's share" normally denotes quantity. With 15 new simulcasts, it isn't realistic for Funimation to have the "lion's share" of new simulcasts. (Total simulcasts is not even in question). It would require over 1/3 of this season's series to have no simulcast.

Also, Funimation had more new simulcasts than CR in the past. I suggest you count the number each had in summer 2010.

Sheesh, I was trying to support you.... The lion's share denotes majority of simulcasts. They just announced 13 more anime. How many has CR announced again? Oh, right. Fewer. Yeah, well you keep on arguing.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

Sheesh, I was trying to support you.... The lion's share denotes majority of simulcasts. They just announced 13 more anime. How many has CR announced again? Oh, right. Fewer. Yeah, well you keep on arguing.

While I appreciate the support, it doesn't change the facts.

Despite you apparently meaning "at the moment", your statement about it being the first time still wouldn't be true. Funimation has gotten more announcements out faster than CR in the past, it simply hasn't been as dramatic. They tend to announce series only first, and simulcast times near the premier. They also don't have to worry about announcing regions like CR, which allows them to be much quicker on the draw.

It is also a very temporary condition. A week ago, the same claim could have been made for CR. In the end, only the final tally matters, not who is a ahead on lap 20 of a 50 lap race.

Even this early, CR is ahead in total simulcasts, as they have as many continuing simulcasts (18) as Funimation has announced simulcasts.

Similar to what I stated elsewhere, I congratulate Funimation on their strategy. Announcing so many simulcasts in one swoop has had the desired effect of convincing many people they have already "won" the season.

Last edited by TheAncientOne on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
I don't consider Funi grabbing so many titles this season to be an accomplishment since their track record for getting them started on time is so poor. So far this season they are 0/1 in getting out titles on their premier dates, and they now apparently have all four of the titles scheduled to debut on Thursday. I'm not holding my breath that any of them will actually show up on Thursday.

While CR doesn't always hit the mark, either, they are vastly more reliable. They almost always announce specific debut times, too.

So yeah, until Funi's reliability is in a league with CR's (and until they get a properly-functioning app for smart TVs), I won't look at a heavy load of Funi claims with anything less than trepidation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
All I can get out of this news is an annoyed grunt, that grows in annoyance the more shows I want to watch Funi takes. And that's because Funi buys exclusive rights for the entire American continent but only streams in the US and Canada, so Latin America gets screwed due to Funi's greed. I probably bitch about it every season, but every season the ratio of shows I want to watch that goes to Funi seems to be increasing. Out of 13 shows I wanted to watch this season, Funi has already stolen 7, and three of those were amongst my most anticipated ones. I'm so sick of Funi's license-hogging bullshit
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

So yeah, until Funi's reliability is in a league with CR's (and until they get a properly-functioning app for smart TVs), I won't look at a heavy load of Funi claims with anything less than trepidation.

I have to wonder if Funimation will venture into smart TV apps. They are still behind CR on the number of platforms they are deployed to, and CR is dropping support for their smart TV apps on July 15 (along with Google TV and OUYA).

My guess is that despite the number of smart TVs out there, not a lot of them are actually utilized for streaming, especially for non-default apps like CR. With that, I doubt Funimation would venture onto platforms where CR didn't see enough return to continue development and support.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I had not heard that, TheAncientOne, and that's really annoying to hear. The bulk of the reason that I forked out the extra money for the smart TV that I got last fall was so that I could watch streaming anime shows on my TV without needing extra equipment to do so. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7