• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big Hero 6, 'Feast' Win Animated Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

18 months; that's why we're getting 2 this year.
Hey, if even Studio Ghibli out of all studios would release 2 in a year...............

Good Dinosaur had to be pushed back because the director was replaced, but accdg. to IMDB, they're looking at Christmas after all.
Granted, IMDB's lists aren't updated (they still list three Dreamworks movies that will never see the light of day).

And yes, even when BH6 came out, Feast was agreed to be pretty weak, and Dam Keepers was the favorite, but again, just too much reputation for the short that was actually shown in NA theaters.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I watched the show last night and when Bih Hero 6 won I said to myself "heh, will be fun looking over the comments tomorrow" -- I completely stopped being invested in the awards, I just watch it for the show and the pretty stage
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I think you missed the point entirely(unless your post is sarcasm). What this shows is that the only times Disney/Pixar lost were because the movies they had nominated were utter garbage or they didn't even have anything nominated.

Also, Kaguya has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and Lego a 96%, so if you are trying to justify BH6 winning based on it's Rotten Tomatoes score, you are losing that argument too.

Lastly, in my opinion, the only reason films like Kaguya and Song Of the Sea get nominated at all is to provide the facade of competition. There aren't a ton of animated films coming out each year anyway, so being nominated, in and of itself, is kind of insignificant.

Edited to remove overquoting. --willag

People on this board kept saying that BH6 had mediocre reviews, so I decided to point out the Tomatometer. If 90% is mediocre, then some people have high standards.

I just get annoyed how every Oscar night, we have to hear Ghibli fans bitching and moaning because their favorite didn't win.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeKing: I think they mean mediocre reviews from moviegoers, which is true. Also, it's anime fans who have a bone to pick, since Ghibli does pretty well for itself most of the time in that category.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
ss-about-animation-109456.html]Cartoon Brew[/url].
Oh and Hollywood Reporter Scott Feinberg interviewed these Academy voters. However, it was a limited sample so we can't determine whether its "a lot of people" or an "outlier opinion" as you put it. Its still a disappointing read even from these few voters.

I really wouldn't make too much hay out of those Hollywood Reporter interviews. Yeah, that one "Chinese Cartoon" voter really shouldn't have voted in the category, but the overall picture was that, out of the sample of seven:

One made an uninformed decision
Two hadn't seen the nominees and abstained
Four saw all the nominees but decided to vote for one of the two big American studio CGI films on the ballot anyway, which is perfectly fine as long as they at least saw the foreign animated films.

While you can't really make any broad statements from such a small sample, 80% of the sample that voted in the Animated Feature category made legitimate, informed votes and I suspect for any award that doesn't lock people in a room to ensure they watch everything, that's a believable percentage of voters that cast honest ballots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
doctor:
Quote:
LEGO Movie definitely got snubbed. Even if it was designed to sell toys (but hey, Toy Story 1-3 weren't?),

The thing about the Toy Stories is they're supposed to be about more than just the toys.

And so is the LEGO Movie, as I made very clear in my original post.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Also, Kaguya has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and Lego a 96%, so if you are trying to justify BH6 winning based on it's Rotten Tomatoes score, you are losing that argument too.

I just get annoyed how every Oscar night, we have to hear Ghibli fans bitching and moaning because their favorite didn't win.

Ghibli films get plenty of recognition(often more than they deserve, in my opinion). This is an ongoing problem about anime films as a whole not being recognized, or appreciated. And this was the first time where my favorite animated film of the year actually was a Ghibli film.
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Film critic Leonard Maltin spoke of the conflicted nature of the Best Animated film category in a recent episode of the Pop My Culture podcast. When asked he didn't know why the Lego Movie was snubbed but he brought up the matter of Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea getting nominated despite being obscure foreign films. They represent what the Animators of the Academy see as being part of a tradition that should be recognized by the general public as still being relevant. Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea are also not the same sort of film as Dragon and BH6 and that's where the conflict of interest arises.

He also spoke about how Academy members in charge of various categories the general public don't care about have to fight to keep them on the major telecast. You can draw the conclusion that Animators know the category won't get many votes if they only nominate limited released foreign films so they have to pick large commercial works that most Oscar voters took their children to.

The Hollywood Reporter might be a small sampling but I have heard how Animators continue to try and get the rest of the Academy invested in Animation on a more serious level. The president of the Academy's recent statement that Animation is a Genre means they have a long road ahead of them.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Why should film makers need a trophy to prove that they made a good movie? Shouldn't the fact that the movie is good be enough? If the academy doesn't care, that's their problem. It's not like Ghibli was trying to create a franchise. They just wanted to tell a good story, and they did.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Why should film makers need a trophy to prove that they made a good movie? Shouldn't the fact that the movie is good be enough? If the academy doesn't care, that's their problem. It's not like Ghibli was trying to create a franchise. They just wanted to tell a good story, and they did.

It's about the publicity. It's marketing. If Kaguya or Song Of The Sea received the award it would bring them much greater attention/exposure and financial success. That, in and of itself, is more than enough of a reason to care.

However, due to it being centered around marketing so much, the larger, more commercial films will almost always win.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I am glad someone else pointed out that Big Hero 6 hardly got mediocre reviews.

Personally I thought it was great film. Although I was personally rooting for Kaguya because I want Takahata (not Ghibli) to get more recognition this is absolutely not a horrible win. I also would have been fine with HTTYD winning which I also highly enjoyed.

Still need ato see Song of the Sea.

No the only nominated film that Actually did get mediocre reviews was Box Trolls.

I was disappointed in Feast winning. Not because it's Disney but as an animal lover a short where a dog is fed so much horrible food for him is not heart warming at all but a bit disturbing to me.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Lol, Rotten Tomatoes is as good as their name, real rotten reviews. Ugh.

HTYD 2 is a much acceptable win. Entertaining, yes, effects, yes, story, okay, overall....much ACCEPTABLE.

bleh, Pixar/ Disney lost it. Where'd their imagination go?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Can we just rename the best animated feature award to the Disney toy commercial award? I'd be more fitting.

Then that wouldn't be fair to Shrek.

Stuart Smith wrote:
I thought calling anime "Chinese cartoons" was a meme joke, but apparently a lot of people are that ignorant about it. Very disappointing. I also notice most voters don't watch animated movies unless they're with their kids, so it seems they have little love for the medium itself.

-Stuart Smith

To a lot of people in Hollywood, anime is still an enemy to them and thus something they actively try to not think about. Ghibli can get respect due to John Lasseter acting as an in to some venues, but for those who still believe in the Animation Age Ghetto, all one can do is wait for this generation to retire and get people into the film business who grew up on anime and manga.

Technically, we HAVE reached that point, with people who understand anime and what makes it work (as can be seen with Avatar: The Last Airbender and Gravity Falls), but because of the Animation Age Ghetto, they're not taken seriously.

I personally know some Oscar voters, so I can say what I say with confidence.

enurtsol wrote:
Anyhow, Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel seem to be the big Oscars 2015 winners.

Birdman came out of nowhere for me, but when The Grand Budapest Hotel first came out, it had "Oscar bait" written all over it. (Oscar bait movies can be good though. I've liked every Best Picture winner I've ever seen.)

CrowLia wrote:
I liked Big Hero 6, but HTTYD2 was a lot better, had better developed characters and was a lot more innovative as far as animation goes. I haven't watched Kaguya, but I wanted it to win just as a closure for Studio Ghibli movies (I don't expect Marnie to get any sort of attention whatsoever), but I guess that was too much to ask. I'm usually not bothered by the Disney monster machine, but it's just a sad thing that something like cartoon movies has become such a ridiculously political thing.

Everything becomes ridiculously political when it becomes old enough and big enough to be mainstream. Heck, I've been in some hobby circles whose manufacturers, producers, and awards became just as ridiculously political without it being mainstream.

Fedora-san wrote:
But I find it silly to vote if you don't even care about the subject matter. It'd be like me being a voter on best football team of the year and picking a team and going "Well, I like their colors.... so I voted on that" Do they get paid or something or is it like jury duty and it's mandatory?

They don't have to vote on every category, but again, this is politics. An Oscar voter may look bad to his or her peers if he or she doesn't vote in certain categories, especially if this voter has connections to people in that sector. The most damning thing you can do to your image to your fellow industrypeople is to look indifferent.

classicalzawa wrote:
And they lost with Cars, considered one of Pixar's weakest films (well, except for sequels).

Cars 2 definitely, but I've never met anyone who thinks Toy Story 2 or Toy Story 3 to be some of Pixar's weaker output.

EricJ2 wrote:
Ah yes, remember back in '01 when we all thought the first Shrek movie was some sort of "statement" against Eisner Disney? Razz
It's like looking through old prom photos, isn't it?

To be fair, Jeffrey Katzenberg was pretty public about creating Dreamworks SKG solely as revenge against Disney. Antz was created mainly to spite a bug's life, for instance (and was used directly as an ultimatum against Lasseter), and I think it's no coincidence that a bug's life is Pixar's weakest ever film at the box office (though Ratatouille earned less, taking inflation into account).

He's mellowed out considerably since though.

The real loser in the Shrek franchise was William Steig, who died in obscurity.
Wolfgirl90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
I actually expected The Tale of Princess Kaguya to win, but I wanted Big Hero 6 to win and I am really happy it did.

I might get some flak for this, but I am really glad How to Train Your Dragon 2 didn't win it. While I loved the animation and the story (saw it in 3D and it was absolutely beautiful), there is one thing that bothered me throughout the movie and this one thing almost made me walk out of the movie: how the movie treated Ruffnut.

The guys constantly hitting on her was nauseating. I would excuse them for being kids, but they are not kids anymore; by most cultural standards, they are adults (e.g. Astrid, Hiccup, and Snotlout are all freaking 20). It was funny at first, but when every interaction with her boiled down to "I wanna hump you", I got a little sick of it. Then Ruffnut started doing it herself towards Eret and I swear that if it weren't for the big dragon battle at the end, I would have walked out. A joke gets mighty stale when you say it over and over and over again. And the development of these characters suffers because of it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I am glad someone else pointed out that Big Hero 6 hardly got mediocre reviews.

It's sort of hard to explain just how mediocre BH6 is compared to what it could have been:
Basically, imagine selling the plot of the first Iron Man movie as "Tony comes home from a bad experience in the war, comes back to his rich lab where he teams up with his funny talking computer Jarvis, learns to be a better person, get together with his girlfriend, and to give up making weapons...And together, Tony & Jarvis build something to help stop his villainous partner who wants to keep making weapons."

Well, yes, technically, that did all happen in the story, but there was a little more artistic complexity in the original source material... Confused

leafy sea dragon wrote:
To be fair, Jeffrey Katzenberg was pretty public about creating Dreamworks SKG solely as revenge against Disney. Antz was created mainly to spite a bug's life, for instance (and was used directly as an ultimatum against Lasseter), and I think it's no coincidence that a bug's life is Pixar's weakest ever film at the box office (though Ratatouille earned less, taking inflation into account)..

Wait, I thought Spielberg created Dreamworks, because Katz was going around bragging up Lion King as his idea, and Spielberg wanted to buy one of his very, very own. (He'd already beaten the Don Bluth imitations into the ground after Secret of NIMH, but those weren't working out.)
Only he wanted his Lion King to be a really, really Jewish one, which is how we got Prince of Egypt for their first film.

And '98's A Bug's Life fell right smack in between our discovery of "Hey, they can do that!" in '95's Toy Story, and "Oh, you cried at Jessie's song, too!" in '99's Toy Story 2. Nobody seemed to remember there was a film in between the two Stories, and most people didn't recognize the studio's existence until after the second one.
(And it wasn't until the mania over Nemo that most people caught on that Pixar and DWA were actually different studios.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7