• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubs or Subtitles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex K.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Fenrir wrote:
I haven't been able to sit through a dubbed anime since without finding the voices annoying.

Wow, you must hate your own voice then. Wink You guys make it sound like all dubs are cartoony like the terrible One Piece dub. You do realize that many anime series that get dubbed are serious in tone, right? Those series' characters have normal sounding voices. I'm not saying you have to like them, but to say that Steve Blum's Spike Spiegel sounds annoying is a bit harsh. I mean, look at all the Japanese voices that are nasally and extremely high-pitched? Now THAT'S annoying. But wait, it's Japanese, so of course it's going to be better. Rolling Eyes
Fenrir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
It's the english that I actually find annoying. Don't ask me why english voices with anime characters just now sound wrong to me I'm not saying the va's are bad I just can't sit through anything dubbed anymore. I just find anime characters speaking english to be extremely weird and annoying.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not saying you have to like them, but to say that Steve Blum's Spike Spiegel sounds annoying is a bit harsh.

Not all dubs are Blum's Spike Spiegel. Hell, not even all of Blum's roles are his Spike Spiegel (just most of them). The excelent performance is considerably less common than the "annoyingly bad" performance, at least when it comes to what ends up on tv. That doesn't mean they're all bad, just that they're more bad than good, or at the very least there are enough bad out there to overshadow the good.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
Way back when (7-8 years ago, mind you), I used to loathe getting subtitled anime. I used to always get the dub 90% of the time, unless a dub wasn't available.
After exposure to many many fansubs, I grew accustomed to subs and actually began to prefer them over dub. I honestly don't mind either, but the bad part about subs is that it requires 100% of your attention, or you miss out on what's going on.
Dubs are great for when I'm distracted by things like food, videogames, or girls on the interweb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6