• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Women in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
wow some interesting ideas blossomed without me around to piss everyone off!
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
The vast majority of Japanese girls are perfectly content with the way their society treats them.

Perhaps, but then there are shows ranging from Angelic Layer to Moribito which tell Japanese girls that they should be independent and strong-willed. I, for one, have always been impressed with the number of anime stories that provide independent role models for girls and young women. Of course, manga and anime creators probably inhabit a less rigidly-structured world than most Japanese citizens, and they probably lean a bit toward the left as well.

Still when those strong-willed young women enter the workforce they encounter the discrimination that confronts Hiroko and her colleagues in Hataraki Man. Sadly those characters don't seem all that happy with their position in life. CLAMP in particular always seemed to me to have an agenda, though reading the Chobits manga I'm left wondering what that agenda might be.

(Is there any way we could have the Edit and Quote buttons reversed? This is probably the fourth or fifth time that I've had to delete a post because I accidentally hit the Quote button when I meant to hit Edit. Since I'm the author I'm much more likely to be interested in editing my post than I am in quoting myself.)
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quote
What about the angle of being strong willed and independant and STILL going with the flow of society when it suits you? I know that's the way I conduct my life. After all there is no need to rebel when it is just cutting of youre nose despite youre face. And no need to make "statements" at complete strangers who don't care. Making trouble for everyone around you to conform to some kind of total idealism is just bein obnoxious imho.

Not that I am a total conservative. But I think if japanese women where being THAT badly treated they would take matters into their own hands. This isn't the middle ages and they have many cultures to compare their lifestyles with. Until very recent history japan and to a lesser extent china lived in a bubble. But what with the internet and everything that sort of thing will not happen again without resistance methinks.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I have loads of Japanese friends, none of them walks three steps behind their man. A lot of them actually work in big companies and what a surprise, noone harrasses them on their way to work.
Your location is listed as the U.K. The culture facing women in Great Britain is vastly different from what women face in Japan.

WAY different.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I have loads of Japanese friends, none of them walks three steps behind their man. A lot of them actually work in big companies and what a surprise, noone harrasses them on their way to work.
Your location is listed as the U.K. The culture facing women in Great Britain is vastly different from what women face in Japan.

WAY different.

Thanks for saving me, Captain Obvious! Otherwise I would not have known. All the travelling and studying I did taught me nothing about the world, I probably should go back and watch some reality TV to teach me about what is really going on out there...

To be clear, the fact that my location is listed as UK does not mean that my Japanese friends were born there, or even that I met them there, you also somehow assume I have not been to Japan or that I have not studied its culture- did you see that in a crystal ball? In fact it does not even mean I am there at the moment.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
@ Nbahn

If we accept youre logic the fact that you're location is listed as Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Makes you one of the millions of Americans who have never left America and has a monkeys grasp of geography. And no knowledge of outside cultures. See? It's insulting. People have to be taken on an infividual basis lol you can't just make snap judgements based on someones "location" tag Anime hyper. Tbh that kinda smecks of low grade racism.

Last edited by RHachicho on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RHachicho"]
Quote:
sexual violence/harassment against women in the USA is much
more frequent/severe, as compared to in Japan. The number of
reported rapes (per 100,000 women, 1987-89) is 118 in the USA
and 5 in Japan ("Human Development Report 1994" by
U.N._Development Programme).

Interesting thread. I took issue with using the above statistic, because it doesn't really prove anything. It doesn't take into account that Americans are more likely to speak out about such things, while Japanese are more likely to keep quiet to avoid the "shame". Perhaps it's due to more people being taken seriously here and rapists actually getting convicted, I don't know. But really there's actually no way to accurately measure sex crimes as even in this country, a lot of women are shamed by them. (i.e. the idea of woman was "asking for it" etc.) and don't report them.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
@ Nbahn

If we accept youre logic the fact that you're location is listed as Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Makes you one of the millions of Americans who have never left America and has a monkeys grasp of geography. And no knowledge of outside cultures. See? It's insulting. People have to be taken on an inficidual basis lol you can't just make snap judgements based on someones "location" tag Anime hyper. Tbh that kinda smecks of low grade racism.
Huh? I'm sorry for being dense, but I'm afraid that I don't follow you. May I trouble you to elaborate? Confused
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Briefly: don't make condescending assumptions about other people.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
@ PrettyKitty20034

Quite correct. However it IS an extremely large disparity I can't think that in this day and age such a massive disparity can be completely ignored because of crimes "not being reported". I totally agree that if somehow I was able to pluck the true figures out of thin air the difference would be alot smaller. I still think that it would be significant though.

@ Nbahn

Someones location tag is a poor guide to their life. Someone could be extremely well traveled or even be a student of foreign cultures. Or even just be knowledgable enough to hold an opinion on the subject. It is completely impossible to either dismiss or ratify someones opinion over where they list their location as Anime hyper. I was giving an example in that whole "American" thing as to a similar assumption I could make about you if I where to start drawing conclusions from youre location tag. Get it now ?
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Not in the same conversation, but on the topic of women and anime...
As a massive fan of Maison Ikkoku, I have to say that for myself I find Kyoko a very positive kind of anime female love object, especially when compared with housekeeper/landlady types from many more recent series I have seen. Sure, she is idealised (and she is kind of a maid!), but she's certainly not klutzy/cutesily pathetic and girlish, she's very strong-willed, and I like those jeans that emphasise her grown-up woman's figure. Very Happy
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
However it IS an extremely large disparity I can't think that in this day and age such a massive disparity can be completely ignored because of crimes "not being reported".

You'd be surprised. Americans in general tend to be a more outspoken bunch. I'd imagine that women feel a little safer reporting things here as they're more likely to be taken seriously by Judges/law enforcement etc. At least compared to more patriarchal cultures where the shame is on the woman. "In this day and age" some cultures stone women to death for being raped. Shocked
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

You'd be surprised. Americans in general tend to be a more outspoken bunch. I'd imagine that women feel a little safer reporting things here as they're more likely to be taken seriously by Judges/law enforcement etc. At least compared to more patriarchal cultures where the shame is on the woman. "In this day and age" some cultures stone women to death for being raped. Shocked

I would tend to disagree. The fact that people might seem outspoken, even in Western culture so many sex crimes are never reported, and the real number will never be known. My very own flatmate has been molested by a member of family who later on molested a few other women, and till now nothing has been made about this fact, she and the others actually refused to talk to the police about it. I have hear about so many rape/sexual harassement cases dismissed by the court that I lost count. It is still a shameful subject a lot (if not all) of women, and despite all the media campaigns, I dont thin it makes anyone more safe about reporting it. I dont believe that the fact that the society is more outspoken as such makes it easier to come out with this sort of issues, the same goes for a series of other problems unfortunately.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

I would tend to disagree. The fact that people might seem outspoken, even in Western culture so many sex crimes are never reported, and the real number will never be known. My very own flatmate has been molested by a member of family who later on molested a few other women, and till now nothing has been made about this fact, she and the others actually refused to talk to the police about it. I have hear about so many rape/sexual harassement cases dismissed by the court that I lost count. It is still a shameful subject a lot (if not all) of women, and despite all the media campaigns, I don't thin it makes anyone more safe about reporting it. I don't believe that the fact that the society is more outspoken as such makes it easier to come out with this sort of issues, the same goes for a series of other problems unfortunately.

I made that same point in my previous post. Despite being more outspoken, so many of these crimes are underreported even here.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
some cultures stone women to death for being raped.

This is an unfair allegory. Any culture that truly does this I would support womens rights to the end. And the japan of today is a far cry from this standard. And being half Arabian myself I know it is FAR less widespread than western media likes to potray it. It is more or less only done in Iran and Saudi Arabia which frankly are considered redneck by Arab standards and I would back anyone up who wanted to fight the system in those countries. There are probably a few cases in Africa. But to be fair Africa is so war torn these days that they don't seem to need a reason to be brutal they just seem to need an excuse. Whole towns are raped and murdered over there just to set examples. Any other cases are religious nutters taking the law into their own hands. Which in a war torn country where police can't be everywhere at once and are often corrupt themselves is oft to happen. What do you think would happen in the American deep south if all of a sudden the law had a hard time reaching it? For that matter just how many serial killers in America use the Bible as a reason for their crime? Murduring raping not-so-nice-people are a constant in society I am afraid and blazing an opposing cultures examples of them all over the media is a common tactic used by governments to set false images of foreign countries in peoples minds. To justify their wars. And it seems to me we are still suffering from the PR hangover we had against Japan during the second world war. If you wan't to see an example of truly horrific human behavior then no culture is exempt from these nutters. Not mine, Not yours, Not anyones. So you really can't judge en entire culture based on their "worst" cases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9