• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lapses of logic that bug me.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to resurrect this thread, just because.

In 009-1, Mylene goes up against Egg, an assassin legendary for taking down his target with one shot every time. She's his target now, and he has no reason to believe she will be any different from all the rest of his targets.

They end up on a resort island for a pitched battle, and what do you know he is carrying enough ammo to roll back an old-West stampede. Where's it all coming from if he only needs one round for each job? We are left to suppose he is buying it at the hotel gift shop maybe.

A great episode anyway, but you have to ignore that.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
Tvtropes is the answer to all these problems. As for me, I don't mind a glitch or two. If the show rocks, why should I care if a revolver shoots 7 times or if there is sound in space?

I guess I could add something here as well. Space Battleship Yamato is full of glitches. Probably every single episode has these. For example, the Wave Motion Gun is supposed to stun Yamato for a while after being shot, but later it doesn't seem to matter at all. Also, at one point they needed to stock on food and water supplies, but didn't have the heart to steal from alien natives, so they just continued their journey without food and water I guess? Not even to mention the impossible physics. Diving under the oceans of pluto and blasting your way through solar flares is always fun.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Tvtropes is the answer to all these problems. As for me, I don't mind a glitch or two. If the show rocks, why should I care if a revolver shoots 7 times or if there is sound in space?

You're right I don't think anyone cares about that but your examples are interesting.

What this thread is about (or should be) is when they make up a universe with its own system of logic -- and then violate that logic, not the logic of the real world.

The six-shooter should have been a seven-shooter. There is no path of logic in the fictional universe that should have let it fire seven rounds, unless it is a magical weapon or something.

On the other hand the sound-in-space could be simply passing infrared energy transcribed to audio. There generally is not anything in the fictional universe that would prohibit that.
Opera Floozy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
In 009-1, Mylene goes up against Egg, an assassin legendary for taking down his target with one shot every time. She's his target now, and he has no reason to believe she will be any different from all the rest of his targets.

They end up on a resort island for a pitched battle, and what do you know he is carrying enough ammo to roll back an old-West stampede. Where's it all coming from if he only needs one round for each job? We are left to suppose he is buying it at the hotel gift shop maybe.

A legendary assassin has enough sense to carry more ammunition than he needs just in case something happens. This is not outrageous. The typical fictional stereotype of carrying exactly enough for the job with no backup plan is the outrageous behavior, especially when the backup is something as cheap and easily acquired as bullets, which he will need for his future jobs anyway.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
if you're big on the space mecha anime's you may want to ignore this post.

since every mecha using the huge ass cannon type weapons forgets to have equal force being pushed from behind them (thrusters) at the time of firing the weapons. as we all know in space any action has an equal and opposite reaction for every shot the mecha would travel at exactly half the speed backwards of the projectile moving forwards energy weapon or not it would still act like a huge thruster shooting them backwards.

or how about this one:
whenever a school gets half destroyed during the night by evil forces and defeated by the good and they miraculously rebuild the school overnight (even curing the concrete in hours) the students the next day are not missing notebooks and personal items that simply couldn't be found in the rubble to know to replace them. or notice the lack of scratches and wear on things they see every day.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
since every mecha using the huge ass cannon type weapons forgets to have equal force being pushed from behind them (thrusters) at the time of firing the weapons. as we all know in space any action has an equal and opposite reaction for every shot the mecha would travel at exactly half the speed backwards of the projectile moving forwards energy weapon or not it would still act like a huge thruster shooting them backwards.

1. Weapons that fire beams of light do not necessarily have heavy/any recoil.

2. Even if they do all that requires is that the weapon itself create an equal and opposite force to cancel it out. Some kind of contrivance star trek would probably call an inertial dampener.

I mean come on I've heard of lapses in logic. But that aint it. Try lapses in imagination. You're having them now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6