• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Critical Mass II: The Seasoning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'd like to point out that the first season of Horizon adapted 1 novel (split into two parts, but its considered "volume 1".

Generally, when you read a novel, you are expected to sit down and [expletive] read it. And not get mad its not explained everything in the first 50 pages.

The first half of the first volume of Horizon was episodes 1~6 of the first anime, and if you watch those episodes, and pay the fudge attention you will, by the end of them, have a decent idea of who the main characters are and what the crisis they will be dealing with is.

And if you go on to watch the last 7 episodes, which cover the second half of the first volume, you will know what the overarching theme and goal of the series is.

Now, if thats too difficult for some people, well, thats not my problem, and its not the show's problem either.

Literally, in episode eight, during a debate with the protagonist, one of the other main characters states plainly the core theme that runs throughout the novels.

Does that make it a "sub par adaption"? Maybe. I don't particularly care, because taken as a single work, its fantastic.

I hope that when the US BD comes out, whoever is assigned to review it gives it the attention it deserves.

amen to that. such a fantastic show
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And in that bold quote lies the problem: I didn't find that it deserved the effort.

Well...I'm sorry. It does. I don't know how to really debate this point, other than to say that if you made up your mind in advance, well, you lost out.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong: I didn't find Horizon to be awful, either. Just a mediocre-quality show whose creators seemed more interested in jamming as many cool things as they possibly could into a series than in telling a coherent, smoothly-flowing story.

A friend of mine wrote an article addressing this precise point, it actually deals more with season 2, but hey.

Why Shouldn't it be on the Middle of Nowhere?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
"Why Shouldn’t It Be on the Middle of Nowhere?", you ask? Well, because it makes no effing sense to throw things in that don't belong together.

You wouldn't throw everything in your fridge and cupboard into a blender because you'd end up with sludge. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere is the Anime equivalent of that sludge.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
"Why Shouldn’t It Be on the Middle of Nowhere?", you ask? Well, because it makes no effing sense to throw things in that don't belong together.

You wouldn't throw everything in your fridge and cupboard into a blender because you'd end up with sludge. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere is the Anime equivalent of that sludge.

Except it does make sense, in the context of the world Horizon takes place in. Like Zyl mentions, everyone in the show already knows the context, everything that happens makes sense to them, because its normal. Sure, to us its bizarre, but so what? Its their world, we're just observing it.

And we once again are entering that bizarre world where a miscellaneous group of "creators" are responsible for the content of a show, and not the actual author, Kawakami Minoru.

It would be like saying that Orcs and Elves make no sense in Lord of the Rings, despite the fact that Tolkien created the lore to justify and explain their existence, even if only the most directly relevant bits of information made it into the story proper, the rest relegated to reference notes and other material where it was more appropriate.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Except it does make sense, in the context of the world Horizon takes place in. Like Zyl mentions, everyone in the show already knows the context, everything that happens makes sense to them, because its normal. Sure, to us its bizarre, but so what? Its their world, we're just observing it.

Everything was thrown in to appeal to as many fans as possible, not as part of meaningful world-building.

It's not the world of the characters, it is the made-up world from an author and publisher who want to make as much money as possible, and logic be damned.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
It would be like saying that Orcs and Elves make no sense in Lord of the Rings, despite the fact that Tolkien created the lore to justify and explain their existence, even if only the most directly relevant bits of information made it into the story proper, the rest relegated to reference notes and other material where it was more appropriate.

>Comparing this shitty show to Lord of The Rings.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Everything was thrown in to appeal to as many fans as possible, not as part of meaningful world-building.

Yes, you know this...how, precisely?

Quote:
It's not the world of the characters, it is the made-up world from an author and publisher who want to make as much money as possible, and logic be damned.

See above question. I can provide more backup to my position, and just watching the show (and having a decent backing in 17th century european and Japanese history) will demonstrate that this is patently untrue.

Quote:
>Comparing this shitty show to Lord of The Rings.

Well, I personally find Lord of the Rings more than just a bit overrrated (don't get me wrong, its a vitally important work in the history of western fantasy literature as we know it, and it influence can be felt even in shows such as Horizon and Sword Art Online), so that line of argument won't get far with me.

That being said, I did not, in fact, compare Horizon to Lord of the Rings. What I did was point out that if examined fairly, many of the criticisms laid at Horizon could be laid at LotR (or many other large scale fantasy series, Wheel of Time, ASoIaF, etc etc). But you aren't actually interested in giving it a chance, having prejudged it based on nothing more than the character designs.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
See above question. I can provide more backup to my position, and just watching the show (and having a decent backing in 17th century european and Japanese history) will demonstrate that this is patently untrue.

Yes, because in 17th century Europe and Japan there were flying cities filled with morons waltzing around in their birthday suits and getting away with it, incubi, high-school girls with their chests bursting out of their school uniforms, Indians who threw curry as an attack move, robots, and so on and so forth.

Don't give me such obvious BS. There's absolutely no reason for all the different character archetypes to be mashed into one show except to bring in as many fans as possible.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Yes, because in 17th century Europe and Japan there were flying cities filled with morons waltzing around in their birthday suits and getting away with it, incubi, high-school girls with their chests bursting out of their school uniforms, Indians who threw curry as an attack move, robots, and so on and so forth.

Of course there weren't. When did I say there were? Horizon does not take place in 17th century Europe and Japan, but it is recreating history based on those time periods.

Quote:
Don't give me such obvious BS. There's absolutely no reason for all the different character archetypes to be mashed into one show except to bring in as many fans as possible.

This, from my point of view, seems to be a failure of imagination on your part. You, yourself, cannot come up with a reason for this, ergo there could not be a reason for this, since the entire world revolves around dtm42 (as you have clearly established in the past). The fact that Horizon exists with this setting, and its setting is well established, coherent and reasonable within its context is literally beyond your comprehension, do to your own personal blinders.

The problem here is not Horizon, its the people who are to closed minded to even give it a fair chance.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow Fencedude5609, you don't like it when ad hominems are used against you, so don't use them against other people.

Look at this picture and tell me that those characters are there not for the audience but because there is a perfectly logical and sensible reason why they would be assembled together at the same time in the same place in the same universe. And then tell me what that reason supposedly is. Because what I see is a terrible mis-mash of character tropes including angels, an incubus, a beast-style robot, a racist depiction of an Indian man holding up a plate of curry, a gynoid, an orange blob, and an eight-foot-tall bodybuilder in a crusader helmet. I would love to hear how all of those characters being together is not a by-product of the author's greed but instead all part of a coherent and reasonable story that has nothing to with pandering whatsoever.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Look at this picture and tell me that those characters are there not for the audience but because there is a perfectly logical and sensible reason why they would be assembled together at the same time in the same place in the same universe.

Actually, its both. They are there for audience appeal and there is a perfectly reasonable reason for it.

Quote:
And then tell me what that reason supposedly is. Because what I see is a terrible mis-mash of character tropes including angels, an incubus, a beast-style robot, a racist depiction of an Indian man holding up a plate of curry, a gynoid, an orange blob, and an eight-foot-tall bodybuilder in a crusader helmet. I would love to hear how all of those characters being together is not a by-product of the author's greed but instead all part of a coherent and reasonable story that has nothing to with pandering whatsoever.

The reason is...not actually relevant to Horizon at all. The reasons humanity became this way was covered in Owari no Chronicle, the Light Novel series that covers the "AHEAD" portion of Kawakami Minoru's universe. However those events are long enough in the past that they do not have any direct bearing on the events of Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon (which is in the GENESIS portion of the timeline).

Sadly Owari no Chronicle has not been translated or animated, but hopefully it will, someday. But as I said, you don't actually need to know why they are there. They are there because they are. Just like you don't need to know why there are Elves, Dwarves and Hobbits in Middle Earth, the important part is that they are there. If you are really interested, you can enrich yourself by exploring the lore of Middle Earth further, and find out the answer to your question, but its not relevant to the actual story being told.

You are far too fixated on the surface appearance of things, to the point where you cannot let yourself believe that something with those characters could be worthwhile. So instead of going in with an open mind, you've declared that it must suck, and will not even consider other possibilities.

For the record, here is the timeline of the six time periods in his universe, taken from the back cover of the Horizon volume 1A. "FORTH" is more or less current day, "GENESIS" is approximately 10,000 years in the future. The only periods I know much about are AHEAD (Owari no Chronicle) and GENESIS (Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon).

I don't expect you or Key to really pay any attention to this, but I hope it will be informative to others.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
mis-mash or not, every one of those characters uniquely contributes to something in the story, and with plenty of style
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The difference between LotR and Horizon? Orcs, dwarves, humans and elves are all logical beings in a Fantasy work and it is further logical to see them inhabit the same world. Heck, Tolkien literally wrote the book on that. Whereas an incubus has no business being in the same work as a robot, and an angel has no business sharing screentime with a racist Indian caricature.

Do not presume me to be close-minded just because I will not tolerate Horizon's BS writing.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The difference between LotR and Horizon? Orcs, dwarves, humans and elves are all logical beings in a Fantasy work and it is further logical to see them inhabit the same world. Heck, Tolkien literally wrote the book on that. Whereas an incubus has no business being in the same work as a robot, and an angel has no business sharing screentime with a racist Indian caricature.

Says who? You? Tolkien? Why should I, or more importantly, Kawakami Minori, give a flying fudge about that? He's not writing LotR, he's not writing Wheel of Time, he's not writing any-other-damn-thing but his goddamn story.

You are the one laying down entirely arbitrary restrictions on creativity for no other reason than that "its always been done that way"

Sure, Tolkien "wrote the book" on fantasy, good for him. So [expletive] what? When was it decided that Tolkienian fantasy was the only acceptable form? Show me that clause in the contract people have to sign before being allowed to write. Oh wait, there is no such thing.

I really expected better from you dtm, I am, no kidding, incredibly disappointed in you here. You don't have to like Horizon, but I damn well expected you to defend it existing as a creative work. That you aren't, that you are actually arguing that there are distinct RULES as to what types of fictional characters can exist together...well, thats just shitty of you my friend.

Quote:
Do not presume me to be close-minded just because I will not tolerate Horizon's BS writing.

This is the point where I ask precisely how much of Horizon you have seen and/or read.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe it's because Horizon literally RUNS on Rule of Cool. Everything about it is cool. Horizon basically crams every single anime cliche into a blender and somehow became one of the most awesome shows in the recent years...and I'm only 6 episodes into the 1st season.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Or maybe it's because Horizon literally RUNS on Rule of Cool. Everything about it is cool. Horizon basically crams every single anime cliche into a blender and somehow became one of the most awesome shows in the recent years...and I'm only 6 episodes into the 1st season.

it only gets better from there
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8