• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Freezing BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Except once again, I never said anything about "the kind of shows I like". Please either quote me saying this or drop it.

Here is the original quote Whether you can potentially explain all the cruel and violent acts in this show as "realistic" is pretty meaningless for a show like this. It might be valid if we were talking about a show that was actually trying to be a dark and realistic examination of violence. However, (and I can't emphasize this enough), we aren't. We're talking about a show that is essentially an Ikki Tousen style titty fighter.

Quote:
This is absolutely nothing but an empty ad hominem attempt to ignore my actual argument

I have replied to all of your so called "arguments" line by line and you have decided not to answer to most of my replies

Quote:
and instead discredit me by accusing me of some kind of bias. And you presume to tell me about logic?

I insisit in your bias, there is no logic behind investing so much time in talking about a show you dislike unless you have a very strong bias against what the show represents. I will keep pointing towads your skewed logic every time I see it.

Quote:
I understand that. I never said otherwise. However, the fact that "it is realistic to see such cruel behavior" does little to justify its inclusion when the rest of the show is totally unrealistic. That's what I'm saying.

Against who or what are you implying the show has to justify itself? Because again if it has to justify itself against what you like, well, it never will so you should look for other shows that "justify" themselves against your likes instead of badmouthing does that do not.

Quote:

Just for clarity purposes, I see an attractive woman in a pose that says "empowerment" whose clothes are worn by a melee fight, but you incluiding it here means that you think it is silly/absurd.

Quote:
Honestly, I really don't know how you can look at a show like Freezing and not see anything ridiculous about it or not see how clearly designed it is to provide titillation. The whole premise is a joke.

Two sentences and not ONE logical reason to show why this show is absurd or silly. We have already established there is fan service, yet you fail to probe where it is "designed it is to provide titillation" unless your are using six letters to say "fan service".

Quote:
It's a show about a bunch of warriors who it just so happens must all be super attractive young girls.

In the real worlds wealthy girls have the tendency to be attractive (either thru natural genetics or plastic surgery). Their families have given them the task to "protect humanity" to show off their status (stigmata are quite rare and were implanted in most of them). There is one girl that is not wealthy since she was born with stigmata (a very very rare ocurrence). This kind of plot is standard fare for a science fiction story, so far you seem to be saying it is silly/absurd because it is science fiction (and you seem to be wasting your time by criticizing it).

Quote:
They all wear silly, wildly impractical, stripperrific costumes.

The school uniforms are NOT striperific (is that a word?), they do not fall apart with the utmost ease, they are torn by blows that would make most humans lost conciousness. This girls seem to be "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" (or with the same jump get near human enemies a subsonic speeds) so I do not see why they are impractical, unless you mean you want them to wear skimpy cloths to show more skin.

Quote:
Oh and the kicker? They can all regenerate major injuries (which of course they frequently sustain). It's just a blatant excuse for a bunch of excessive clothing damage.

You seem to be criticizing a show you have not seen, they are not to able to "regenerate major injuries", you do not see any of them healing their wound by themselves (like i.e wolverine does) nor re-ataching to their bodies any severed member. They have quite high recovery powers (meaning they need doctors and surgical operations to recover) and are quite resilient (way above normal humans), but I only see that as the reason they can survive the fist of the norh star levels of fights they have. Would in your skewed logic be nor absurd/silly if they wore bikinis in fights so that their clothes were not damaged?

Quote:
No, it's really not anything new. But other comparable shows (or at least those that I'm familiar with) don't wallow in cruelty as it does.

By definition any melee fight is cruel. You can sugar coat it like in the tom and jerry cartoons so that it appears to be comical, but they are cruel none the less. But I do not see this particular series to "wallow in cruelty" since we do not see gore (like we saw in Deadman wonderland) or death (if I remember corectly in this anime all deaths ocurr in flashbacks that show fights against NOVA) and the fights are brutal, but after someone loses a fight they do not degenerate into bouts of physcial punishment by the winner of the loser.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh great, another person who wants to censor everyone who doesn't agree with them.

What happens in the case where a person has seen the entire show and completely disagrees with the review? Do their posts gets removed too because it might confuse potential buyers?

You are always making these one sided comments on the past few shows that only explain how 1 episode annoyed you and it made you drop the show. You than continually try to counter everyone's arguments that did watch the entire show trying to make your understanding of one episode greater than everyone's understanding of the whole show. How is reading 10 pages of a book make your limited opinion beneficial compared to everyone's full 100 pages of a book? Watching 1 episode is equivalent to reading 10 pages of a 100 page book. If you watch the whole thing and made a criticism with good reasons than your opinion is well informed, making it beneficial to anyone interested in purchasing this show or other's understanding of the show.
thcozard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
I always hate it when the animation studios make their adaptions have much more fan service then the original work (this also happened with R+V).
The constant bullying in Korean stories is starting to get on my nerves... There is effing aliens trying to take over the world! Get your shit together girls!

Last edited by thcozard on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
thcozard wrote:
The constant bullying in Korean stories is starting to get on my nerves... There is effing aliens trying to take over the world.. get your shit together girls!
This is one place where taking a note from the military is just common sense: if your units are infested with bullying in peace time, how the hell are you supposed to keep cohesion when things get sticky? Is it really too much hassle to take problem cases and throw them in situations where they have to work together?
Sixth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
This anime reminded me of a less impressive and sluttier version of Claymore.

The story is so weak I don't know where to begin. How generic were those 'Nova' creatures? I heard something about extra-dimensional robots wanting to take over the world, and that's when I switched off my brain.

I didn't believe the bullying comments in this review until I actually saw the anime. Seriously, EVERY senior student is portrayed as a bully. Yeah, it is incredibly annoying, frequent and takes place for absolutely no good reason! But it did help alright....helped me not give a rat's ass about any of the characters.
Oh btw, don't expect character consistency either - spoiler[I still don't know why Ganessa sacrificed herself at the last minute to save Satelizer, wtf? A bully coming to the aid of her victim - cause apparently, they're 'comrades' all of a sudden.]

Here's my review: It's a subpar anime that would appeal to teens aching for some softcore to fap to.

Last edited by Sixth on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
thcozard wrote:
The constant bullying in Korean stories is starting to get on my nerves... There is effing aliens trying to take over the world.. get your shit together girls!
This is one place where taking a note from the military is just common sense: if your units are infested with bullying in peace time, how the hell are you supposed to keep cohesion when things get sticky? Is it really too much hassle to take problem cases and throw them in situations where they have to work together?

I will take a cue from the 2012 movie The Avengers to point out how well it goes for the military to attempt to discipline a group of six powerful individuals (half of them being uber-powerful), even when they had a dangerous enemy to fight they were close to fighting between themselves at the helicarrier and lets not forget the bro-fist. I admit none of the pandoras is in the same power level as hulk or thor but I would say elite pandoras can get dangerously close to iron man levels of destruction and there is a school full of this individuals O_o
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
unbelieveable really reading all mention of this anime really good grief did anyone else keep focus on watching the series all the way without getting distract by f-service on it?!

give it's tempting sure add in mini ovas as well still yet keep my focus watch it all the way sure multi-watching yet still waiting to get my dvd-blu of it.

make more wonder give funi-service's anime f-service showing give there are good batch sure like you're so tempt funi-service to pick-up manyuu if keep up give DxD is around corner with dub & s2 on the way.

either that admit you want s2 of more satey & rana?
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Polycell wrote:
thcozard wrote:

I will take a cue from the 2012 movie The Avengers to point out how well it goes for the military to attempt to discipline a group of six powerful individuals (half of them being uber-powerful), even when they had a dangerous enemy to fight they were close to fighting between themselves at the helicarrier and lets not forget the bro-fist. I admit none of the pandoras is in the same power level as hulk or thor but I would say elite pandoras can get dangerously close to iron man levels of destruction and there is a school full of this individuals O_o
But it's a school - you're dealing with much younger individuals. And if most of these Pandoras are implanted with the abilities, you can start corralling them from the get-go, rather than waiting until they're powerful enough to defy you.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Sixth wrote:
This anime reminded me of a less impressive and sluttier version of Claymore.

The story is so weak I don't know where to begin. How generic were those 'Nova' creatures? I heard something about extra-dimensional robots wanting to take over the world, and that's when I switched off my brain.

I didn't believe the bullying comments in this review until I actually saw the anime. Seriously, EVERY senior student is portrayed as a bully. Yeah, it is incredibly annoying, frequent and takes place for absolutely no good reason! But it did help alright....helped me not give a rat's ass about any of the characters.
Oh btw, don't expect character consistency either - spoiler[I still don't know why Ganessa sacrificed herself at the last minute to save Satelizer, wtf? A bully coming to the aid of her victim - cause apparently, they're 'comrades' all of a sudden.]

Here's my review: It's a subpar anime that would appeal to teens aching for some softcore to fap to.

Ganessa isn't really a bully. She is just a moron with far too much pride, a massive ego and cant back up most of what she says. She knows that Satella is far more powerful than she is, but her pride wont allow her to admit that. the strongest warrior was about to be killed, so the obvious thing to do was to take the bullet then spout of some tsundere line about the reason for doing so. she saved a friend/ally/comrade and still maintained her pride by claiming that ranked 1 warriors should always protect the weak even if it cost them their lives
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Ganessa isn't really a bully. She is just a moron with far too much pride, a massive ego and can't back up most of what she says.
That's pretty much an exact description of a bully, y'know.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
getchman wrote:
Ganessa isn't really a bully. She is just a moron with far too much pride, a massive ego and can't back up most of what she says.

I read the description and it does not sound at all like that.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
getchman wrote:

maybe, but she gets her ass handed to her in that fight she stupidly picked in ep 2. Whenever she tries talking down to someone, they just ignore her. she might be trying to be one, but it never amounts to anything
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I think Ganessa's one of the more interesting characters in the show, honestly.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I think Ganessa's one of the more interesting characters in the show, honestly.

i kinda wish there was more of Elizabeth
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
i kinda wish there was more of Elizabeth

Actually, I do, too. She seemed like she was elegantly above all the crap being directed at Satellizer (as well as being the hottest-looking one of the bunch!), but the series ran out of time to delve into that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7