• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the way Adult Swim managed to time things so that episode aired on Valentine's Day (well, okay, it was still Valentine's Day in some parts of the States at that point) was pretty incredible. One would almost think they deliberately stalled and repeated episodes over the past couple of months just to set that up. Hey, wait a minute. . .

The episode itself earned a big WTF??? from me. Definitely worth a few laughs, and it will be interesting to see where the two key non-love-related plot developments go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
Since the 2nd season started, actually since episode 22 of season one, this series continually manages to leave me with a WTF just happened feeling after its over. But in a good way, if that makes sense to anyone else. I'm gonna have to buy this on DVD and hope a 2nd (or even 3rd) viewing might help me understand some things that might have just gone over my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
freezespell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, the way Adult Swim managed to time things so that episode aired on Valentine's Day (well, okay, it was still Valentine's Day in some parts of the States at that point) was pretty incredible. One would almost think they deliberately stalled and repeated episodes over the past couple of months just to set that up. Hey, wait a minute. . .

You took the words right out of my mouth, Key.

Wow, what an episode. Going in, I expected a pretty lighthearted, comedic episode with a couple of scenes to advance the plot here and there. What I got was something that will probably set the tone for the second half of the season. Not to mention a good laugh or two. Wink
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
Heh, that was a fun little diversion. Lots of fun and fanservice!

Of course, when the episode got back to business at the very end, that was an interesting turn of events. The waiting begins...
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
Since the 2nd season started, actually since episode 22 of season one, this series continually manages to leave me with a WTF just happened feeling after its over. But in a good way, if that makes sense to anyone else. I'm gonna have to buy this on DVD and hope a 2nd (or even 3rd) viewing might help me understand some things that might have just gone over my head.

I doubt it, because to be frank, I don't think it's understandable to begin with. The plot makes no sense. Or rather, the way it's playing out makes no sense- it has internal consistency, but every major twist seems to be made up on the spot. Like this past episode- spoiler[How the hell is Cornelia still alive? Admittedly, with the time skip and all, we never actually saw a body, but still, combine it with the return of Shirley's memories, and it seems like they're trying to bring back old plotlines long since resolved. Plus, the Geass Canceller undermines the entire premise of the series. And the recurrent plot thread about Lelouche's romantic ineptitude is horribly inconsistent with both his portrayal thus far and the tone of the series as a whole.]
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly, I didn't hate the episode as much as I used to, but it still was mostly ridiculous and unnecessary filler.

The show has always struggled to make Lelouch's private student life quite lighthearted while making his Zero persona go through hell and back, which does set two completely different moods, but I don't think Lelouch was out of character...in both the main series and the supplementary materials, he has always been portrayed as fairly shy and occasionally outright inept at romance, as far as his interactions with the Ashford crew are concerned. Good thing the person in charge of all those school festivals has moved on to something resembling a real life.

I am probably a little crazy, because I could actually make a plausible case for a second viewing helping to make things more understandable in several ways. How the series gets from Point A to Point B does rely on a lot of insane coincidences and sudden twists, many of which may stretch or just plain break the first time viewer's patience and suspension of disbelief, but I would argue several of them do have a larger purpose in mind beyond shocking the audience. Though not all of them do, which is one of R2's largest failings, and that doesn't change the fact some developments are just plain poorly executed even if they do take the plot somewhere in the long run. This really should be the last time I'll say it, at least until the series is over: don't try to take everything too seriously.

As for spoiler[Cornelia], the last time we saw spoiler[her, she had been wounded yet Lelouch planned to take her hostage]. We don't know what happened next, so assuming an off-screen death wouldn't be the only possible outcome. Also, I don't think the issue of spoiler[Shirley's memories] was actually resolved. The first season seemed to be trying to take it in a certain direction, but the time skip pushed the whole matter aside.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
C'mon, Lelouch was FABULOUS in this awesome romantic school comedy episode (and that was damn good timing to premiere it on Valentine's Day)! Laughing

spoiler[Granted it was Sayoko in disguise, but it showed the maid has more skills than meets the eye. And then there's Anya deciding to freakin' bring her Mordred for the contest! She always wants to overkill things. The Lelouch x Shirley moments around the end was cute enough.]
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I love episode 13
spoiler[cause Rolo does something epic at the end of the next episode can't wait but I'm not going to say what he does lol ] Laughing
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
That thing that happened at the end of the most recent episode (the love one), somehow I completely expected that to happen.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Alright, this is the last straw. I don't mind flimsy excuses for females in states of undress, and I tolerate shameless cinematography upstaging important scenes, but the chinese federation putting it's P.O.W.s in fetish gear is just plain stupid. Whoever is in charge of the fanservice for this series needs to suffer some of those severe health problems mangaka and always going on hiatus to combat.

That's not the only problem either- R2 is unequivocally the worst case of a sequel derailing from what made it's predecessor great since Warrior Within turned the Prince of Persia into a death metal video. The Ashford Academy sequences are completely at odds with everything else going on, the strategic focus of R1 has been pushed aside in favor of shocking turnabouts and colorful mechs duking it out, the comedic scenes grate against the more dramatic ones, and the plot is seemingly being made up as the writers go along. Was I not paying attention, or did the whole "religious cult making warriors with Geass" angle come out of nowhere just now?

This series has become a complete spoof of its' former self. If I wasn't having so much fun mocking everything it does wrong with the CG concept, I'd toss it in the rubbish bin. As it is whoever decided it should be more fanservicey and comedic should be slapped silly.

Just wait until you see the last episode

BONDAGE HO!

Seriously, I found the bondage fetish hilarious.because of how transparent it is. I mean theirs the chinese girl with a ball gag in her mouth, I mean its right in your face.

As for the most recent episode, well that was simply unwatchable, as I already stated on another forum I can'[t remember a worse episode for a TV series ever.

At least have some resemblance of giving a crap and not have Sayoko and Anya reduced to being Ralph Wiggum level of intelligence.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

As for the most recent episode, well that was simply unwatchable, as I already stated on another forum I can'[t remember a worse episode for a TV series ever.

Not that it's surprising by now, but hyperbole seems to be your thing.

I still don't actively like the episode, no...just didn't find it quite as unwatchable as described, even if there definitely were too many dumb stunts and all that time could have been spent towards more useful purposes. Perhaps because it wasn't much of a surprise for me, but generally speaking it also doesn't seem as hated by most of the new audience.

Also, about the "last episode" you casually referred to, spoiler[ those pseudo-"bondage" shots were far too brief for me to care about any such implications, considering everything else that was going on. If you think about it, that was a little weird, but it didn't even make me wonder until long after the fact]. Then again, I don't get easily distracted nor disgusted, so others with a lower tolerance might well share your reactions.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
Nightjuan you are going to have to get used to this. Code Geass R2 is one of the most polarizing anime I have come across. People Either think it rapes and eats babies or they think like me that it was a fun over the top action-comedy-drama that got a lot too carried away with its plot twists and revelations and character dynamics.

There is a lot more extreme randomness and crazy stuff coming up and more than one scene that made me go "Oh come on! You gotta be kidding me!". Some real epic randomness. Wait until you see the episode in which lelouch settles the score with his dad. I nearly fell out of my chair! The episodes from here to the end set many internet blogs on fire. I am actually surprised the internet didn't stop working.

I enjoyed the hell out of it and plan to get the LE's but there are a LOT of people who take this stuff way too seriously. I personally have never been this entertained by a tv show but I watch stuff to be entertained so what do I know.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
Nightjuan you are going to have to get used to this. Code Geass R2 is one of the most polarizing anime I have come across. People Either think it rapes and eats babies or they think like me that it was a fun over the top action-comedy-drama that got a lot too carried away with its plot twists and revelations and character dynamics.

There is a lot more extreme randomness and crazy stuff coming up and more than one scene that made me go "Oh come on! You gotta be kidding me!". Some real epic randomness. Wait until you see the episode in which lelouch settles the score with his dad. I nearly fell out of my chair! The episodes from here to the end set many internet blogs on fire. I am actually surprised the internet didn't stop working.

I enjoyed the hell out of it and plan to get the LE's but there are a LOT of people who take this stuff way too seriously. I personally have never been this entertained by a tv show but I watch stuff to be entertained so what do I know.

Really from what I see the opinions range from a good mecha action series that got way too over the top, had way too many plot twist, anc character revelation that prevented all but the main characters from getting character developed to well The greatest anime in a decade.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone that outright hates the series from start to finish. I liked the first season due to its inventive mecha combat, good setup, a nice foil between Lelouch and Suzaku, and some interesting characters like Cornelia and Todouh. The problem is that Mecha combat quickly turns into AU Gundamesque, Suzaku's character spoiler[becomes a douchebag that's no longer the foil], and spoiler[Cornelia dissapears off the face of the Earth only reappearing as a good guy after getting character development we never see], as for Todoh all he does now spoiler[is sit around, great General indeed].

As for what I said about Episode 12 that's not hyperbole, the only two TV series that I can remember being as bad are the final episodes of Gundam Seed Destiny, and Mai-Hime.

Most bad tv series/episodes are just plain dull such as Dear S or Girld Bravo, this episode is outright stupid with a good portion of the cast out of character. While Dear S may be pandering this episode is outright calling me an idiot.

It's basically what would happen if Seltzer and Friedburg made an anime episode.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
Nightjuan you are going to have to get used to this. Code Geass R2 is one of the most polarizing anime I have come across.

I know, there are definitely conflicting opinions about this show, even if the two extremes are the most common, but that doesn't mean one can't try to be a little more prudent.

Without repeating myself, responding to possible spoilers or bringing up content from other topics in this forum, I've probably already said enough for the time being.

Last edited by nightjuan on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
As for what I said about Episode 12 that's not hyperbole, the only two TV series that I can remember being as bad are the final episodes of Gundam Seed Destiny, and Mai-Hime.

Interesting that you would mention a Gundam title, yet not mention ZZ Gundam and the Moon Moon episodes (yes, that's two "Moons").
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 48 of 60