• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rensie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
animalcalls wrote:
I don't understand the mentality that if you're an anime fan you can't dislike some anime titles. Like you have to stick together or something.

There is nothing wrong in dislike something, what is wrong in insulting a demographic or people into some show. You can review something without insulting people, this is professionalism, what some writers do here is only bashing a show and people who like these show to gain attention maybe, dunno, but is not fun at all, or at least i don't find fun and for what i read i'm not alone (and reading other communities i know that they consider Ann a crap website fullfilled with trolls and anime haters, admins don't help to change this concept too and honestly is not something they should be proud of).
I'm wondering also why some companies like Funimation and CR publicize their anime here and pay Ann to do this when some of they show are ridiculized and bashed by the same Ann employees/admins.
Maybe someone should tell Funimation to read Zac and other writers review so they stop to fund this portal. Maybe things will change if they got hit in the wallet and stop insulting with hate and bad jokes their own community.

Last edited by Rensie on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:01 am; edited 4 times in total
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Imagine if dtm24 wasn't banned...

Yeah, what was the final straw for that one?

He went ballistic in the Infinite Stratos review thread. I don't blame him for disliking the show, but he really was laying it on thick with the veiled personal attacks. Rolling Eyes
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Funimation has said they'll "simulcast" Jormungand on NicoNico, and while that sometimes means a little bit of a delay, even if it's a week the preview guide sometimes stays up that long. Obviously it'll be up to the reviewers to decide whether they want to keep working on it that long.

Well, at least FUNImation is consistent in its relative lack of urgency on getting things to the public. I imagine that we might end up waiting for a normal review of some streaming episodes.

vashfanatic wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Imagine if dtm24 wasn't banned...

Yeah, what was the final straw for that one?

It was his, to quote Zac, "totally out of control ego," in the Infinite Stratos thread. The end of the line for him was here, I don't care to find the beginning of the end.

Rensie wrote:
(and reading other communities i know that they consider Ann a crap website fullfilled with trolls and anime haters, admins don't help to change this mentality).

People like the ones in those communities are probably why I stopped actively caring about anime for six years. Sometimes I think that I had the right idea...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
seinenfan wrote:
As for Afternoon, the readership is less than 100,000 people. While Genshiken and Oh My Goddess may be popular among certain segments of the otaku crowd they certainly aren't otaku anime or manga. Although one does examine Otaku's, I would say it's the exception to the rule, and also probably one of the worst thing the magazine's ever run. The average tankobon sales for the majority of manga in Afternoon are extremely low. The few popular series work only to subsidize the unpopular ones, which are the majority. Beyond that Oh My Goddess initiated publication over 10 years ago. The magazine and it's contents have shifted drastically since then.

I happen to have visited the office of Kodansha's Afternoon Magazine ten years ago and I have to disagree what you try to explain here: That Afternoon is a supposedly "art" magazine. It's not. "Monthly Garo", that was an "art" manga magazine. Afternoon however is still strictly commercial and has its fair share of followers. It's a magazine for comic aficionados, for people who like their stuff a bit different from the mainstream and with a certain spin, but who nevertheless are still interested in traditional narratives like romance, science-fiction, adventure, horror-stories, and so on, sometimes with an amount of tittilation and also cutesy characters.
While some stories are and have been unusual in their premise and with a peculiar art style (see anything from Mohiro Kitoh or Ashinano Hitoshi for ex.), other popular ones always targeted a certain fan crowd (Aa Megamisama: Racing lovers; Gunsmith Cats: Gun lovers; Genshiken: Otaku themselves, ect.) and they have never really been a "minority" in the magazine like you're suggesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakitamike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
You realize if Zac's views offend you so much, driving traffic to the site down is what would help, but when you rabidly post and refresh and post again to attack his opinions, you're actually driving traffic and hits up.

Maybe people like dtm and fencedude are just closet Zac fans, since they were/are doing most of the work to put Zac's name into google search hits and traffic numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, that Infinite Stratos thread got insane... o_O

I've had times where I've found myself getting that upset on a forum, but you really just have to walk away. You're having arguments you can't win with people you've never met over things that ultimately do not deeply matter. That's why I ultimately stopped replying over the sexist comment made.... what, 30-35 pages ago? I said my thing, I was getting upset, you gotta let it go.

Also, as I look through the side column at recent reviews, most of these have been positive., with just a few mixed reviews. How on earth you could say this website is full of nothing but trolls and anime haters that companies shouldn't send there stuff to I have no idea. Heck, I frequently think the reviewers are too generous! (I'm looking at you, Theron's review of Boobonauts...)

Edit:
Also, I am done for the night. It's 10:20 here and I have to work tomorrow. I look forward to new reviews tomorrow! And ten more pages of pointless arguments! Twisted Evil
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
Oh god, this thread is hilarious. So much butthurt.

I love Moë, but come on people, take a little critisism. Some shows just plain SUCK. Keep the hilarious previews comin', Zac. They always brighten my day.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
BTW, Rebecca's page is still messed up, now the Kuroko no Baske screenshot is showing up twice.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I love Moë, but come on people, take a little critisism. Some shows just plain SUCK. Keep the hilarious previews comin', Zac. They always brighten my day.
Are you talking about Upotte!! or Mysterious Girlfriend Spitfinger? Because I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the latter's only big problem is the spit stuff.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I'd say Zac has quite the problem with Upotte too.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Are you talking about Upotte!! or Mysterious Girlfriend Spitfinger? Because I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the latter's only big problem is the spit stuff.

And the prior is simply mediocre. It doesn't suck, it just doesn't excel.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm mostly referring to Upotte.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Yes, ANN is paying Zac to troll. There's big money in professional trolling.

Honestly, some of the lines he says in these reviews are what I'd expect from people on /a/. And the fact he's gotten multiple 500+ plus topics on /a/ where people feel offended by his reviews and get all outraged kinda says the it is infact trolling, at least at the demographic he is making fun of.

"The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue."

I'd say this fits this well.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, some of the lines he says in these reviews are what I'd expect from people on /a/. And the fact he's gotten multiple 500+ plus topics on /a/ where people feel offended by his reviews and get all outraged kinda says the it is infact trolling, at least at the demographic he is making fun of.

Oh god.

I have to see this for myself. Reading butthurt is always hilarious. Looks like I'll hit /a/ later today.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm mostly referring to Upotte.

Upotte is not that bad so far. It is not masterpiece by any means but I think it could be an entertaining popcorn show. That is what is basically boils down to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 69