• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I want to respond to this, but I am too blown away by the sheer awesomeness of that AMV.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
There's a great scene in the book where spoiler[while on their honeymoon, Asuna explains to another player her reasons for falling in love with Kirito]. I'm hoping they leave the scene in the anime, but it's doubtful, given the time constraints of the show. Calling it "no different than any other anime romance" is simply untrue. Kirito and Asuna don't "save" each other as much as they complete each other. How many animes have a leading male and female protagonist that stand on roughly equal ground? That's pretty rare IMO.

Episode ten was really powerful on a lot of levels. You simply do not get that kind of development in other anime.

As it happens, I read the novel two days ago. I think I know the scene you were talking about and it it was partially covered in the anime. It invents a situation in the past (without foreshadowing as far as I remember) to justify her attitude towards Kirito. It creates a shortcut from "I don't know him" to "I really really like him". It's meant to substitute for an actual "on-screen" development since the novel is from Kirito's point of view, starts at the 74th floor and spends most of the time idolizing her. That situation doesn't condradict her personality, which is good, but not much of an accomplishment because we really don't know much about her in the first place except her behaviour. That they stand on a roughly equal ground is a plus for the likeability of the pairing and not the realism of the romance. What I'm saying is that this is a standart case of anime puppy love. It's cute, but nothing more. Since this is pure wish fullfillment, most people don't need anything more.

Speaking about .Hack, I have not seen it. My comment was made judging from the level of writing SAO has, large amounts of criticism yet relatively large popularity. Your argument may have merit.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
What I'm saying is that this is a standart case of anime puppy love. It's cute, but nothing more. Since this is pure wish fullfillment, most people don't need anything more.
I can agree with most of that, though I'd grade it a little higher than puppy love. Is it romeo and Juliet? No, but it's still very likeable in the context of the world where it takes place. Maybe you're right and I'm grading it based on the likability of the pairing instead of the depth of the romance, but I'm certainly not looking at it from the perspective of wish fufillment.

What would really be nice would have been a filler episode more from Asuna's point of view, to add some layers to her character. Better yet, stretching the SAO arc into a full 24-episode season, as opposed to half a season, which seems to be where they are headed.

Last edited by Bugnin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

Yes, the irony that its spoiler[much easier to outright murder a player than it is to rape one] is not lost on me. Guess the game creator had to draw the line somewhere, lol

Plus, if you think about it, in the original design of the game, killing a player wasn't supposed to be a permanent thing that killed the person in real life. So from that perspective, the fact spoiler[that it's so much harder or rape a player than murder them makes perfect sense.]

Of course, there is still the whole questions of allowing spoiler[sex of any sort in a game that has underage players. In fact, I even saw a quote from the light novel that has Kirito wondering what the heck the game designers were thinking allowing that, but I'm not sure if even the light novel goes into to much depth with it.]
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
...Romeo and Juliet was also puppy-love.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Which, as far as I understand, was the point. "Star-crossed" isn't a good thing.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Which, as far as I understand, was the point. "Star-crossed" isn't a good thing.
?..admittedly, I butchered that post. you're right though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
You guys think having fairly modern teenage girl spoiler[kill a begging man would be good because it would make her] a deeper character. Sorry but that is a little sick.

That's why I don't think spoiler[she should have killed him when he was begging for his life. I don't know if I could have done it myself, so I can hardly blame her. However, when he subsequently attacked her she shouldn't have hesitated to cut him down, permanently. But oh no, yet again, when she tries to save someone she needs saving herself.] Why oh why does the writing keep de-powering her?

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
You guys think having fairly modern teenage girl spoiler[kill a begging man would be good because it would make her] a deeper character. Sorry but that is a little sick.

This is a fantasy world we are talking about here, so I don't see the problem with thinking it would have been better for her character tospoiler[ kill off Kuradeel rather than letting Kirito do it. The guy was a murderous fiend, so I wouldn't have any sympathy for him. Also, it's not so much about the act of killing which would make her character deeper, but it might provide some opportunity for exposition which would add depth to her.]
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

This is a fantasy world we are talking about here, so I don't see the problem with thinking it would have been better for her character tospoiler[ kill off Kuradeel rather than letting Kirito do it. The guy was a murderous fiend, so I wouldn't have any sympathy for him. Also, it's not so much about the act of killing which would make her character deeper, but it might provide some opportunity for exposition which would add depth to her.]

comments like this make me feel like the internet is full of serial killers. honestly it seems like alot of people do not understand the emotional ramifications that come from taking another human's life. and saying that its a fantasy setting makes no sense the show is set in reality where people are trapped in a fantasy game it doesn't mean the way people would normally react to murder suddenly changes.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that Kuradeel wasn't stunned after the barrage attack - I dunno how many MMOs have stun or unconscious programmed into it, but that could have solved this issue of Asuna being "saved" again.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
comments like this make me feel like the internet is full of serial killers. honestly it seems like alot of people do not understand the emotional ramifications that come from taking another human's life. and saying that its a fantasy setting makes no sense the show is set in reality where people are trapped in a fantasy game it doesn't mean the way people would normally react to murder suddenly changes.

If ChibiKangaroo wanted Asuna to spoiler[kill Kuradeel straight away when he was begging then I'd have a little problem with that. Sure, he deserved to die, but taking a life (even one of a murderer) is a heavy emotional act. However, once Kuradeel attacked her there's no doubt in my mind that Asuna should have been the one to kill him. There's nothing wrong with killing in that situation (where a bad person she spared then attacks her)]. She didn't even need Kirito's help, and him 'saving' her makes her look weak and ineffectual.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
honestly it seems like alot of people do not understand the emotional ramifications that come from taking another human's life.
Actually, that's exactly what they do understand, which is why they say it's a (wasted) opportunity to really develop characters.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Lol, so I'm a serial killer because I though spoiler[Asuna should have been the one to kill the insane psycho killer who was just trying to murder her and her boyfriend, and who had just murdered one of their friends?] Geez this is just a show we are talking about here. It's not real. I was just saying the writing would be more interesting if Asuna was the one to carry the burden rather than Kirito.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
now that was a good episode. i dont really care who ended up spoiler[killing the former bodyguard. He is gone and cant cause anymore trouble], that's what is important.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 274