• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can an american become an anime artist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:31 am Reply with quote
mahoro wrote:
No offense but everyone, especially Nagisa, Teknoman blade, llittlegreenwolf and others, you are all taking this completely off topic! Lets refocus, end this flaming/pointless debate and try to give some constructive comments on topic.

!
LMAO, I strongly agree, and it so proves my point(s) in regards to "Fanboy rage" this flaming lacks of respectFrom both sides!
If you don't have anything nice to say....

As for an American breaking into the Anime field, it's somewhat near impossible, but hey if the Koreans can do it, i can't see why it should deter an American from working on storyboards,pages and such if S/he is dedicated enough. (I.E. Learning fluent japanese,adapting various animation styles and storytelling concepts and of course being very creative.)

"Become your dream". Cool
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:55 pm Reply with quote
That's true. Korean Anime is already considered second best to Japanese Anime. Megas XLR is pretty good for an American cartoon that's influenced by anime. Gendy Tartakovsky's cartoons (Dexter, Samurai Jack) are influenced by anime and they're really good.
Lupus

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:51 am Reply with quote
Yes, if you move to Japan and learn the language etc.

Or if you just make cartoons in an anime style and claim it's half-anime.

But to be honest, Western Animation (the vast majority of GOOD western animation is American [although most American live-action shows are crap by my experience] - but let's not forget the Animal Farm cartoon, which was British) has its good points [well, most of the stuff I watch], as does anime. But they are seperate. I don't think that there'll ever be a good American anime - maybe from Europe if someone tries hard enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5