• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do mispronunciations in dubs bother you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yes, it bothers me. The phonetics of American English (not to be confused with British English because I like how they sound) have no excuse to mess up the pronunciation of any language. The vowel sounds already exist (considering you only need one sound per vowel). It's just up to the actors and directors to not be lazy and/or ignorant. They can say Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki and Hiten Mitsurugi, but can't even pronounce Kenshin properly? Screw you, ADR person.

I'm a little more forgiving when it comes to Engrish, though. It can't be helped every word over there ends in a vowel or has no v's, l's, or th's (Bwee-Tsu, Eru, Ruruuchu, and "saank yuu" just to name a few...). That's just the way their history and culture turned out. And besides, most of the anime I watch in Japanese are usually Japanese-associated anyway (as in, lots of Japanese names, words, terminology, etc.). I lean towards English dubbing when there's more of a westernized context (like Bebop, Hellsing, or anything not dubbed by ADV or FUNimation in association with ADV VAs).
My stance on the issue is pretty similar to Tony's, although I've tried to soften it and be more forgiving over the years. So I can understand English VAs having difficulty with names like "Ryuunousuke," but why is it so hard for any native English speaker to pronounce a relatively simple name like "Misaki" with [mi] as in "meet" instead of [mi] as in "miss"? But it's not necessarily the VAs' fault. I think I've told this story before, but Greg Ayres said of the Kodocha dubbing that the director(s) told him to pronounce the name "Aya" as [eiya] even though Greg himself knew that it should've been [ahya]. IIRC he also said that the whole cast re-recorded numerous lines to correct the pronunciation of Sana's name, which originally used the [sæna] (with æ being "a as in cat") pronunciation instead of [sahna]. The reason for the re-recordings? Because Sæna sounded too close to how many kids would pronounce "Santa," which suggests to me that they would've left it as-is otherwise.
Quote:
Except for that one time in the kanon commerical...You guys know what I mean "From the makers of hurahi suzumyia"
Yeah, that was bad, but it was completely irrelevant to the actual dub of Kanon, despite the rampant illogic of all the people who declared Kanon "ruined." At least in the first 20 episodes, that name comes up precisely zero times, and if my memories of the fansubs serve me right, it doesn't show up in the last 4 eps either.

RE: Haruka's name in Noein -- I would've found it more tolerable if it had been "consistently wrong," as in mispronounced the same way across the cast. But some actors (Crispin Freeman comes to mind) pronounced it correctly, and evidently the people on the other side of the glass didn't notice or care that one character's name was all over the map.

And just who exactly are "ADV VAs," anyway? There's so much commuting and talent-sharing that I'm more inclined to call them "Texas VAs" rather than ADV or Funi VAs.
khimru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So I can understand English VAs having difficulty with names like "Ryuunousuke," but why is it so hard for any native English speaker to pronounce a relatively simple name like "Misaki" with [mi] as in "meet" instead of [mi] as in "miss"?
You mean... there is a difference? Just kidding. Yes, I do know [i] and [iː] are different vowels and I can even distinguish them (with difficulty) but I fail to see the crime in this mixup - if it's pronounced consistently by all characters in show. I think situation is simple: producers and VAs know they can not pronounce all names correctly and so just decide to stop trying. Can you correctly pronounce Shchors (with a single consonant before "o")? Does it really matter? Say jäääär correctly at least once, then think about mangling of foreign names.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
My view of dubs, has been unfortunatly slightly jaded by my first exsperience with them. I first came across them whilst watching the sailor moon series. I started watching it in japanese with subtitles but could not source some of the episodes, so had to watch the American Dub of it instead. Now Apart from despising Usagi's voice actor ( just the choice not the actual voice), I also found that significant parts of the series had been docked or cut to suit western ideas. I hated this with a passion. Since then my views of Dubs have always been slightly jaded simply because I tend to (wrongly) accosiate every Dub with censorship and buthery of the origional content. It's one of those things I have to stop my self from thinking about everytime a new dub comes out.

Despite having to to wrestle with the urge to avoid dubs in general, I do enjoy watching them still as they often add a different element to the series. The different tones of voice sometimes used can affect your understanding of the characters emotions at the time. I will use the scene in The melechololy of Haruhi Suzumya for example. The scene from the deserted island where spoiler[Kyon and haruhi fall off the cliff in the typhoon with Kyon managing to twist in the air so that Haruhi landed on him]. For those of you with the dvd's, if you compare the voice acting immediatly after the fall between the two languages, there does seem to be more emotion or desparation in Haruhi's voice that there did in the japanese version. Of course this is purely opinionistic in nature but it does show that dubs can change the content and understanding we have of the characters in a show. This could also be down to my lack of knowledge and crude understanding of the japanese language.

I can; however, therefore understand why people can sometimes avoid the dubs alltogether. The origional VA can sometimes be considered the 'true' portrayal of a said chatacter and thus the Dub can often be seen as an invasion upon the origional content. Its like watching a japanese dub of lock stock and two smoking barrels. Some of the humor to be had comes from the typically cockny British accents. This is a quality lost in a foriegn dub.

I'm by no means trying to make a case for hating Dubs but I am saying that the power and influence that the dub has over a series is not to be underestimated. This is especially true with shows such as kanon where some people find the 'Kawaii' japanese voices of Makoto and Ayu to be a central part of thier enjoyment of those characters. This is just a small example however. There is no excuse for the more extreme views that its bad just becasue its not japanese. To these people I say.......

Uguu!
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
The English voices are also pretty "Kawaii" in Kanon though IMO, and this is coming from someone who started watching Kanon after I watched Clannad in Japanese. The casting really was very well done if you were looking for "cute" voices. They did a good job.

There are certainly bad dubs but if anyone claims Kanon is one they are just off their rocker.

I don't think anyone can deny that any English dub is a different experience than the Japanese. Sometimes though, it can be a better experience. I know that I like Yu Yu Hakusho in English much more than the Japanese, and the same is true of the classic Dragon Ball Z. It goes the opposite direction for others, but I like both dubs when they are well done.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think anyone can deny that any English dub is a different experience than the Japanese. Sometimes though, it can be a better experience.

Certainly, I enjoyed the English Dub of Nausica fo the Valley of the Wind better than the origional VA for example. I cant remember who but i think there were some famous VA in Nausica aswell. The ghibli stuff always has been ( IMO) well cast in terms of voice acting though.

Is this possibly because it is aimed at a Western market as well as a japanese market to begin with? Im not sure about this however.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
As I was skimming through the thread, I didn't seen anyone mention how Kagome from Inuyasha's name was butchered in the Viz dub.

Kagome (Ka Goh Meh) or Kah Goh May.

I despise the latter.

Also, the Jetix Naruto OP, as well as the stupid mispronunciation of Haruhi scared me... People really need to learn at least SOME Japanese before taking on such roles as Olympic announcers or english voices for a JAPANESE anime show... I mean yeesh. Is it that hard?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
As I was skimming through the thread, I didn't seen anyone mention how Kagome from Inuyasha's name was butchered in the Viz dub.

I despise the latter.

Ocean-Vancouver used to be awful when it came to Japanese pronunciations, though they got so much better somewhere along the line. For me, it started around the Black Lagoon dub. But regardless of how much they used to butcher names and some occasional acting snafus, I always did like the sounds of their actors' voices. I often use them in "fantasy lineups" for reading manga or text in video games.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:

I despise the latter.

I hardly feel like slightly drawing out the final syllable of one name counts as "butchering" its pronunciation. Now, if they had said "kay-GEW-muh," you might have something. Razz
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Shiggity wrote:

I despise the latter.

I hardly feel like slightly drawing out the final syllable of one name counts as "butchering" its pronunciation. Now, if they had said "kay-GEW-muh," you might have something. Razz

Meh, even so, it's still wrong, and it bothers me since I saw IY in JP first.
Ligene

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Since I mispronounce things all the time, not really. But an American can't pronounce a Japanese name correctly? You should sue them. Rolling Eyes
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the big deal in all of this. I've been watching dubbed anime since the days when Star Blazers and Voltron were in their first runs on US TV. When it comes down to it, it just seems like another excuse for nitpicking and double standards. I'd be more concerned about things that would outright change the context or meaning of a show than if the actors mispronounce a name or a word that they or the ADR director isn't familiar with.

Last edited by LuckySeven on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I don't see the big deal in all of this. I've been watching dubbed anime since the days when Star Blazers and Voltron were in their first runs on US TV. When it comes down to it, it just seems like another excuse for nitpicking and double standards. I'd be more concerned about things that would outright change the context or meaning of a show than if the actors mispronounce a name or a word that they or the ADV director isn't familiar with.

Yes picking on such a small detail is ecstatic, but doesn't have the same feel unless it dubbed properly.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
When I was watching a Lupin III movie ('Dragon of Doom', I think), Fujiko Mine's name was pronounced with Mine as in 'That's not yours, it's mine'

I think, in cases like that, it's pretty much a given that the dub was handled with little care. I switched over to subs for the rest of that boxset.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
When I was watching a Lupin III movie ('Dragon of Doom', I think), Fujiko Mine's name was pronounced with Mine as in 'That's not yours, it's mine'

I think, in cases like that, it's pretty much a given that the dub was handled with little care. I switched over to subs for the rest of that boxset.

Exactly my point.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I don't see the big deal in all of this. I've been watching dubbed anime since the days when Star Blazers and Voltron were in their first runs on US TV. When it comes down to it, it just seems like another excuse for nitpicking and double standards. I'd be more concerned about things that would outright change the context or meaning of a show than if the actors mispronounce a name or a word that they or the ADV director isn't familiar with.

Weird isn't it? I have seen many many anime and they frequently include English words. It is incredibly rare that I hear any of these words pronounced correctly. In fact in several cases the word is unrecognizable to an English speaker. However, I don't see any lengthy threads saying that the Japanese should learn to pronounce English words properly if they want to include them in their anime or any claims that the pronunciation of English words were so bad that they switched to the English dub. Given how much difficulty the Japanese have pronouncing some of these words I wonder why they didn't just use a Japanese word instead. However, the mangled pronunciation does not affect my ability to enjoy the anime. But one mispronounced word will ruin an English dub for an anime fan. Strange world we live in. I am really glad I am not an anime fan. I just like anime a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7