• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
User rating: Worst ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
As far as the suggestions go...I agree with the opinion that a 10-level rating system's probably a bit too detailed. It may be a bit more convenient come time to do the calculations but some classes could and should really be melted together. As someone pointed out earlier, there really aren't any clear-cut boundaries between categories such as very good and excellent and for the life of me I cannot figure out the difference between descriptions like so-so and weak. And then there's also the problem of people having different definitions/standards for each of the categories.

I don't know whether its just me but sometimes I find it hard to decide if I should rate an anime or manga according to how I enjoyed it as an individual title or what I think of it as opposed to other titles I've seen/read (ie rating it based on comparison with other titles.) For example I enjoyed Ouran High quite a bit personally but when you think about it apart from its production quality and unusual female lead nothing else about it makes it particularly outstanding among all the other romantic comedies out there.

I think there's a human tendency to take matters to extremes so that when you think you like a show, you'd click excellent/masterpiece rather than just good and hence the top-heaviness. And I do think that normal distribution would apply better to naturally occurring, quantitative data rather than opinionated data.

And then there are those minority spam voters etc that are determined to ruin the survey...as with any survey type bias, deliberate or otherwise, is just impossible to eliminate 100%.

Sorry for the rant. I guess my ultimate point is that the current rating system on ANN works well as a cursory glance at a new anime/manga but you just have to take it with a grain of salt sometimes. If I decide to really get into an anime I'd normally check out the name of the director, screenwriter and production studio to see if it'd suit my taste as well as reading available reviews on it before I watch or buy. As far as I'm concerned this habit has never gone wrong on me.

Great lists though guys! Some anime are definitely worth buying blind! Very Happy I wish we could truly rate anime like that on ANN even if its just a one-time joke.
ishmael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
This kind of things always happen. IMDB is full of that crap too. I've seen people vote Lord of the Rings as 0/10 simply because at the time, LotR was above Godfather in the Top 250. So some vote in reaction to the actual rating. The reverse is true - someone who sees his favorite anime in the worst ever will likely vote higher. Not knowing in advance the rating could help obtain a truer vote.

Also, there are fanboys who'll vote 10 on their series, even if they don't deserve it, and "anti-hype", those who'll vote "worst" for something that's been hyped but they never go into. Hey, if it's so hyped and they don't like it, it's probably all crap, right?

Also consider that some people vote subjectively and they know it, while some others vote objectively.

Objectively, I don't think some series could really get a worst ever rating, simply because of the overall quality of the works, such as animation, character design, voice acting, music... then, if you really don't like it is another matter.
vylo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
As I mentioned before another reason for top heavy rating is most people aren't going to watch things they would rate low.

Not many of us peruse this site and say to ourselves "well this looks mediocre, I should watch it!".

If we were all forced to watch and rate every anime on this site and did it honestly, I suspect the average ratings would be lower then 5. But we aren't forced to, so we tend only watch those anime that we think will appeal to us.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
ishmael wrote:
Also, there are fanboys who'll vote 10 on their series, even if they don't deserve it, and "anti-hype", those who'll vote "worst" for something that's been hyped but they never go into. Hey, if it's so hyped and they don't like it, it's probably all crap, right?

Well, if they perceive it as a masterpiece, then they have every right to rate it such. I don't understand how anyone can think that the ratings on this site are supposed to give some kind of unquestionable estiation of an anime's worth. They merely show what people enjoy. Furthermore, if a show can inspire fervent devotion, there must be something in that show worth responding to. Whether or not it is perceived in the same way by other people s irrelevant. Both those who think something is "Worst Ever" and those who think it is a masterpiece are correct, a long as they rate honestly.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Whether or not it is perceived in the same way by other people s irrelevant. Both those who think something is "Worst Ever" and those who think it is a masterpiece are correct, a long as they rate honestly.

Rating a show "Worst Ever" without having seen it because it's popular is not being honest. Neither is rating a massively popular show "Worst Ever" because you were slightly dissappointed with it honest. That's why ther votes are weighted, isn't it? Because people aren't always honest.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Well, if they perceive it as a masterpiece, then they have every right to rate it such.

Of course, you're right, so long as all of their ratings are consistent. It is not "correct" to rate everything one enjoys as a masterpiece. Some of those shows they enjoyed more than others, and those shows should have a higher rating than the other to reflect that. The more shows one has seen, the more this should show itself in the person's ratings.

And yes Dorcas_Aurelia, that's why they are weighted, because some people either don't understand the point of the system or refuse to play along, neither of those types should be taken seriously for the purposes of getting as accurate of results as possible (not that any amount of built in safeties mean accurate results in the end...).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Rating a show "Worst Ever" without having seen it because it's popular is not being honest.

I agree. That's why I cited honesty as necessary.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Neither is rating a massively popular show "Worst Ever" because you were slightly dissappointed with it honest. That's why ther votes are weighted, isn't it? Because people aren't always honest.

Exactly.

selenta wrote:
Of course, you're right, so long as all of their ratings are consistent. It is not "correct" to rate everything one enjoys as a masterpiece.

Yes, that would be dishonest, and generally not well thought out. I take time to judge my opinion of a series or movie, weighing the good and the bad, before I rate it, and I have changed ratings before to reflect opinion shift.
Zero89

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
As flawed as the rating system here is, I'm just thankful that it's not like the one on animeNfo. Seriously the stupidest rating system I've ever seen. It seems like you have to damn near summarize the entire series to get them to approve of your review, which kind of defeats the purpose for the reviews since they're full of so many spoilers that only a retard would read them... to top it all off, if they disapprove of your review, that's it, you can't try to rate that anime anymore.... Rolling Eyes

Now that that's done, I'll get to the point.. No rating system is not flawed in some way; because all rating systems use humans to a) come up with the parameters of which to rate something [computer rankings], or b) use them as their direct "judge" of the product [voting polls]. And we all know not all people think the same, or are entirely honest when expressing their opinions...

So my advice to you is simply this: Don't take rating systems too seriously.
I'm sure many people have already told you this, but use it as your guideline to anime, and not as your map... I hope that makes sense...

I made a thread about this exact same thing when I first joined ann, and someone told me the exact same thing I'm telling you now. At the time I thought they were spouting their "high and mighty" (don't really know how to explain it) attitude about how trivial the rating system is, (I believe their exact words were, "why do you care?"). But now, if you haven't already realized, I actually agree with 'em. Only time will tell if you do, too...
nikandros

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
G. Zeus wrote:
Anybody who lives in a free country would know that despite its advantages, democracy can sometimes be a b*tch. Anybody and everybody can and will share his/her 2 cents, and ironically, not all are of equal worth. Some people truly exercise their right to vote in a responsible manner but there are also those who simply go with the flow, pick whichever is popular, or make decisions based on impulses.

While going through the top 10 lists of anime and manga, I noticed that there will always be, without fail, a small percentage of people who rate some series as "worst ever". I often try to ignore the slim bars at the bottom but they really stick out like sore thumbs. In some cases, it seems rather sacrilegious, like wiping one's nose dirt on the Mona Lisa or the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

I am aware that no single person or action will be able to please everybody. But just take a look at some of a few cases: Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (8 "worst ever" ratings out of 153 total), Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (76/2186 ratings), Monster (12/314 ratings), Death Note (113/2476), Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (185/3549), etc, etc. In fact, (for the given examples) there are even more people choosing the lowest rating than people who gave the next 6 ratings ("awful", "bad", "weak", "not really good", "so-so", and "decent") combined.

The purpose of this thread then is to point out the most probable reasons why some people would choose to give the "worst ever" rating even when (or should I say, especially when) they seem to contradict the opinions of the majority. Why not pick any of the 6 higher ratings instead? Are these people trying to go against the flow by pointing out that the emperor is naked? Or are they simply doing it out of spite like rabid fans trying to boost the popularity of their favorites by putting down other titles? Or are these really honest opinions, perhaps partly due to the lack of comprehension skills or maturity to appreciate these works of art?

As an extension, how should one give a proper rating or review? Should we consider only our own satisfaction or should we try to judge from a neutral standpoint, remembering that there are different audiences for different works? Should there be an arbitrary point of view? Remove bias or "celebrate" it? Rolling Eyes

Discuss.

I personally try not to rate anime myself because I dont have experience. In the favorite 10 least favorite 5 thread I listed what I feel at this moment to be the top for me. I would never say something is absolutely horrible because I think even the worst show has some redeeming factors, even if that is only to show other producers what NOT to do. That still redeems it somewhat, and anyway, you need a rock bottom to better gauge where everything is, after all not everyone can draw the mona lisa.

That isn't the point of your post though. The reason democracy is bad is precisely the point of your post. Give everyone the ability to vote and you will always have people who really have no business doing so trying to mandate and manipulate policy. In any stable society one must realize some people's opinions just should count more then others. After all, if you go to an open panel discussion on the impact of Dickens on industrialized England and western history afterwards, who do you think has a more valid opinion? The person with a PH.D in literary history, or the person who dropped out of high school before he even got to read Dickens. Both have a chance to voice what they feel, and the drop out may have a valid point, but should you give his views equal weight with that of a person who has spent his life studying it, and has made a career out of knowing information similar to this?

Thats why I prefer to see the actual reviews for the dvds of a series here rather then look at user ratings. People here have turned this into a job and happen to do this with much of their time. They make money off of it so they have a professional obligation to be as objective as possible in their pursuit on rating the content. Do I look at user ratings? Yes I do, but I don't let that alone influence my choice in what I do and do not watch.

I try to take a broad range of ideas before watching a series. I start by looking up the summary on wikipedia, I look at the voice actors and a non spoiler filled plot to see if I would like the over all content then I come here and take a look at user ratings, then I check to see if there is a review. Finally I ask my personal friends if they have watched it. If yes I ask if they enjoy it, if they do and all content matches up, and the title looks like it has promise I then view it.

Letting one source of information dominate your entertainment selection, voting selection or what ever is wrong. One should attempt if at all possible, to diversify oneself, but also give something new a try, if you find out you do not like it, you might waste a little time, but who is really crippled by that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5