• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:25 am Reply with quote
Its worth understanding that veterans tend to (but not always) refine their tastes. Take a food critic as an example, after trying and finding many delicious ways to turn beef into a meal, they will find much to criticise in an average mcdonalds or burger king burger. Even while totally able to be a tasty and satisfying meal, its is still very valid to offer criticism on the burgers for their cheap mass produced experience and how they bored the critics palate. The comparison to the gold standards of human experience will always leave the functional hum drum in a negative light.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:53 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Its worth understanding that veterans tend to (but not always) refine their tastes. Take a food critic as an example, after trying and finding many delicious ways to turn beef into a meal, they will find much to criticise in an average mcdonalds or burger king burger. Even while totally able to be a tasty and satisfying meal, its is still very valid to offer criticism on the burgers for their cheap mass produced experience and how they bored the critics palate. The comparison to the gold standards of human experience will always leave the functional hum drum in a negative light.

Also, it has a lot to do that many of this series are aimed towards teenagers/early twenty-something while the critics... are not. They have seen the cliches and tropes several times times along the decades, while they can be fresh new for the new viewers who start watching anime for some years and then they will stop forever. Or at least not the seasonal animes, but special ones, like Demon Slayer, SxF, Ghibli movies, etc.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:45 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
My Wife Has No Emotion has a rough start and is only rougher in the manga as the author used to do loli hentai and a certain "bad feel" uncanniness carries over. It also began on Pixiv so the art looks cheap and amateurish for quite some time. I am willing to break a lance for where the manga goes down the line BUT you need to wade through 2 to 3 below-average at best volumes to get there and that will be half the show! Maybe more as the pilot an extended adaptation of only 33 pages but it does improve on them, I will say that. It´s beyond unlikely that Tezuka Productions of all people will get more funded so the story will stop right as it starts going somewhere. This entire adaptation is a Catch-22.

I still find it weird that it's Tezuka Pro of all companies doing this. Even with their spotty track record as of late, this was the last title I was expecting to be handled by them I was honestly expecting an Asread, or a TNK, not the studio behind Astro Boy (though in some twisted way, I guess it does make sense).

Also how is it this is the title that they decided to try and polish while The Fable still looks cheap?
Dayraven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
not the studio behind Astro Boy

Their non-Tezuka works tend to be a fairly random spread, they’re not particularly an ‘in the style of Tezuka’ studio.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:04 am Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
Quote:
not the studio behind Astro Boy

Their non-Tezuka works tend to be a fairly random spread, they’re not particularly an ‘in the style of Tezuka’ studio.

I mean I get that they not only a "Osamu Tezuka-exclusive" studio, but the point I was trying to get across (albeit poorly), was that I was expecting a lesser studio to be handling this.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:30 am Reply with quote
My Wife Has No Emotion is a no for me, I have had my fill of awkward and stale romance shows (plus that the show feels depressing to me rather than cute). Also, unless it is somehow horrible I will be watching Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian and one romance show a season is enough for me (we have like 8 this season).

Hmm, Ossan Newbie Adventurer had a decent enough first episode I suppose. I will keep watching but I am not particularly impressed. Being 35 I want to root for the mc and the show does have some style and humor to it. On the other hand, it is filled with one cliche after the other and I hate characters who keep thinking that they are way weaker than they actually are.

Shy had a calm start with getting all the heroes and other characters re-introduced while also adding the not at all like the Flash looking hero Century. Seems like the actual new arc starts next week. The show is still pretty charming.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I actually like Last Dungeon Boonies. So, i'm glad to see it mentioned somewhat favourably, at least compared to dogwater. Not sure I'll check out said dogwater, though
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Um, am I the only one who thinks that the hero of Ossan Newbie Adventurer is basically just a far less well realized version of Kafka from Kaiju No. 8? Guy around 30, discounted because of his age as he seeks to achieve his dream career in a monster-killing job, etc.?

The first episode wasn't terrible, but if it doesn't raise its game it hard to see even an easy-going bloke like myself bothering with it for eleven more weeks. This show desperately needs a Carol Olsten to galvanize the rest of the cast. Or a sharper comedic focus, or better editing to make the jokes pop. Or a novel plot device. Or...something.
mynamemine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
CrypticPurpose wrote:
If you're going to hate a series from the moment you read the title, knowing you hate the entire category of anime it exists in, you are not qualified to review it - specially when you don't even try to hide it. When the entire review can be replaced with "SSDD, FML", everyone is better off with it not existing in the first place. I know, you are obligated to write it because it is your job, but also, it is your job, so be professional? Reading those impressions are seconds of my life I will never get back, and there wasn't a single line of value in the whole lot. A poop emoji would have been a significant improvement.

I really don't even know why I even bother coming here anymore...

These are previews, with folks mainly giving their initial thoughts. Maybe save all of this for when the show you're into is actually getting reviewed week-to-week?

All you have to do is mosey on over to the "Worst of Spring" article where you will see this wonderful nugget - a young, male, and straight audience, and I'm so tired of anime studios chasing that demographic's money - real nice. Also go into the archives and see where the reviewers for Talentless Nana and The Executioner and Her Way of Live cheered like crazy over those shows depicting the sort of character that usually leads shonen action shows getting brutally murdered by the "heroine" in the first episode. Fanservice? Busty and otherwise conventionally attractive female character designs, especially underage (or underage looking)? Edgy main characters? Those are the things that they target the most. Except, of course, if it is an LGBT themed show like Gushing Over Magical Girls! No, that is when pervasive nudity, a "protagonist" who routinely commits sexual violence and a cast of 14 year old girls is just fine.

The original poster said something to the effect of "I don't know why I keep coming to this site." For myself, the answer is "find the shows that the reviewers hate the most and give them a shot because there is a good chance that I will like the very things that the reviewers and a vocal subset of likeminded commenters hate."
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I noticed about The 30-year-old syndrome, now I am an adventurer, is that the publishers here told us that the Japanese publisher insisted on using the full name, which translates to "The adventurer in his thirties who trained to death with the strongest until he became invincible". But in anime? Eh, The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, the original name was silly anyway.

Last edited by kgw on Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:47 pm Reply with quote
mynamemine wrote:
Edgy main characters? Those are the things that they target the most. Except, of course, if it is an LGBT themed show like Gushing Over Magical Girls! No, that is when pervasive nudity, a "protagonist" who routinely commits sexual violence and a cast of 14 year old girls is just fine.

You might want to go back and take a look at those previews and episode reviews again before throwing out such accusations. 3 of the 4 previewers did specifically bring up the age factor, and the episode reviewer commented on it on multiple occasions. In fact, the initial reception towards the series from the staff was very icy, and the episode reviewer went some time before he finally started acknowledging the series' merits. It definitely did not get a pass just because "LGBTQ+ content."

Quote:
The original poster said something to the effect of "I don't know why I keep coming to this site." For myself, the answer is "find the shows that the reviewers hate the most and give them a shot because there is a good chance that I will like the very things that the reviewers and a vocal subset of likeminded commenters hate."

The contrarian angle is still a perfectly legitimate way to use reviews; at least once or twice a season I find myself liking a show that all of them rated poorly. However, at least some series that the staff hate on genuinely deserve it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:20 pm Reply with quote
mynamemine wrote:

Great! I'm so glad the reviews here helped you find shows you like!
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I know I watched The Strongest Fish Out of Water, but I have to really concentrate to remember what it was about.

LOL, good title Very Happy It’s not a great show, but might be a candidate for this season’s Accidental Iyashikei™️. I could see myself happily folding laundry to this one.

My Wife Has No Emotion just made me sad, on so many levels.

I guess I’m a bit of a sucker for shows like Ossan Newbie Adventurer, even though I know they’re dumb. What can I say, I dig that brand of cluelessness: “Wait, could I actually be . . . talented?”
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Shinmai Ossan made me laugh multiple times and looked good, so I've got hopes for it as an adaptation. Shino Shimoji killed it as Angelica; 10/10 smug turned suffering ojou.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Ossan Newbie wasn't very artful, clever, conceptually interesting or really notable in any capacity. Still, I enjoyed seeing the "old man" react theatrically to the hellish training, be dumb as bricks and think that a girl tripping over her feet is actually pulling out a super ultra mega special move and his weaksauce self has to be super careful or else he will literally explode and die, and aside from the admittedly irksome and rote boob gazing, generally be a likable guy. (And honestly, as familiarly annoying as it is, that doesn't compare to so many other, far more tiresome main leads to follow.) At least unlike Saitama, the man emotes more frequently than a boring robot wife, just here it's a by-the-numbers comedy instead of an unconvincing look at loneliness at the top with sick as fights. Enjoyed my time even if I can't call it good, but the first was enough for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7