• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
Having watched the last episode, I can now confidently say that Power of Hope: PreCure Full Bloom is the absolute best of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
That could actually be an interesting experiment, if you were to also show things like the pit/technicians, management and how they strategize in addition to the race itself. The honest answer is that it would probably drag at some point.
While I could see that work, I'd think that would only be interesting for hardcore race fans, not the general audience. And still, the series needs to give the viewer a reason to root for the competitors, because why not just watch an actual race instead?

Ebb1993 wrote:
Not all character development is good. If it’s too depressing to watch, it just isn’t worth it. You see, I now have a new rule for anime: If there’s at least ONE shred of drama in a otherwise generally lighthearted slice of life anime, it gets an instant drop.

So you're basically gonna stop watching anime? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Indeed, not all character development is good. But dare I say zero character development is even worse?

Was there any character in MFG you rooted for? And why?
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote
It feels like it's been a while since I've seen any of the Initial D fandom in the forums. Nice to see they're as entertaining as they've ever been.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:00 pm Reply with quote
And that's why I rarely if ever engage in conversation with people who dislike the shows I like. Far too exhausting and confrontational.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Ebb1993 wrote:
Wanna know what the biggest problems I have with most anime these days? They're too... dramatic. They rely too much on the sob stories of each character, most of them tend to be bitchy and whiny, and there are also too much anime with overly sadistic, evil laugh prone villains that do a lot of horrible misdeeds and they constantly get away with it. And the mood swings, dear God, the mood swings! One minute you're watching a comedy anime, the next it suddenly turns dark and dramatic for no freaking reason! It's one of my biggest pet peeves! It's like anime really can't decide if it wants to me dramatic and serious or lighthearted and goofy... Or how about the moment killers, like when a couple is about to share a kiss or hug only for their friends to run in at the last minute?

None of this is a recent trend. You can find stuff like this in anime going at least as far back at the '80s (and the "evil laugh prone villains" goes back even farther than that).

I do understand where your complaints are coming from, and shonen action series tend to be the biggest offenders on things like ham-handed ways to slip in needless character development or hackneyed ways to insert drama. Inserting comedy shots in inappropriate places has long been a pet peeve of mine, too, and tonal dissonance in general is a big problem in some anime series.

However, I disagree that anime can't do drama properly or find a good balance of humor and drama. There are plenty of series which do it well, including some great examples in this season alone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
And that's why I rarely if ever engage in conversation with people who dislike the shows I like. Far too exhausting and confrontational.

Yeah. And there is no reason to be mean to a reviewer, you can simply say "I disagree."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Very disappointed with my ANN family right now. Nobody even mentioning the unrivaled comedic genius of Girlfriend, Girlfriend Season 2 with the English dub. For shame. Now go sit in a corner until you've learned your damn lesson Laughing
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
None of this is a recent trend. You can find stuff like this in anime going at least as far back at the '80s (and the "evil laugh prone villains" goes back even farther than that).

I do understand where your complaints are coming from, and shonen action series tend to be the biggest offenders on things like ham-handed ways to slip in needless character development or hackneyed ways to insert drama. Inserting comedy shots in inappropriate places has long been a pet peeve of mine, too, and tonal dissonance in general is a big problem in some anime series.

However, I disagree that anime can't do drama properly or find a good balance of humor and drama. There are plenty of series which do it well, including some great examples in this season alone.

But were the villains in anime constantly shown to be absolute, irredeemable scum that always got off scot-free back then? As for the whole “inserting comedy shots in inappropriate places” is extremely annoying. One of the worst examples has got to be the Season 2 finale of Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It, which by far one of the most disgusting season finales of any anime I ever saw.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Having watched the last episode, I can now confidently say that Power of Hope: PreCure Full Bloom is the absolute best of the season.

You kidding me? I was kinda enjoying it until that stupid moment killer happened near the end. Bad enough I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness did the same thing not too long ago!
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Ebb1993 wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

You kidding me? I was kinda enjoying it until that stupid moment killer happened near the end. Bad enough I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness did the same thing not too long ago!

You know, you're being really rude to people with different opinions. No reason at all to put me down. Just enjoy what you enjoy.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
WizardOfOss wrote:

As a car racing fan I wanted (and kinda expected) to like the series, and that's probably the only reason why I kept watching till the end. But I'm very much on the fence if I want to give the 2nd season even a chance. Heck, Initial D has been on my plan-to-watchlist for way to long, but after watching this I'm not even sure if I should watch that.

I haven't seen MF Ghost so I can't speak for it either way, but I would highly encourage you to give Initial D a try. I started watching it last year mostly because of the Eurobeat and memes, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's a damn good sports shonen. The races themselves are well-staged and have proper stakes to them, and the characters get fleshed out and have to deal with plenty outside of just racing. (Oh no, personal drama in my anime!) Coincidentally, the friends I watched the first two seasons with are getting together tonight to watch the Third Stage movie. Smile
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I haven't seen MF Ghost so I can't speak for it either way, but I would highly encourage you to give Initial D a try. I started watching it last year mostly because of the Eurobeat and memes, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's a damn good sports shonen. The races themselves are well-staged and have proper stakes to them, and the characters get fleshed out and have to deal with plenty outside of just racing. (Oh no, personal drama in my anime!) Coincidentally, the friends I watched the first two seasons with are getting together tonight to watch the Third Stage movie. Smile
That sounds like about everything that MFG didn't have. Well, except for the Eurobeat Laughing
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Ebb1993 wrote:
But were the villains in anime constantly shown to be absolute, irredeemable scum that always got off scot-free back then?

Vegeta literally genocided a planet and then became friends with all the good guys within a few arcs. So, yes, this has been a thing for a long time.

Also, you are kind of just jumping on people for having different things they liked than you. They're not even hating the things you like, you're just going out of your way to piss on their favorites. Just be a better poster.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I’m sorry. It’s just that this has been a rough season for me.
Woozy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:21 am Reply with quote
I will never forgive the reviewers for how they handled Butareba in the previews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6