• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About Kadokawa's Investment in ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, what kind of track record does Kadokawa have with their buyouts, and the way they treat them afterward? Especially overseas companies, web/media companies, anything that might be remotely analogous.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
This isn't entirely surprising. Ad revenue is down pretty much everywhere, and even companies that seemed to be doing ok are getting bought up lately. I doubt ANN went into this without its own reservations or being aware of how it could look. The thing is, interested buyers are most likely going to come from some sort of related business. While some other completely unrelated investor would be nice, those same companies would also look at a niche news/review site and wonder why they would bother.

Also, it isn't surprising that the website itself is the first thing to see some benefit. Even within the last few days, I've found myself thinking how it seems dated. Obviously, that wasn't lost on ANN staff, but it's the kind of thing that can go by the side if most of the budget goes to the day-to-day expenses.
Utena no Prince-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
I don't need to come to anyone's defense, and you have a point about some of the site's technical limitations, but in my opinion describing the incredibly hard work that often goes into reviews as "moderately upscale fandom-level blog opinion pieces/reviews" is pretty harsh, even if your initial intention wasn't to bash the editorial content.

As a long time viewer who never bothered to post or make an account until now, I'll say that while some of the reviews and editorials are good, there's been plenty that were not, some even coming off as vindictive and personal. I lost a lot of respect for the site when Lynzee Loveridge was allowed to published her Sailor Moon "history" article unchallenged when it was just a thinly veiled excuse to write an essay about the one time Todd Haberkorn called her out on letting her political views get in the way of her impartial reporting. Dedicating an entire essay to something so petty and trying to disguise it as a concern for the franchise she loves felt so underhanded and manipulative. At worst, one might think she was trying to intentionally drum up enough drama to get him removed from his job for daring to talk back to her. At best, it was just a blog vent piece being presented as informative summarization of the franchise in America. Ironically it proved Haberkorn right at the end of the day if it was her motivation to do the entire thing. It's one thing to do those jokey TWIA or reviews, but that article was trying to present itself as an authorities and informative piece of the franchise's history in the west, none of which involves a tiff between two people on social media.
moozooh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
cutslo wrote:
If nothing else with decent funding we might finally get a website that works better on a technical level and doesn't function like it's 2004.

Noooo!.. I only recently registered here because I'd run out of placed to discuss anime and related subjects with people closer to my age (38), and the archaic site and forums were a major filter working to that end. Now it's going to be overrun by rude inarticulate kiddies like every other place. :D
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Come to think of it, what kind of track record does Kadokawa have with their buyouts, and the way they treat them afterward? Especially overseas companies, web/media companies, anything that might be remotely analogous.

FROM is mostly independent but they're very successful at what they do so...not really a good example.

They acquired/merged with (don't recall at the moment) Dwango, the company that manages Nicovideo. I don't know what is the situation now, but a couple of years ago the company was in deep red and wasn't making profit at all... but Nico is still here so who knows.

Also they did spin off their entire game division (Kadokawa Games) after their titles underperformed (the last one being Relayer).

AFAIK they don't really "own" a lot of overseas companies (but I may be wrong).
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:39 pm Reply with quote
(Just a thought: how about filing away this information about ANN, and then complaining if/when you start noticing things not going well? Like... c'mon. Christ, 5 pages of preemptive doom & gloom.)

Look on the bright side, maybe now they'll have enough money for proper translations of Japanese news!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
AFAIK they don't really "own" a lot of overseas companies (but I may be wrong).

They acquired J-Novel Club in 2021. In 2016 they acquired 51% stake in Yen Press.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
@Utena no Prince-sama

I'm sorry you didn't find the piece informative. People have regularly approached me at cons to tell me it's one of their favorite pieces of my writing.

However, you've misrepresented most of what was in the piece. At the risk of going off-topic (which most of this already was anyway):

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-06-01/sailor-moon-got-me-into-this-business-and-im-exhausted/.173165

lost a lot of respect for the site when Lynzee Loveridge was allowed to published her Sailor Moon "history" article unchallenged when it was just a thinly veiled excuse to write an essay about the one time Todd Haberkorn called her out on letting her political views get in the way of her impartial reporting.

That's not what happened. Haberkorn ghosted me on an interview he agreed to regarding rape allegations after emailing Zac and Chris to question if I was capable of being impartial due to my status as a sexual assault survivor and "feminist." His knowledge about my status as an SA survivor was likely taken from essays I'd written for another outlet or a Twitter thread he didn't participate in. The "feminist" claim was based on a shirt I was wearing in my profile picture at the time. I point this out because neither status were things I personally shared with him. I certainly don't consider surviving sexual assault a "political view" that I chose for myself.

Dedicating an entire essay to something so petty and trying to disguise it as a concern for the franchise she loves felt so underhanded and manipulative.

The entire essay is not dedicated to that. It is discussed in four final paragraphs in what is otherwise a nearly 20 paragraph essay. It is not the center of the discussion of the piece at all, although I can understand if you didn't like it.

At worst, one might think she was trying to intentionally drum up enough drama to get him removed from his job for daring to talk back to her.

Haberkorn never "talked back" to me. As I said, he never spoke to me directly about his concerns. There is also no way he would be "removed from his job" because the information was about his participation in an already finished product.

none of which involves a tiff between two people on social media

There was no "tiff" on social media. We have never interacted on social media.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:13 pm Reply with quote
cutslo wrote:
Pearl-clutching is certainly not needed here because with no offense to the editiorial staff, ANN is hardly a bastion of hard hitting investigative journalism. I doubt Kadokawa will take issue with the usual mix of industry press release reposts and moderately upscale fandom-level blog opinion pieces/reviews. Though your life will certainly get interesting if you somehow manage to piss off a conservative Japanese publishing house that just so happens to own you anyway (and "contractually obligated" will not help you much then), but that seems fairly unlikely. If nothing else with decent funding we might finally get a website that works better on a technical level and doesn't function like it's 2004.

I mean, the realistic worst case scenario is not a sudden pro-Kadokawa propaganda bent but that a couple of years down the line Kadokawa looks at the bottom line, decides that it's not worth it and fires everyone to concentrate on releasing top 10 lists forever.

You are like low-key seething and it's honestly really funny. Why are there so many people in these forums that literally hate this site? Laughing

Congrats, ANN. I hope this turns out to be a boon!
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The quality of the site has been slipping in recent years. I'm a bit amazed to be honest it took them this long to sell out.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:56 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see what this acquisition will bring to this site in the future. I look forward to seeing what projects are being referred to.
THELISTCRITIC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this acquisition means the return of The List, which I love critiquing.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
So much lazy cynicism in the thread. Which, I suppose, is to be expected. Any change is automatically assumed to be for the worst.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Chris was head of ANN for a long-time but I do wonder why he finally caved in, outside of money, to sell most of ANN to Kadokawa.

Now, if Kadokawa relinquished control of J-NC and Yen Press but still allowed for these companies to license from Kadokawa, I think Kadokawa taking over ANN would be less of an issue.

Regarding the Lynzee and Haberkorn thing: With the rape/sexual assault investigation against Todd, why does he still occasionally find work when Vic Mignogna, with a longer history of complaints, get blacklisted? I am #KickVic but I am trying to understand this discrepancy. Same thing goes with Damon Mills and Chris Niosi getting work while Vic is blacklisted.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Regarding the Lynzee and Haberkorn thing: With the rape/sexual assault investigation against Todd, why does he still occasionally find work when Vic Mignogna, with a longer history of complaints, get blacklisted? I am #KickVic but I am trying to understand this discrepancy. Same thing goes with Damon Mills and Chris Niosi getting work while Vic is blacklisted.

Its mostly because the Vic allegations became major news covered on many mainstream websites, while these other cases mostly went under the radar (like the Wikipedia page for Haberkorn doesn't even mention anything about it). At the end of the day companies only worry about the bottom line instead of actually working on principles and most people will know about Vic and may not buy their products but not the others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9