• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chainsaw Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I might just be totally imagining things, but were Power's breasts reduced in size during the swimsuit shot in the OP? I'm too lazy to check, probably not, but if they did, then that's awesome!

Quote:
I am at a loss to remember the last time an anime was allowed to be so deviously lewd—and I mean honestly, truly deranged with sexual tension—as the scene between Denji and Makima.

One scene in My Dress Up Darling comes to mind as being pretty good.

Most of the time I think adaptations just try to imitate the manga, and most ecchi manga is lazy tropes on lazy panels, and are farmed out to lower tier teams to adapt. Nobody is going to spend the budget on lewd things most of the time, and especially not on stuff involving lazy stories. Or rather, where the lewdness and sexy tension in Chainsaw-Man does serve a story purpose, in most other shows it's besides the point and the budget is spent on the action instead. Doesn't help that most anime male protags will quiver and run away to a corner to maintain chastity, or the females will just yell "baka" and punch them for seeing them with a towel on, and that's pretty much the beginning and end of the scene. Such things are made purely for the reader or viewer to ogle, the protags will remain chaste. Good on them, I guess... but I'm at a point where I'd rather they just didn't bother.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, padded boobs were a bit disheartening, but achieving your dream for all that effort and it not feeling right sucks a lot too. But Makima's still got Denji wrapped around his finger and knows how to completely seduce him.

That Aki flashback...ouch. I mean, I know a dark backstory and being driven by vengeance is a staple for dark-haired Shonen characters, but that was rough.

I wonder if the NRA turned into a Gun Devil worshiping cult.

Denji and Power have really become the rowdy siblings Aki has to live with and manage, but because they're basically kids he can keep them in-line with candy.

Denji acting all principled and committed to Makima but gets swayed by the promise of a French Kiss. Denji's chainsaw is rarin' to go once again.

Mariya Ise is not at all how I pegged Himeno's voice, but it won me over. It's nice seeing her and Aki's relationship play out.

Kobeni! Kobeni noises!
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Great episode this week. Watching the intro this week, I couldn't help noticing that parasitized snail. I wonder if that's foreshadowing something or (less likely) another movie reference.
The visuals on the ending this week were great too.

MFrontier wrote:
Well, padded boobs were a bit disheartening, but achieving your dream for all that effort and it not feeling right sucks a lot too.

Thinking about it, I wonder why she would even bother wearing them. Would someone who barely cares about humans/human society care about how big she looks?
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:23 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

MFrontier wrote:
Well, padded boobs were a bit disheartening, but achieving your dream for all that effort and it not feeling right sucks a lot too.

Thinking about it, I wonder why she would even bother wearing them. Would someone who barely cares about humans/human society care about how big she looks?

I figured she was just doing it to specifically mess with Denji?
Philville

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:46 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Everybody talking about sex and I am the only one more intrigued by the fact this anime is dealing with really heavy terrorist acts. One of them kinda looked a bit like what happened in 2001. I'm really surprised this series made it to the Weekly Shonen Jump considering present demographies being less violent when compared with previous works like Saint Seiya being toned down as the story progressed.

There was a frame that definitely showed what looked like one of the Twin Towers, but I suppose the "terrorism" aspect will be explained later. I was very impressed with the scene in the calm countryside (loved the snow and accompanying shift in tone) and even though I was expecting what happened to the house, it still had quite the impact.

MFrontier wrote:

There definitely seemed to be some kind of commentary on gun control since it’s stated pretty clearly that more people having firearms to defend themselves from devils is what lead to the creation of the Gun Devil and to the “terrorist” attacks (not that there’s necessarily a “moral” or political position here). This might just be a plot device and the episode makes it clear that the cataclysmic events are a worldwide phenomenon but as I see it this is the show’s way of telling us that this is not the real Japan where gun violence is a statistical anomaly.

andramus wrote:
I have mixed thoughts on this because I do think that an emotional connection enhances a sexual experience but I also believe that sex as a purely physical act between two (or more) parties can still be pleasurable and not a totally empty and unfulfilling experience. I think a meeting of minds and expectations is a needed component but not neccessarily a deep emotional bond.

Sex work in various forms from prostitution, stripping, webcams etc. gets repeat business from customers. Ultimately the customers might not feel emotionally fulfilled from the interaction but they fact they keep coming back means they are getting something out of the experience.

I forgot to say, in reference to the examples you give, that what's arguably key here is that customers "keep coming back" (as you put it), which is very different from an isolated sexual experience like a one-night-stand. We could argue that there's already a kind of attempt to create a fantasy "relationship" here -- maybe not a genuine "deep emotional bond", but a yearning for human connection nonetheless (which suggests that it isn't just about a "purely physical act"). I agree that any sexual encounter can "be pleasurable and not a totally empty and unfulfilling experience" but Makima is clearly suggesting in her own manipulative way that emotions play a big part in all of this (as I said, she’s f***ing with his mind and heart in addition to “using his balls to bypass his brain” as James puts it in the review).

jdnation wrote:
Or rather, where the lewdness and sexy tension in Chainsaw-Man does serve a story purpose, in most other shows it's besides the point and the budget is spent on the action instead. Doesn't help that most anime male protags will quiver and run away to a corner to maintain chastity, or the females will just yell "baka" and punch them for seeing them with a towel on, and that's pretty much the beginning and end of the scene.

This.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

There definitely seemed to be some kind of commentary on gun control since it’s stated pretty clearly that more people having firearms to defend themselves from devils is what lead to the creation of the Gun Devil and to the “terrorist” attacks (not that there’s necessarily a “moral” or political position here). This might just be a plot device and the episode makes it clear that the cataclysmic events are a worldwide phenomenon but as I see it this is the show’s way of telling us that this is not the real Japan where gun violence is a statistical anomaly.

Actual dialogue from a oneshot manga written by Fujimoto and released just before the start of CSM part 2:

Very Happy
Philville

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
@Shay Guy - Thanks for sharing... I guess that answers that question. Very Happy
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 might be my least favorite episode so far. They spent an entire episode discussing whether or not to kill Denji when they should've discussed whether or not to get rid of Kobeni. Good Lord she's absolutely insufferable. I saw someone calling her "female Zenitsu", and I'd have to agree.

As for the other side characters, the guy with the scar is just there, and spoiler[Himeno is a walking death flag].

Aki is surprisingly growing on me now that I'm watching the anime. The scene where he stuck gum on that girl's clothes was great, and the final scene where the main trio shows that they care about each other was really heartwarming.

"I'm gonna make it suffer 'till it wants to kill itself". Oh Denji, never change (just kidding please go to therapy).

Also, this is just a nitpick, but I'm still bothered by how weak Power is. You're telling me all the Blood Devil can do is control her own blood? And we later learn that spoiler[she becomes anemic very easily too]. I understand giving her control over all blood would've been too OP, but it really bugs me.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:23 am Reply with quote
The lack of action was a bit of a bummer, but I still found myself downcast when the episode ended. Something about watching Denji fall asleep in the middle of a time-prison crisis because the bed is so nice, while Power cracks jokes about winning a Nobel prize and the normal people slowly lose their minds, hit pretty well for me. It's been a while since I've loved the attitude of a show so much.

EDIT: Agree on Power being weirdly weak. I guess there's plenty of room for ambiguity in it, but it seems kind've in conflict with Makima's explanation of how demonic power works that the blood demon isn't overwhelmingly strong. I suppose the "strong" demon examples we've been given so far (gun, chainsaw) mostly derive from technology, so maybe we just have different intuitions than the author about what constitutes a powerful name?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
Power is a fiend, not a devil. Episode 2 defined that as a devil who has taken over a corpse. Based on what we have seen so far, it seems that being bound to a human body weakens the devil significantly. The latest episode also pointed out that fiends can't make contracts.
Philville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Episode 6 might be my least favorite episode so far. They spent an entire episode discussing whether or not to kill Denji when they should've discussed whether or not to get rid of Kobeni. Good Lord she's absolutely insufferable. I saw someone calling her "female Zenitsu", and I'd have to agree.

I can't stand Zenitsu either but I found Kobeni hilarious. Zenitsu "humor" just involves hysterical shouting, whereas this was the depiction of a nervous breakdown leading to absurdly desperate behavior (whether or not that should be a source of humor is a different matter). Everyone there is pretty much oblivious to her plight except for Power, who is actively enjoying her anguish (which was darkly funny in its own right), so they keep giving her responsibilities at the start of the episode despite the fact that she is clearly utterly dysfunctional. The scene with the knife had me laughing out loud (whereas most of the humor has been getting a chuckle out of me at most).

Speaking of Zenitsu, this episode gave me major Demon Slayer vibes.

Everlasting Coconut wrote:
"I'm gonna make it suffer 'till it wants to kill itself". Oh Denji, never change (just kidding please go to therapy).

Now that's funny. Laughing I also loved how Denji was just able to fall asleep instantly despite everything happening around him (as someone who suffers from occasional insomnia, I can only envy him).

blahmoomoo wrote:
Power is a fiend, not a devil. Episode 2 defined that as a devil who has taken over a corpse. Based on what we have seen so far, it seems that being bound to a human body weakens the devil significantly. The latest episode also pointed out that fiends can't make contracts.

That's how I see it. I guess it's also supposed to be ironic, given her name. As far as I see it it's still far too early in the series for Power to unleash her full... power. I haven't read the manga but I'm sure we'll eventually get an episode where her powers awaken (I suspect she isn't even fully aware of her full potential at this point), probably in a life-or-death situation involving Denji. She's gotta have some kind of secret OP blood art technique or some such thing (all of this is pure speculation on my part, though).
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Kobeni's voice actor, Takahashi Karin, also voices Morikubo Nono from Cinderella Girls and Van Gogh from FGO. She's got a monopoly on screaming and crying nervous wrecks lol
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I love me some Kobeni noises and suffering. Her VA did an amazing job. If only she could've just gone into college instead of being forced to either become a hooker or fight devils for a living. Is it any wonder she completely crashed? And then she brings out a knife.

Is Power the Prime Minister Japan deserves? I imagine Meowy would have a cabinet position.

Nice to get more exploration of Himeno and Aki's relationship and history of each other. Her face after he defended her and the intimacy of their cigarettes together, not to mention how overprotective of Aki Himeno is, tells me she cares about him a wee bit more than just a normal partner she's desperate to have survive because all the rest died.

Nothing cements a friendship like taking a knife for a dude in true dark-haired, shonen, tsundere fashion.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6 is weaker, and I felt the same when I read it in the manga... That said, it is the weakest in comparison to every other chapter in Chainsaw-Man, and it is still pretty good! There was necessary exposition and character set ups here that will pay off, so it slowed down a tad. In fact the stellar production helped elevate it. Us animation fans continue to eat!

But now that the weakest part of the manga has passed... get ready for TOTAL F***ING DESTRUCTION and plenty of FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU..... from here on out as the story starts to accelerate and never stop never stopping! Except of course for good pacing between ass-kickery.

Also I agree that the ED this time was also the weakest. The presentation was m'eh, especially compared to ep 5's OUTSTANDING ED, which admittedly is a tough act to follow; but worst is that the song was also passable. Even ep 1's typical scrolling white text on black credits at least had a good track. So to come in under that is quite a feat.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
This episode was great, all around. All the VA's are doing a wonderful job; in particular the range of Mariya Ise's as Himeno. We see her playful, somber, panicked, flirty, and sultry, and each one is slightly different sounding while still clearly being the same character. I knew the vomit part was coming but oh man, I don't think an anime scene has made me actually gag before. This ED was also one of my favorites, with it's Vaporwave/retro game/80's anime aesthetic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10