• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Coffee Brewed In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bin1127

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
The good ole boiler pot hahaha so many uses and such a waste of electricity. It's very convenient with only once in a while maintenance to soak with vinegar cause calcium scale builds up and actually gets into your water if you don't clean it. But never used it for cup ramen before, don't think it's really hot enough.

Just watched a video of the siphon pot thingy Justin talked about and it's quite a neat contraption. Imagine, a device you can make coffee from, then afterwards start your new batch of meth.
zarzam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
zarzam wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

It's not that they don't function at all, they function but not well enough. Or just well enough for decent coffee, but not quite well enough for decent tea. When my parents - major tea drinkers - were on the US leg of their round-the-world trip a few years ago, they complained greatly about that.

UK outlets have a crazy amperage rating (and they are 220v), so the appliances can be really high-power. You'd need a special plug to run a typical UK electric kettle at full power in the US.

The only difference between US and UK kettles is the time it takes to reach a boil, both will boil quite handily.

That's what I was trying to say. The maximum power on a US 15A outlet is 1800 watts, On 220 volts you'll get twice that. Some UK outlets go to 30A, which is nuts.
mbanu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
Your average American doesn't really understand how coffee works. It's the black magic from the magic machine; no magic machine, no black magic. Smile

I mean, how else do you explain the popularity of the Keurig, which is an elaborate machine for making a single cup of coffee, when a single cup of coffee can literally be made by dumping coffee grounds into a filter, pouring boiling water over them, and waiting a few minutes?

If anything the question should be why Americans use coffee machines in non-institutional settings, where you are unlikely to need a whole pot of coffee all at once. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
@mbanu

The whole time I was growing up, my parents had a 6 cup percolator coffee pot. It was set up with coffee and water in it just before they went to bed and the first person up plugged it in. They had no trouble at all using the whole contents every morning. If visitors came over later a new pot would be made. It remained in use through the evening meal. Even when they shifted to the then new coffee machine, I don't think it made more than 4 - 6 cups. Most Americans drink a lot of coffee.

Thinking back over the coffee drinkers I have known, they tend to drink coffee like they breath. If the air smells bad, you don't stop breathing. Likewise, if the coffee tasted bad they drank it anyway, they just complained if it was really bad. (as far as I could tell it never tasted good Laughing )
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
Your average American doesn't really understand how coffee works. It's the black magic from the magic machine; no magic machine, no black magic. Smile

I mean, how else do you explain the popularity of the Keurig, which is an elaborate machine for making a single cup of coffee, when a single cup of coffee can literally be made by dumping coffee grounds into a filter, pouring boiling water over them, and waiting a few minutes?

If anything the question should be why Americans use coffee machines in non-institutional settings, where you are unlikely to need a whole pot of coffee all at once. Smile

Indeed, as Alan45 pointed out, Americans consume a LOT of coffee. And the more desensitized you get to the stuff, the more of it you drink. Some people consume coffee like a normal person would water. And some move on to energy drinks, many of which come in roughly half-liter cans, like Monster and Nos.

As for the popularity of the Keurig machines, it's sheer convenience. Just load the thing with water, add in the cup, close the lid, and you're good to go. You don't need to scoop anything, you don't need to grab a filter, you don't need to boil water (the machine will do that for you), and you don't need any containers besides the cup you'll drink it in and the little packet with the grounds inside. That's incredibly appealing for people who wake up with extremely low energy levels and will greatly appreciate any greater level of convenience. Keurig machines are also handy for if different people want different kinds of coffee. (They've been declining in popularity as of late though, due to the heavy DRM of the more recent Keurig machines.)

Keurig machines are expensive, as are Keurig packets. Unless you're a hardcore coffee fan who must get it imported from a specific maker and prepared using super-specialized equipment, the only way your coffee will be more expensive is if you got it all at Starbucks or some other specialty coffee place. Of course, that's even more convenient still, as it's made entirely by someone else--you just buy it, wait for it, and pick it up.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I see. I noticed mine was pretty quick...then it went missing, possibly stolen. When I tried looking for another electric water boiler, I could only find them beginning at US$70, with most of them being in the range of US$100 to US$150. I that about how much they are in the UK?

Having had a quick look at one of our stores that sells a fair amount of consumer electronics (Argos) gives me a price range get of £5.49- £89.99 ($7.07- $115.92). Personally I'd say you'd pay £25.00 ($32.00) or so for a decent one myself.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The old fashion coffee pots you sometimes see in Western (cowboy) movies didn't have any mechanism at all. They were just a pot you heated water in. When hot you put the ground coffee in the water and set it near enough to the fire to keep it hot but not boiling. If you were fussy, you waited for the grounds to settle to the bottom of the cup before you drank it. I expect a pot sitting on the fire all day could get rather strong.

Coffee is like liquor, you basically don't drink it for the flavor but for the other "benefits" it provides. People new to both tend to add all sorts of ingredients to hide the taste. Eventually you convince yourself it tastes good and are able to differentiate various flavors. It really still tastes like hell though. Wink
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:

Having had a quick look at one of our stores that sells a fair amount of consumer electronics (Argos) gives me a price range get of £5.49- £89.99 ($7.07- $115.92). Personally I'd say you'd pay £25.00 ($32.00) or so for a decent one myself.

Heh, I see. The ones here in the US really are a notch higher in price.

As others have mentioned, though, the lower voltage in the United States means our electric kettles boil somewhat slower. How much do they hold? I remember mine held about 2 liters, which was enough for myself in college. I don't think it would've been enough if I had to share it though.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
zarzam wrote:

That's what I was trying to say. The maximum power on a US 15A outlet is 1800 watts, On 220 volts you'll get twice that. Some UK outlets go to 30A, which is nuts.

AFAIK No standard UK outlet is 30amp, as the maximum rating for the BS 1363 3 pin plug is only 13 amps (and can get quite warm if you're pushing that for a while*), you could theoretically get 26amps from a double socket if you plugged in two 13amp appliances but that would be pushing it.
The ring main may be 30 amp, but the standard sockets and plugs are only rated 13amp maximum, to get more you'd need to use a non standard socket and plug or replace the fuse in the plug and replace it with something heavier.

However you can get dedicated circuits that are rated at 30-40amp as a single point connection, usually found for cookers, electric showers that are hard wired in, and if you've got an electric car you can get a fast charge connection which will be 30amp but uses a specific socket design.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
]

As others have mentioned, though, the lower voltage in the United States means our electric kettles boil somewhat slower. How much do they hold? I remember mine held about 2 liters, which was enough for myself in college. I don't think it would've been enough if I had to share it though.

The capacity of standard kettles in the UK tends to be about 1.7L (enough to make a pot of tea for about 5-6 people using standard mugs*), although they range from travel kettles that might do 500ml to some of the larger kettles at 2L.
A good "rapid boil" 1.7l kettle will boil a full tank from cold in about 3 minutes, and it's becoming common to advertise how fast they'll boil a single cup (about 45 seconds for our one)..

If you needed more at one go you'd go with a "tea urn" style kettle/water boiler which is basically a large kettle with a 5-10L tank, usually used for things like meetings, cafe's and emergency catering where you need a portable water heater/kettle that can heat a lot of water in a short time using a standard power outlet (one of my friends jokes that he needs one, as we play wargames at his house and there can be a 8-10 of us drinking tea from half litre mugs).
They start at about £40, but go up rapidly in price, much like kettles do here.

As an aside we tend to spend about £25-30 per kettle, usually getting a "cordless" (round base that has a cord, then the kettle itself sits on it so there is no pulling the cable around or plugging/unplugging it when you fill or pour), model with a built in limescale filter as we're in a hard water area and the kettle is being used at least once an hour during the day if we're at home Smile (I drink an easy 8-10 cups of tea a day).

*Most UK mugs hold roughly 300ml.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Coffee is like liquor, you basically don't drink it for the flavor but for the other "benefits" it provides. People new to both tend to add all sorts of ingredients to hide the taste. Eventually you convince yourself it tastes good and are able to differentiate various flavors. It really still tastes like hell though. Wink

Speak for yourself, dude. Maybe if you've only ever had bad coffee and bad liquor...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
@Sakagami Tomoyo

To each his own. Both are not something people like instinctively. I never quite saw the point in acquiring a taste for something else expensive and not really very good for me. In the case of liquor, I disliked the taste and hated the way it made me feel. There was never any need to learn to like coffee.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Both are not something people like instinctively.

Again: speak for yourself. Just because you don't like it instinctively, doesn't mean no-one likes it instinctively.

I don't mind if you don't like it - as you say, to each his own. I'm certainly not saying it's mandatory to like coffee or liquor, just that not everyone does so out of acquiring a taste for it from wanting the effects from them. For instance, everyone who drinks decaffeinated coffee; they're not getting the effects, so that just leaves the taste they're drinking it for.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Both are not something people like instinctively.

Again: speak for yourself. Just because you don't like it instinctively, doesn't mean no-one likes it instinctively.

He did clearly say to each their own. No need to badger another user.

mbanu wrote:

You underestimate how much coffee we drink at one sitting or in one day lol. Shoot, any place I've worked with a coffee machine they had full pots all day long and had to refill them and brew more many times during the day. Now obviously at home is different. However much of the time many couples will have a cup before leaving and then take one to go as well. If you have both people doing it that's a good 6 cups probably in terms of volume.

Plus think of this, all that extra coffee means that it can be made into iced coffee for later. Smile
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
He did clearly say to each their own. No need to badger another user.

Not intending to badger anyone - merely setting the record straight on them not being things people instinctively like. And I clearly acknowledged to each his own, and state I have no issue with him not liking them.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
For instance, everyone who drinks decaffeinated coffee; they're not getting the effects, so that just leaves the taste they're drinking it for.

It also leaves the habit... (Don't underestimate the power of habit!) And the sugar for those who drink their coffee so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6